• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 and 440 emergency freq

There is no emergency calling frequencies that I am aware of on 2m, or 440, on FM. There are national calling frequencies which are simplex and you may catch someone listening. Any of the frequencies can be an emergency frequency really. You'll need to know if there is 15khz or 20khz stepping on 2m for your area as well. Assuming you're a licensed ham, it won't be a problem learning where to find people.

MAYBE.... most repeaters are so dead you could lock them down with death metal for a week and nobody would notice.

Well that "dead zone" would certainly extend a LOT farther than the normal simplex range therefore you stand a better chance of raising someone on a repeater simply because of the greater area served. Besides, "dead" repeaters have been know to spring to life when someone says "This is VE1XXX with emergency traffic! Any station copy!". Been down that road. Literally. No guarantees either way but the sheer number of people monitoring a repeater versus a simplex freq with limited range sways heavily in favour of repeaters.

The St Louis area repeaters are quite alot,but somone always listening.I dont.Have a ht as far a my only 2mtr stuff.But theres always someone on 146.52 simplex or 146.400 in my state.73 de JW

To answer the question.

In the USA if there is an emergency then any means of communications can be used, any frequency etc, etc.

When studying for a license this is explained in detail,

To answer the question.

In the USA if there is an emergency then any means of communications can be used, any frequency etc, etc.

When studying for a license this is explained in detail,

that is absolutely incorrect.

part 97.111 (a) (2) & (3) does NOT authorize the usage of ANY method/freq/ect. of communication. the only part 97 FCC reference to "any" is in part 97.403.

part 97.403 states that "NO provision of these rules PREVENTS the use..." ,............... "Prevents" is the key word. not "preventing" is not FCC authorization to actually USE a dedicated frequency.

I know (for a FACT), that an Amateur was charged for using the San Diego county sheriffs repeater during an "emergency".

he used the "any means, any how" emergency usage concept ,................ and was found guilty as charged by a MUNICIPAL court.:blink:

part 97.111 (a) (2) & (3) does NOT authorize the usage of ANY method/freq/ect. of communication. the only part 97 FCC reference to "any" is in part 97.403.

part 97.403 states that "NO provision of these rules PREVENTS the use..." ,............... "Prevents" is the key word. not "preventing" is not FCC authorization to actually USE a dedicated frequency.

I know (for a FACT), that an Amateur was charged for using the San Diego county sheriffs repeater during an "emergency".

he used the "any means, any how" emergency usage concept ,................ and was found guilty as charged by a MUNICIPAL court.:blink:

I don't know all the particulars of your friend's situation, but it was explained to me when I studied/tested that it had better be a last resort... and that Law Enforcement departments take a real hard line on this. It HAS to be life/death situation, and that you can't flag somebody down to assist, your cell phone doesn't work or have coverage, you can't raise anyone on the cb that you have in your car, or anyone on 2 meters, or 440, or whatever Ham radio you have in your car.

Of course I'm thinking, during all this messing around trying to get help, you could have already raised someone by using the Sheriff department's repeater, right? If it is truly life or death, who cares if you get charged if you've saved someone's life. Turn it over to the local news station and let the guys that arrested you look like idiots.

As far as me raising someone for help locally, the DFW metro area is pretty active. When it is dead (evenings, mid day) there is usually someone monitorinig the local repeaters (and simplex call freq's) with a scanner "just in case" there is emergency traffic. Most of these guys are retired or work from a home office, but they are listening and do answer. I'm sure every town is different.

Brett

When normal communications systems are not available, amateur stations may make transmissions necessary to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property [47 CFR 97.403]. This provision of emergency communications is regulated by Part 97, Subpart E of the FCC's rules. One advantage for amateur radio operators in public emergency communications is the wide range of available frequencies [47CFR 97.407].5

E. Emergency Communications[edit]
Subpart E contains four sections, numbered 97.401–407.
Subpart E supports the service of amateur radio operators in times of disaster by establishing basic standard operating procedures to use in case an emergency should occur. Primarily, it authorizes any use of radio technology for the "immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property," regardless of all other FCC regulations, when no alternative is available. It also establishes the Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES), a civil defense communications service intended for activation in times of war or threat to national security.

