• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 element quad or 3g4 element Gizmotchy?

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Anyone use the 2 or three element Gizmotchy? I was reading the review thread, then at the last post, the review link was dead. I've heard good vibes from their 2 and 6 meter Gizmos, but not much on the 10/11 meter. Boom length is gismottified.

Not a whole lot of research on beams on my end . Well some , it was $ . I had a Moon Raker years back , didn't want to pay all that $ for a Big Metal Kite on my roof again .Looked @ Gizmotchy's but = more $ . So I went w/ Sirio 27-4 $ 159 W/ Free Shipping through , wait for it ... Walmart ! I'm sure it will be a major improvement over my A-99 & Wire for chatting Dx . When it ever gets decent again ! :LOL: Time will tell !;)

That looks nice. One reason I was looking at the Gizmotchy, is it would allow for easier installation on my 36' pipe mast that's bracketed to my house. The way the bottom elements come out at an angle would probably clear my roofs when it's lowered into the installation position. A two element quad would probably make it to.

In the picture, I'm standing on the kitchen roof. If you look at where the collar reducer on the bottom pipe, it is nipple height on me. The inside pipe, when lowered, leaves 12" sticking up. The pitch of the main roof makes it hard fanangling elements. The house next door, doesn't help. IMG_20190809_151617059_HDR.jpg

I had a V-Quad up once. It was fairly easy with how the elements were right angled.

My new roof tripod will eliminate this cluster.

Attachments

• IMG_20190809_151630488.jpg
    IMG_20190809_151630488.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190809_151621136.jpg
    IMG_20190809_151621136.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: S&W357
Mud , we must think a like ! When I moved here 20 years ago I found a Galv Push pole left out back . Did the same install for my A-99 . Wow you do live in tight quarters ! Living rural has it's advantages , my closest house is 500' away , it's the damn trees ! But I remedied that last Spring , 8 big interfering trees ... Gone .:)

Reactions: S&W357
Yes, I'm limited here. We used to live in the house to the right. Moved here in 1971 when the old neighbor lady died. That pole has been up since 71. My dad put up an old ground plane and TV antenna on it. When he passed, I bought this house 5 years ago. I still have my old house about 35 miles from here. It's on the edge of town with 3.5 acres. I had a decent antenna farm there. My ex lives in it now with her cousin. We are best friends. When this stupid market slows down, we're talking of selling it to finance something out in the boonies. She'll have her place and I'll haul in some sort of shack. She's an old school hillbilly and enjoys living off the grid. My adult son with with Autism, will stay here with 24 hour in home aides.

My back lot here, has huge Oak trees that prohibit installing anything out back. My neighbors would revolt if I trimmed it.

God Bless you ! We lived in a small water front community before moving here . I miss the H20 but not living real close to people . My Old place 5,000 sq feet for a lot , here like your other place over 3.5 ac .

I read something somewhere that said the element spacing on the gizmochy was not optimized and a yagi beam would out preform it. I will see if I can find it.

Shadetree, if you find the reference and it shows the dimensions for the Giz that improves the antenna...please give me those dimensions and I will fix the Giz model and post it too.

My model of this 3 element Giz, set to horizontal, is most likely very close to the specs. The same for this 3 element Maco M-103CH, but I got those specs from the Maco manual. I made sure these two models had similar segment lengths.

They both are fed with a ''simulated'' gamma match. This means I just moved the gamma feed point around on the radiator until I found the best matching results. They are both isolated (ISO) from the mast by 4" inches, and this simulates a mast with no common mode currents on the model that will skew the results.

There looks to be very little difference in rejection for these two...with the best going to the Maco.

Attachments

• Giz 3 element Horizontal vs. Maco M103CH.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
I built my own 2-element quad a few years ago, and it did a very good job even w/o a matching balun. After I added the balun it really pulled in the DX. It came down in a storm and I have a 4 element up now that is even better.

View attachment 30576

Just curious, what did you use for a matching balun? Was it 1:1 or something else?

The balun does not match your coax. You use one to reduce common mode currents on your coax if it is other than 50 ohms at the feed point.

???? A balun will indeed reduce common mode current on the feedline however just because the feedpoint impedance is not 50 ohms does not mean common mode currents are present. Also a balun is indeed used for impedance transformation. A 1.5 to 1 works nicely on a dipole with a feedpoint impedance of around 70 ohms and a 9 to 1 works great for the transition from coax to 450 ohm ladder line.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.