• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

29 Vs 148

Treefork

Dec 12, 2011
Indiana
Now that I've fixed my Cobra 29 LX LCD and used it for a couple days, it doesn't receive anywhere near as clear and crisp as my 148 GTL. I like the way the digital screen looks and the weather radio but I put my 148 back in because it seems to be a much better radio.

When I had a 148 I loved the way it worked. But like most I ditched it for something (I thought) better, nope. Sure liked it while I had it.

Treefork -

Just look at the receiver spec sheets for the 29LX and the 148GTL, and you'll have your answer. The sensitivity of the 148 on AM (0.5uv) is 50% better then the sensitivity of the 29 (1.0uv). Almost every other recv spec for the 148 is better or equal to the 29. This is pretty typical for any AM-only vs AM/SSB rig.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Now that I've fixed my Cobra 29 LX LCD and used it for a couple days, it doesn't receive anywhere near as clear and crisp as my 148 GTL. I like the way the digital screen looks and the weather radio but I put my 148 back in because it seems to be a much better radio.

There's got to be a poor alignment on that 29. Especially if you say she is turned all the way up.

I put it back in today after I turned the AMC to 100%. It was factory set about 50%. Seemed like it was receiving ok today. It has been peaked and tuned but it was a few years ago and I'm not really sure exactly what the guy did to it. It was a cb shop in Remington, IN. Keep in mind I've been using cb's only about 6 years and have learned more about them in the last few weeks on here than the previous 6 years collectively. I use them at work mainly.

I put it back in today after I turned the AMC to 100%. It was factory set about 50%. Seemed like it was receiving ok today. It has been peaked and tuned but it was a few years ago and I'm not really sure exactly what the guy did to it. It was a cb shop in Remington, IN. Keep in mind I've been using cb's only about 6 years and have learned more about them in the last few weeks on here than the previous 6 years collectively. I use them at work mainly.
The AMC controls modulation, it has nothing to do with the receive. At this point I would stop twisting things and either run it as is or send it in to someone that knows what the heck they are doing. The shop in Remington used to be Steel Rods, he is a good guy.

The AMC controls modulation, it has nothing to do with the receive. At this point I would stop twisting things and either run it as is or send it in to someone that knows what the heck they are doing. The shop in Remington used to be Steel Rods, he is a good guy.
I know the AMC doesn't have anything to do with receive. I was just stating that I adjusted the AMC and decided to hook it back up after that. Coincidentally, after hooking it up and resetting to default settings, then retuning it to my antenna, it seemed like it was receiving better than the other day...

148f is you can find one is what you should get

158edx if a nice radio to

Ebay

148f $225 to $300 kinda high

158edx $235 to $300 kinda high

Uniden Grant xl stock $85 to $125 peaked tuned $125 to $150

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.