• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

??? 2 Radios

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
A friend just gave me an Icom f11 and a Motorola Radius 1225. These are business band yes? I have been thinking of getting into ham radio, can these radios listen in on the channels some of you guys use.

Thanks

Yes you can listen only!! Not illegal to listen, only to TX. Do you know what frequencies they use??

Unfortunately, they aren't charged. I'll have to go onto eBay and get a charger for the one you guys think would be better to scan on.

I don't think either will cover much of the 2 meter band. So, unless you can get them reprogrammed (good luck), not sure either would do much good.
- 'Doc

Getting a Motorola radio reprogrammed may be expensive. They protect their software like a rabid dog.
I think I wouldn't spend any money on them buying a charger etc. You would be better off for listening with even an inexpensive older scanner as long as it is not crystal controlled. Most of them would cover all the VHF/UHF ham bands entirely.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd just buy a Baofeng UV-5R and program it with Chirp. :D It will probably cost you as much as the charger for one of the free rigs you got.

Brett

If you want to listen to 2 meters and 440 get a Baofeng handie talkie for 40.00... Then start a week of study and get your ticket. :bdh:

I used to use the P1225. I had a bunch of them and had twp P1225 mobiles. But I also had the programming software, programming cables and RIB box to do the programming. Unless you have all that stuff or know someone who does and will program the radio for you it's not worth the effort. You can buy a brand new Amateur HT for far less than the equipment needed to program the P1225. I almost forgot, There is also a trick to programming in the 70cm amateur band freqs which I've already forgotten. They won't just program normally with the Moto software..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?