• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

142 GTL External Speaker Jack

Sep 1, 2020
I’m going to build an external speaker cabinet out of walnut to match the profile of a Cobra 142 GTL. Can anyone tell me if the speaker jack on the radio accepts a standard 3.5mm mono plug? Also, are cb speakers generally standard 8 ohm? I have custom built many hardwood cabinet stereo speakers over the years but this is my first cb attempt. Any advice on noise canceling circuits or other design ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Dmans

Online owners manual shows 4-8 ohm speaker impedance, 4 watt minimum. Manual didn't state ext spk plug size, but if memory serves it is 3.5mm. Am not intelligent enough to advise on noise cancelling circuit, lots of folks here that are. Great project. Will stand-by for photos when complete.

Reactions: CherokeeSoccer
Online owners manual shows 4-8 ohm speaker impedance, 4 watt minimum. Manual didn't state ext spk plug size, but if memory serves it is 3.5mm. Am not intelligent enough to advise on noise cancelling circuit, lots of folks here that are. Great project. Will stand-by for photos when complete.

Thank you! I’m researching now to find a reasonably priced, possibly dual coned speaker small enough to fit in such a low profile cabinet. I can make the cabinet as wide as it needs to be but the height is limited in order to match the radios profile. I’m thinking maybe an oval speaker but having difficulty finding one small enough that I think will produce good audio. I want to get some correctly sized jack plugs to test different speakers I have laying around to get an idea of sound quality in something that small before I spend the $$ on a better speaker. I will take photos through different phases of the project and share them.

Reactions: Slowmover
Thank you! I’m researching now to find a reasonably priced, possibly dual coned speaker small enough to fit in such a low profile cabinet. I can make the cabinet as wide as it needs to be but the height is limited in order to match the radios profile. I’m thinking maybe an oval speaker but having difficulty finding one small enough that I think will produce good audio. I want to get some correctly sized jack plugs to test different speakers I have laying around to get an idea of sound quality in something that small before I spend the $$ on a better speaker. I will take photos through different phases of the project and share them.

I’ve seen some HAM speaker/cabinet overhauls online. Worth a search.

Also discussions of what’s best as to speaker itself (human voice audio range).

My first consideration is determining the type of surround the speaker employs. IMO foam is not acceptable for any speaker application. Butyl Rubber and various fiber type surrounds will last a life time. Foam, maybe 15 years if you’re lucky.

I would be tempted to use the drivers out of a center channel speaker used in an entertainment center.
I’m actually leaning that way because of a few things I’ve been reading. I know they are designed for good voice audio. Now I need to find a center channel speaker that will fit the cabinet height. I really don’t want to take apart my Polk center channel! lol Thanks for helping me decide!

OP, you might have a look at my thread on the KENWOOD KES-5 Mobile Speaker.

Cheap to buy used, and sold when new to accommodate 60 KENWOOD public service radios. Mil-Spec.

IOW, where understanding coded language can be life & death.

I’d want it as “control” to any other speaker.

Another speaker might be more pleasant to which to listen . . . but it cannot give up that which the 5 does under difficult circumstance.

eBay.

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if a 3.5mm was the same as the old 1/8”. I’m definitely old school. lol
Rather than cobbling a custom cable with plug and wire, I save a little soldering time by buying a 3.5mm mono male to 3.5mm mono male patch cable. Cutting the cable in half will give you an extra to be used on other projects. They come in various lengths and the price difference is negligible compared to making your own. Having a solid molded plug with a shielded cable is a plus IMO.

My first consideration is determining the type of surround the speaker employs. IMO foam is not acceptable for any speaker application. Butyl Rubber and various fiber type surrounds will last a life time. Foam, maybe 15 years if you’re lucky.
I agree. Paper was the best sound quality and had a more responsive range. The stereo speakers I’ve built over the years have used all types and I think the paper always has a better sound and they last forever.
Parts Express has lots of full range mini speakers: https://www.parts-express.com/cat/mini-speakers/27
Thank you!

Rather than cobbling a custom cable with plug and wire, I save a little soldering time by buying a 3.5mm mono male to 3.5mm mono male patch cable. Cutting the cable in half will give you an extra to be used on other projects. They come in various lengths and the price difference is negligible compared to making your own. Having a solid molded plug with a shielded cable is a plus IMO.
Thanks for the great idea!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.