• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1446 in a cobra 29?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skirtchaser

Sep 18, 2005
N.Western Arizona
Hi then and hello again,
A friend of mine is trying to get a 1446 transistor to work in a cobra 29.the original final has been removed,the stock heat sink has been removed, and the final is mounted to the rear chassis at the closest point to the output lead, with an external heat sink pirated from a galaxy 44, 13.5 volts tapped from transformer supply, he is using the stock driver. So far it has good audio characteristics on the scope and to the ear, but at only 16 w.pep, available modulation is abundant (seriously, loads of modulation if he tunes it for low output power) but no combination of experimental open air transformer /cap loading has been able to increase output power.
The question is, how to get the "horsepower" out of the pill, I mean 16 watts is not in any way exciting. Any suggestions?
THX

im just a duck still in the egg when it comes to doing mods . but even i know thats quackers . the cobra doesnt have the supporting hardware the 1446 needs to operate . by the time you add it you may as well build it as an external amp .

ok..... im an idiot (no suprise there) a friend of let me know hes been doing that mod for years to 29s and 78s . when im wrong im wrong . justin and others did that mod but they wernt the first .

I wouldn't even attempt to do it, I don't have the "engineer" mind but it is a project of a friend of mine and I told him I would ask here and see if the 411 to do so was in the database of the masses.The answer to every question I have ever had RE: radio has been available here, and although Kelly is not PC savvy he has an aptitude for radio work. He's more of a repair tech but the 29 W/ the 1446 is a project of his he tinkers with in his spare time.
Anyone have a thumb nail sketch or schematic of how to do it correctlly ?

Gotta agree with both masterchief and linearone on this. Bad idea but if it is done it definately needs more drive. A simple pill replacement does not necessarily mean more power output.In most cases the replacement higher power pill needs more drive to achieve higher power output.

He went up in size one time and the key was not affected. I keep thinking it is a loading issue. Wave form was atrocious when the 1969 was left in place, I thought it might be robbing juice from the power supply, Is it possible that a simple replacement of the 1969, supplying input to the pill from the output of the 1969, supplying power with a connection to the 12.5 on the power supply input, grounding, and re tune the tank is what it takes?

HOLLY MOLLEY! I do believe that I saw an airborne bovine device fly through my shack, and I am positive that the devil himself is experiencing a chill!
Freecell had a O N E - W O R D - A N S W E R to a question!
(Just bustin' your balls Jack I got nuthin' but love for you brother.).
I KNEW he had the answer, hell, he's been setting up this combination for quite a while, and he charges a reasonable price for a rig set up this way, but he is holding the 411 as a closely guarded secret,and I respect that, he has to make a living like the rest of us. I think he's waiting to see if anyone else here has what it takes. I know I don't (read... gomer)
I already have the best sounding mobile rig on .385 (next to NAO 911) with my 292 radio shop set up Grant XL W/ SP1A and BUM 1 mic., through a four pill, and out through 5" Power Sticks. (I DO know Jack!) so I don't really need to buy an inferior receiver, non side band ,squash box. HOWEVER my friend Kelly is infatuated with this idea and I told him I would find out what I could to try to help.
SO, any body here half as good as Freecell? (I await the results)

skirt chaser wrote
"SO, any body here half as good as Freecell?"

where is ampower ? ive got a box of butter flavored popcorn and could use a good laugh .

Jack is da man .

skirtchaser said:
I already have the best sounding mobile rig on .385 (next to NAO 911) with my 292 radio shop set up Grant XL W/ SP1A and BUM 1 mic.
Jack has my original Cobra 148 GTL w/ Justin's GasFet receiver mod, a Cobra 450XL that I bought from him, and my Skywave Amp. I'm chompin' at the bit to get this equipment back and see for myself how good freecell is. I'm pretty excited about the new radio/amp combo!

(BTW, a ICOM/Kenwood/Yaesu combo would work MUCH better than ANY Grant......on .385!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.