• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2950DX w/amp or 2970N2

an external amp is the way to go for ssb. my 2970n2 has the clarifier unlocked and i find that when it's in the car i have to move the clarifier a little to track in a qso on full power. it's not much, not more than 200hz but still. if u do go with an external amp consider getting a tech to fit a remote keying wire to the radio for ssb use. i hear 2sc2879's are discontinued now so parts may become an issue for most amps. that is not the case for the n2 though as it uses irf520n so you shouldn't go wrong with that.
also the stock vehicle electricals should handle the 2970n2 without a problem.

2SC2879s have been discontinued and replaced with the 2SC2879A. No difference in performance.

Personally, I would go with the 2970N2.

The extra 100 watts (claimed) is not going to be noticeable on the receive end of the other people. :pop:

You said your primary use will be SSB, so that means your'e not on "The Bowl".

I have a Yaesu FT-817ND that has a max power of 5 watts and I have logged contacts all over the USA and several other countries on that 5 watts.

You will have one component to mess with and hook up. It will provide a much cleaner install and less taxing on the electrical/charging system of the vehicle.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to "open the clarifier" on the 2950/2970 series radio. The radio has a 6 digit display and the cursor can be moved to the last digit and "fine tune" the difference of frequency with someone else. You could also use the split feature if you only want to change the receive side only.

I would also just buy the radio and ask that they include the "chip" to modify it, nothing more. You can plug that chip in all day by yourself. Any other "peak and tune" mods are easy to do yourself. I could go on and on about mods, but you did not ask about that.

another point on 2970n2 over 2950 with external amp..seems you allways hear of people having trouble with the swr when running a external amp and harmonics but you never hear of anyone having trouble with the swr on a internal amp like the n2 and galaxzy 95,s ....

hows come the swr on a external is almost always bad n the swr on a internal is almost always good ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.