• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950DX w/amp or 2970N2

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
what would be the better way to go a 2950DX or HR 2510 with a TNT-350 amp or 2970N2. i know the 2970N2 can run safely at 225 watts what kind of watts will the TNT350 produce with either one of the 2950DX or HR 2510 radios. i like the 19 amps the ampilifer pulls so no extra batteries or power out side stock system is needed so i wanna just stay with the TNT350. radios are used on SSB 99% of the time.

an external amp is the way to go for ssb. my 2970n2 has the clarifier unlocked and i find that when it's in the car i have to move the clarifier a little to track in a qso on full power. it's not much, not more than 200hz but still. if u do go with an external amp consider getting a tech to fit a remote keying wire to the radio for ssb use. i hear 2sc2879's are discontinued now so parts may become an issue for most amps. that is not the case for the n2 though as it uses irf520n so you shouldn't go wrong with that.
also the stock vehicle electricals should handle the 2970n2 without a problem.

Go with external amplifier with the money you save on the 2950 you can get twice the power with buying an exteran amplifier. Also if the amp goes bad and its external you atleast still have the radio to use or hook to another amplifier durring repairs ETC.

Also having an external amp is less to worry about going wrong and you have even more control over using the amplifier or not in the long run your better off because you can buy a new radio and use your amplifier with that new radio so you always have your powerhouse at your disposal ;)

cables

i have the n2 and realy liked it till it blew,,i just sent it back to bobs cb in pa. i dont know if its the same bob that has something to do with this forum or not though..hopefully he can fix it so doesnt happen again..i,ve had external amps befor n they were ok but didnt like all the extra cables envolved and i never heard an extenal amp sound as good as ones that are built in..

Last edited:
Or gently used ranger 2950dx and Texas Star DX350HDV Never mobile both used as base set-up used very little Delivered to your door 420.00 insured and clean.

Last edited:
I think I would by a high power radio with high low or variable power fan cooled and CPU or stable for sideband 200 watts is all you need unless your going to the bowl. also a good mic my 2 cents

Or gently used ranger 2950dx and Texas Star DX350HDV Never mobile both used as base set-up used very little Delivered to your door 420.00 insured and clean.

thanks for the offer but i already have a couple 2950Dx radios and a couple HR 2510's just wanna see if it would be better to go with the high power 2970N2 radio or to get a TNT 350 amp. what kind of output wattage are you getting from this combo. and what kind would i get from a Xforce TNT 350 with the 2950 or 2510. 225 watts seems to be safe to run the 2970n2.

I also prefer the radio and amp combo but if you need an all in one package then the 2970 is nice. Remember, you don't have to run your 2970 balls to the wall at 200+ watts all the time. Also, a TnT 350 with two 2879's will draw a heck of alot more then 19 amps. Here are the specs from the site.

TNT 350hd

Transistors 2 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 1/4' x L 7 1/8' x W 41/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 29
Class B biasing
SSB Delay auto
Pre-amp yes
Driver Required N/A
Power Output (RMS) 150 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 400 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) N/A
Driven Power (PEP) N/A
install recommended with 8ga wire
and 50a fuse. Max input carrier of
5w or 120w max carrier from amp.
Max peak input 120w.

agree

2950 and tnt350 is a good set up, i have one in my car and love the results, generally run it with 4-5 watts dead key...but noticed the other day i had accidentally bumped my rf power up to about 7-8 dead key and the amp took it just fine,,,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.