• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2011 AIRVENTURE EAA OSHKOSH WISCONSIN

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
This is a huge even and really cool to see some of the fighter jets and experimental aircraft and things in action. I have a friend that lives right off the end of the main runway so Ill DJ for his anual party and see one hell of a show again.

I dont know how many of you have ever got to anything like this but eventhough its a bit pricey its a lifetime of awsome lifetime memory of sounds and scenes. Its truly amazing at the capabilities of some of these aircraft.

Whats really cool is theres a radio station that broadcasts live some of the pilots flying these aircraft as they talk to the DJ its really cool. This will be my kids first time seeing this and their all hyped for tomorrow I explained how loud some of these aircraft are and some of the bombing field drills they do put on quite a sound and light show.

I am a helicoptor enthusiest but some of these jets and airplanes are amazing and if the sight s dont grab your attention the sound will. Im bringing a few multiband HT's to listen to I have the entire frequency chart for the airstrip. If possible Ill have the wife grab some pics when the jets are low enough and hovering.

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh - The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration

Wisconsin Scanning Homepage - EAA’s AirVenture Oshkosh Information

I had the opportunity to go once, the most fun I'd had in the day time with my clothes on! Flew up in an airplane only 2 years older than I was at the time. No radio in it so had to get permission first (not all that uncommon). That was a 'trip', in more ways than one! Always heard that you had to have a very good pair of walking shoes, and to bring a coat. Had the shoes and coat, and brought several blankets (slept under the plane for three nights). Never been so cold in my life in August/September before! Tried to buy a Rutan 'mini' EAA single place airplane, offered to swap mine plus some 'boot'. Needless to say, I flew my old plane back home...RATS!!
If you like anything connected with aviation, you gotta go at least once! Just be sure to wear comfortable shoes and bring a coat.
- 'Doc

Yup I went my first year after I moved here to Wisco. Must say WOW!!! It truly is a huge event. Good food Good peoples Good Beer, and so damn many cool planes. I am not plane guy either, heck I hate flying, but I had an awesome time.

I also, IMO, think that the Oshkosh air show is 1000 times better then that punky ass little air show they here in Milwaukee with the blue angles at Vetrans Park. Atleast I can Climb on top of my apartment building and watch that one.

Super next year I should have you come up and you can come to my buddies with us he has an EAA party every year theres good food, beer and other cocktails there aswell (y)

Super next year I should have you come up and you can come to my buddies with us he has an EAA party every year theres good food, beer and other cocktails there aswell (y)

Friend and I we were just chatting about going next year. She is originally from Oshkosh. So Tony I would love to meet up if nothing more then to shake yer hand.

Yeah, but if the wind changes direction, you can back a 'J-3' up to where you started. And be sitting down instead of walking...
(wish I had one!)
- 'Doc

They did another night show lastnight it was their second year doing this and MAN WAS IT AMAZING these old fighter style stunt planes had tons of huge bright light that flashed different colors and some had sparks and smoke they did ruitines to music it was crazy!! They had ;ots of skydiving groups that also performed at daylight aswell as a lighted night time show. We had a heavy storm blow through so some of it was canceled and I was p!$$ed but after a break they proceeded with the rest of the night show.

Wouldn't it be quicker to just walk?

Probably! But I wouldn't look as cool in the process.

Yeah, but if the wind changes direction, you can back a 'J-3' up to where you started. And be sitting down instead of walking...
(wish I had one!)
- 'Doc

Chicks dig backwards takeoffs.

We'll see though, it needs an annual, but it's an LSA so it'd be cheap to do. I'd almost say it's cheaper for me to take the 2-day course, and do it myself.

Plus, the strut tubes are a little crusty with age, but 4 new sealed ones are included. If I buy it, I'll have to take the wings off to trailer it anyways, so it won't be a big deal to swap them out.

If anything, it'd be a good investment for me to buy an resell in a few years when the economy is back up. I could easily double to triple my financial investment.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.