• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2995dx amp switch install w/pics/questions

well its took me a while but i just got a new"less than yr old" rci 2995dx with the green digital face..sadly it came from a good friend that passed away last yr so i traded his brother out of it..got about 400 into it so not too bad..

decided after reading for 2 nights to install a switch in the amp section for lower watts as i talk to guys in my n.hood thats real close and also dont wanna start over just yet with new amps..i like my ole tube amp that i hardly ever use.
really have no need for a amp with this radio either..it walks the dog..

i read that on the older 2995dx units folks says they run the switch on a brown wire that plugs into the back amp circut board in the right corner..i have a small plug there but its yellow and green wires..
the new mean well power supplys have a row of wires on the end and all labeled so i used the red"hot "wire coming from the p.supply going to the amp and switched it in that wire. IS THIS OK ?
im asking because i just finished it up and everything is working fine with it on,but dont wanna turn it off till i no for sure why folks say use the small plug on the board to install the switch? they say this about the older ones far as i been reading..
so me cutting the power at the main hot lead to the amp should be the best thing to do id think..comments welcome,except how 4 watts is the limit and im an outlaw<can not stand it> the first pic,red wire on the left it the one i used,and i fused it also with 20 amp fuse and used 25 amp switch..had to use a white wire as i was out of red :) thanks,and heres some pics of the radio and switch install,j9
I know this thread is very old. Did you ever figure this out? I think the green/yellow wire is the trigger for the amp. That's what I think should be switched.

The wire colors change when the production design is revised every few years.

Pretty sure you'll find the green wire is "hot", where the switch should go. The other wire is ground.

Don't remember seeing one that had the two wires the other way around.

I know this thread is old, but on the topic of questions I seek.
I have an older orange 2970. With the amp switch off I get 1~1.5W deadkey with 8 watts swing. No other swing mod or anything has been done. Is this the wattage to expect due to limitations of the single final ?
Thanks for the education in advance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.