Enough said(y)

Last edited:
All other forms of communication available at the time MUST be exhausted before an attempt is made using unauthorized frequencies such as sheriff's frequency etc. THAT is indeed the law. Many have interpreted it differently and have been charged.

There is indeed a difference between "authorizing" and "not preventing". "Authorizing" implies consent free from consequences while "not preventing" implies that it is permissible with certain restrictions.

Reactions: 1 person
There are NO designated 'Emergency' frequencies in the amateur bands. The FCC can, and has designated emergency frequencies in specific, on going, and verified emergency situations. But it has been in specific causes and of specific durations. If these occasions are of a national or global nature, the amateur service is typically suspended. (Historical reference.)
This 'EMCOMM' thingy is being carried way too far and in an unreasonable manner.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
When normal communications systems are not available, amateur stations may make transmissions necessary to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property [47 CFR 97.403]. This provision of emergency communications is regulated by Part 97, Subpart E of the FCC's rules. One advantage for amateur radio operators in public emergency communications is the wide range of available frequencies [47CFR 97.407].5

E. Emergency Communications[edit]
Subpart E contains four sections, numbered 97.401–407.
Subpart E supports the service of amateur radio operators in times of disaster by establishing basic standard operating procedures to use in case an emergency should occur. Primarily, it authorizes any use of radio technology for the "immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property," regardless of all other FCC regulations, when no alternative is available. It also establishes the Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service (RACES), a civil defense communications service intended for activation in times of war or threat to national security.

Enough said(y)

well, thank you for removing the "smart assed remark":D

contact with the FCC enforcement division over this exact issue, on May, 2013, resulted in this (paraphrased) reply: part 97 only covers Amateur frequencies and that usage of "any freq" was NOT supported by part 97 except on AMATEUR frequencies.

Their response was centered around the argument that any radio operator using a non-certified Part 90 or 95 radio in a part of the spectrum that one is not licensed to use is either:
(A) against FCC rules and the operator can be fined for such radio use, or,

( B) that under part 97.403 an amateur radio operator is allowed under certain emergency situations to use a modified amateur radio transceiver on Part 90 or 95 frequencies to obtain help, without fear of being fined or having their licensed revoked.

The rules are clear that in order to use Part 90 or 95 spectrum, the operator must have the correct licensing and certified radios to use those services.

However, many amateur radio operators will quote the following Part 97 rules stating that in an extreme emergency situation any radio on any frequency is acceptable to use for assistance. Part 97.403 states that “No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radio communication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

Part 97 does not contain any “privileges authorized” for amateur radio operators that include Part 90 or Part 95 frequencies.

Part 90 and 95 both require the use of certificated equipment. Use of modified amateur radio transceivers on Part 90 or 95 frequencies violate the rules because modified amateur radio equipment is not certified for either Part 90 or 95 radio services.

The rules are clear that in order to use Part 90 or 95 spectrum, the operator must have the correct licensing and certified radios to use those services.

Bottom line: part 97 does not "prevent" it,..... but,................ both parts 95.409 and 90.203 DO make that action clearly illegal.

BTW: your reference to 97.407 Subpart E has nothing to do with this discussion. 97.407 only pertains to RACES stations operation on designated Amateur frequencies 97.407 (b) .

Last edited:
Primarily, it authorizes any use of radio technology for the "immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property," regardless of all other FCC regulations, when no alternative is available

It states specifically. "Immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property"

REGARDLESS of all other FCC regulations.

I am not a lawyer but either your "friend" did not meet the requirements stated above or was not represented properly in the court of law.

The law is open to interpretation, that is why I do not practice it, or argue it.

I leave that up to educated idiots.

You are welcome on my removing the smart as comment. Some people are just not worth wasting time on.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.