• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2m and 70cm base set up

What is some good coax to use that doesn't cost a whole lot?

Also where is a good place to purchase coax from?

Hoping to get the rest of the materials I need and get it set up before there is snow on the ground.

Well I got some # 6 wire to run for my ground.

Still haven't figured out how to ground the coax. Still thinking about getting the MFJ-270 for it.

I will also need to get a SWR meter.

Where is a good place to buy these things from online?

You can buy the MFJ stuff directly from their website @ MFJ Enterprises Inc. They also make VHF/UHF meters.

I used to recommend the ICE products for lightning coax protection, but they have temporarily suspended operation due to the passing of the owner. Try one of the products that DX Engineering sells instead: Either the Polyphaser or the Alpha Delta: PolyPhaser Lightning Protectors Lightning Arrestor Coaxial Applications DC Pass DC Blocked

What is some good coax to use that doesn't cost a whole lot?

Also where is a good place to purchase coax from?

Hoping to get the rest of the materials I need and get it set up before there is snow on the ground.

For VHF/UHF work, I usually recommend LMR400 to most people. It has less loss than RG8 or RG213 and it's not as expensive as some of the other alternatives. Be wary of imitation LMR400; the authentic stuff is made by Times Microwave. I don't have any experience with the imitation stuff, but I do know that there are plenty of online stores trying to pass off copy-cat stuff like it is the real deal. All of the regular online ham retailers sell the real stuff.

The LMR-400 seems like the stuff every one is recommending.
But the cheapest I can find it is at 0.99 cents a foot. I figure I need at least 100 feet of it.
Does anyone know if anyone sells it cheaper. Or should I try and go with some of the fake stuff?

I wouldn't recommend the 'fake' stuff at all. It -may- be just as good, but why take that chance? Do some shopping around, see who has the best prices. Just make sure it's 'TM' LMR-400 (Times Microwave).
- 'Doc

If it sound's too good to be true, it probably is...

The LMR-400 seems like the stuff every one is recommending.
But the cheapest I can find it is at 0.99 cents a foot. I figure I need at least 100 feet of it.
Does anyone know if anyone sells it cheaper. Or should I try and go with some of the fake stuff?

"cheap coax is not good"

"good coax is not cheap"

Well I got 75 feet of LMR-400 probably way more then I need.
I'm almost ready to set up the antenna but have a few more questions.

My roof is metal but I'm planning on getting the antenna up about 8 feet above the roof.

I still need to get a SWR meter. But how do I test the swr? I'm using the Yaesu FT 7800R.

I have only tested swr on CB band but never on the ham bands so I'm just wondering what the proper procedure is.

Should I use the lowest power setting?
And on what frequencys do I use for both the 2 meter and 440?

An HF/CB SWR meter may work, but it also may not work. They can be frequency sensitive depending on how they are made. If you plan to do very much VHF/UHF stuff you might as well get a meter that's made for it, saves a lot of confusion and bother.

How do you use one? Pretty much like you would any SWR meter. Reading the instructions if a nice thing to do.
What frequency to use for testing? Picking a frequency at least close to those you normally use is a pretty good idea. Or maybe also like with CB, a low frequency and a high frequency to see how the antenna system is reacting.
Make sense to you?
- 'Doc

So I got a Diamond SX40C SWR meter for 144 to 470 MHz.
I just put up the brackets on the house for the j-pole tonight.

I also soldered a pl259 on one end of the LMR 400. I don't have the best soldering iron but I think I did a ok job on it.

Hopefully this weekend I can put up the antenna and run the coax. Then test the swr and with any luck I won't have any problems. I' m so close now to having my first ham radio set up.

So,

I got my set up all hooked up and checked my SWR which seemed to be ok.

Now I'm trying to set up my radio which is a Yaesu FT-7800R.

I have been working on setting up the radio for the local repeater. Which is

W1FN repeater information on 145.330 in Hanover, New Hampshire by artscipub.com

Its Freq. is 145.330-

Tone of 100.0

Input of 144.73

I have gone through the manual and set up the radio for this repeater. I Think i have anyways.

Here is what I have so far. I have the automatic repeater shift on.

I have the freq. that appears on the radio to 145.330 and tone mode of ENC.
The Ctcss tone to 100.00hz.

When I key up the mike I see the display on the radio go to 144.730.

I have the radio on the 10 watt output.

Then I'll hear the repeater after I release the mike.

But when I try to listen to myself with my scanner I don't hear any audio just the keying up of the mike.

Is there anything that I am missing? This is all new to me and I am pretty lost in a lot of it so any help would be great.

Is 'ENC' visable on your display? If not, press the [TONE(REV)] button until it is. This should enable you to hear all audio traffic on the repeater.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.