• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

25 and 26 MHz operators?

2CO3026

Mar 14, 2009
Cornpach, IL
Does anyone else frequent the frequencies below CB Channel 1? I've always had a fascination with that netherworld of 11 meters.

I'm active on 26.420 MHz USB with the Charlie Oscar (Canadian Outlaws DX Group) bunch. We have literally thousands of members worldwide. There are often stations there from the U.S., Canada, and Europe when conditions permit.

I believe 26.285 MHz was once a SSB calling frequency for DX. Lately I've heard only AM traffic there from what must be Central/South America. On AM, a couple of the popular frequencies in the U.S. are 26.915 and 26.835 MHz.

I'm mainly interested in SSB operations between 25 and 26.965 MHz, but I would like to hear from AM/FM/CW/Data operators, too. So if you are active in that region, what frequency/frequencies and mode(s) do you use? Thanks!

i dont frequent the band there but there seems to be a agreement that ssb is above channel 40 and am only below channel 1,,, but that is not really followed by outbanders,,,, when skip is coming in from europe fm is heard from channel 1 all the way up to 27.800......

................ there seems to be a agreement that ssb is above channel 40 and am only below channel 1.....

I keep hearing this but I have the feeling it is something that is just parroted without anyone giving it any thought. Waaaaay back in my 11m days, which ended about 20+ years ago, it was never that way. Maybe a little more AM activity there than above ch 40 but not much AM at all really. Even today while scanning the bands, and I still listen in now and then, the same thing is observed. Lots of SSB above ch 40 AND below ch 1 with a little bit of AM but not much......not much at all. Not much of an agreement that I see or hear.

I like to tune through the low outband from time to time also. In fact I worked a couple Canadian stations the other day on .420 USB. Both had co #s. Above the 40 does seem to be more active especially when it comes to ssb. When the band is up its not uncommon to hear spanish speaking down into the low 25 mhz. Some people will go as far as they can to have what they think is a "private" freq. Last year I found two guys on FM down around 25.100. For the hell of it I called out for a break from my truck and they actually heard me. Turns out these guys were in Louisiana and they just "wanted to get away from the noise" They seemed quite surprised that I found them way down there. I didn't stay long...I wanted to get away from the high swr. I also came across a whole group of guys on 27.980 or 990 USB in Michigan one night. They said the same thing..."most people don't find us/bother us way up here". I guess you just never know who you'll hear and where.

Reactions: jrd426 and NZ8N
I don't frequent below ch 1 much, except sometimes on AM. 26.915 or so. I have been going above ch 40 LSB a lot lately. Like others probably I find it way less crowed, and the operators I talk with are generally older. None of the noise toys, beeps or whatnot. These guys have been talking to there pals for years. I will listen to them for awhile, and then call out QSK, and they usually acknowledge me and we generally have a good QSO.

A lot of them don't use a call sign. Some just use first names. From their conversations about their equipment I know they are also Ham operators, and enjoying something in between cb and ham radio. I like it myself.

Don't fool yourself though, it is the Freebands were talking about, and quite a few of those frequencies are not at all free, and someone has been designated them. So be aware of that. Listen, listen, listen, then listen some more to be sure your not interrupting an operator who has the right to that frequency.

Reactions: NZ8N
Comments thus far

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Just a few comments:

midnight special:
...there seems to be a agreement that ssb is above channel 40 and am only below channel 1...

You're correct. Perhaps the better terminology would be "there was once an agreement..." (Many) years ago that was the case. However, as with many aspects of the radio hobby, things have changed through the years, not all for the better. I guess frequencies above/below the CB band are subject to "supply & demand" as far as mode usage. I do remember many AM operators below Channel 1 back in the 60's and 70's.

