• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 Meter Antenna Location

AL567

Aug 3, 2013
Tennessee
I've got a mag mount 2 meter antenna but I want to go to a hard mount. Before I hard mount this antenna I want to make sure there won't be any conflicts with my other antenna being so close. I have a sirio 5000 10/11 meter hard mounted already and I would be hard mounting the 2 meter antenna about 4 inches away from the 10/11 meter sirio. I could go 6 inches but no further than that or i'd really be getting into the headliner more than I want to. While i'm already hard mounting I might go ahead get a dual band antenna now and get it over with. Will this be a problem or cause problems with either radio the antennae being so close together ? Thanks

Last edited:

Six inches is REALLY close and with much movement they could actually hit each other and THAT would not be good for either radio connected if you were transmitting at the time. It might even be impossible to get a proper tune of the antennas at that distance.

Six inches is REALLY close and with much movement they could actually hit each other and THAT would not be good for either radio connected if you were transmitting at the time. It might even be impossible to get a proper tune of the antennas at that distance.
Thanks for the reply back..
My sirio is centered toward the rear and I was wanting to center the 2 meter but I could put the 2 meter on the left or right side of the vehicle which would put more distance between the two. Would that work? It would create a lot more distance. How efficient would it be on one side of the vehicle as to the center?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 265
OK,
May I suggest that you look at a mount that would bolt to the fender and raise up between the hood and fender, like those for full size pick ups.

I'll look into that mount. I've seen a few mounted that way next to trunks and hoods. I don't want to do anything in rush judgement but if possible I really like hard mounting but I'll do the fender type mount if the roof option won't work. My car is hatchback so I'm limited on mounting ideas and I don't like mag mounts. Fender option not a bad idea though.

Last edited:
I never did like the glass mount idea for anything except cell phones. that's just my own personal opinion. I hate those things with a passion for two way radio.

6 inch is way to close and will cause problems .Go for a guard mount as bin rat suggested . They come in all different shapes and bends so you should be able to find one that fits . If you really want to drill a hole in your roof . Try middle of the front of the cab.You can access through the interior dome light and should be able to route the cable without removing the head lining .A little s/s 1/4 wave would work well there , or a 5/8th if your really keen:D. On the guard I would use a 1/2 wave to get the extra height above the roof .I found the CD 28 41 70 series from RFI work well ( dont know if you have them in the states)PS make sure you seal with sicaflex or neutral cure silastic ( do not use acetic cure silastic )

I never did like the glass mount idea for anything except cell phones. that's just my own personal opinion. I hate those things with a passion for two way radio.

I ran a Larsen Kul-Rod series 2m half wave glass mount for several years on the rear side window of an extended cab Ford Ranger and it worked quite well actually. I know of all the controversy surrounding them and how well they do or don't work however like I said it did work quite well.

I ran a Larsen Kul-Rod series 2m half wave glass mount for several years ....

same here with a Larsen on the rear window of my Explorer,.... never had any problems with it. I

to be honest,.....I don't think I ever used more than 10 watts from my 50 watt rated FM radio

in fact, I sold the Explorer but removed the antenna, I just might get the right adhesive and mount it on another vehicle.

What are we talking about through glass or glass mount you can get both for vhf.With over 10 years experience with commercial twoways i can tell you this . Yes through glass will work at vhf but over 95 % of the ones we fitted ,regardless of brand, ended up being replaced with more conventional types. In the end we only used them when we couldn't fit anything else.Uhf through glass seemed to do better though but they were mostly colinear types.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.