IMD262:
26.285 USB is still considered a international call frequency by many, it seems more cordial then 27.555 with all the AM lingo,roger bleeps, echo etc... 27.555 MHz USB is the Ch 38 LSB of freeband

Thanks for that info. I'll have to pay more attention to 26.285. It's too bad some lousy operators have ruined 27.555. Is 26.285 used similarly, i.e. a station calls CQ and then listens elsewhere?

Blackcat630:
...I guess you just never know who you'll hear and where.

Ain't that the truth! I'm considering keeping this thread going with reception reports/QSO logs of 25-26 MHz operations. Good idea, or no?

fogdog:

... Listen, listen, listen, then listen some more to be sure your not interrupting an operator who has the right to that frequency.

Good point! Pirate/bootleg responsibly, I always say.

-------------------------------------

QSO Log:
As I was writing this post, I heard 449, Darrin, from Prince Edward Island, Canada on 26.420. Although he's not a CO member, he enjoys that frequency, too. (We warmly welcome QSO's with anyone, not just CO stations!) Europe was coming in and the frequency was getting busy, so we QSY'ed to 26.410 and had a very nice QSO. Fun stuff!

Reactions: NZ8N and n0zna
25 and 26mhz

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Just a few comments:
25 to 26mhz
midnight special:25 to 26mhz

You're correct. Perhaps the better terminology would be "there was once an agreement..." (Many) years ago that was the case. However, as with many aspects of the radio hobby, things have changed through the years, not all for the better. I guess frequencies above/below the CB band are subject to "supply & demand" as far as mode usage. I do remember many AM operators below Channel 1 back in the 60's and 70's.

IMD262:
I never ran below channel one,and hardly above 40...And yest there is alot of Amers from 36 to 40....I use to run them off when i was only on 11mtrs.But i still go down and yell at a few i know that still havent got there ham lic.And alot of activity on 26.965 to 24.0mhz 73 de JW

Thanks for that info. I'll have to pay more attention to 26.285. It's too bad some lousy operators have ruined 27.555. Is 26.285 used similarly, i.e. a station calls CQ and then listens elsewhere?

Blackcat630:

Ain't that the truth! I'm considering keeping this thread going with reception reports/QSO logs of 25-26 MHz operations. Good idea, or no?

fogdog:

Good point! Pirate/bootleg responsibly, I always say.

-------------------------------------

QSO Log:
As I was writing this post, I heard 449, Darrin, from Prince Edward Island, Canada on 26.420. Although he's not a CO member, he enjoys that frequency, too. (We warmly welcome QSO's with anyone, not just CO stations!) Europe was coming in and the frequency was getting busy, so we QSY'ed to 26.410 and had a very nice QSO. Fun stuff!

Yes there is alot of activity on 24 25 26 mhz and it use to be no AMers on 16 or 36 to 40 channels.I use to run them off when i was active on 11mtrs.

Regarding my query about Outbanders in the 24 to 25 MHz range, I listened yesterday and yes, there are some. I believe they were from Central/South America. Due to the fact that a) they were operating "on the 5's," i.e. 24.025, .055, .075, etc.; b) their transmissions often featured "roger beeps," and c) stations were not exactly on each others frequency, I deduced that they were not likely authorized users. Plus, my Spanish sucks, so I couldn't really tell what they were talking about... something about enchiladas con cerveza y tequila. !Muy bueno!

According to the chart at:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/spectrum_wall_chart_aug2011.pdf

users of 24 to 25 MHz in the U.S., with the exception of Amateur Radio operators (24.89 to 24.99 MHz), are supposed to be licensed (of course) Fixed and/or Mobile (except aeronautical mobile) stations, with government and non-government users sharing that frequency range. The ham portion of that range is set apart and is listed as "non-government exclusive."

Personally, I wouldn't operate an unlicensed hobby station between 24 and 25 MHz. I prefer to confine my outbanding activities to frequency ranges like 26.175 to 26.480 MHz. At least that's a "non-government exclusive" allocation. Better to not tick off the Feds...

Reactions: NZ8N and n0zna

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.