• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2X6 mobile amp MOD?

TIN_CAN

Nov 23, 2011
Hey all, I am just wondering if I was to pick up a 2X6 mobile amp and have it moddified and a switch added to disable the 2 pill driver section so I could drive the straight 6 with about 250PEP from my 2990DX base radio. Would this be a hard and expensive modification for a good tech to do??

Thanks in Advance

yeppers,on those swing elcheapo mtrs....hehe and they say a 2950 and 2510 does 75 wtts...but no its easy to by pass the 2 pills hehe transistor drive section...just easier to just turn the power down on the radio...

yeppers,on those swing elcheapo mtrs....hehe and they say a 2950 and 2510 does 75 wtts...but no its easy to by pass the 2 pills hehe transistor drive section...just easier to just turn the power down on the radio...

Thanks for the heads up, yeah I am sure the meter is off by around 10W, di not even want to go mobile as base route but I can pick up a 2x6 mobile for next to nothing, thanks again!

I'm not sure what final or finals are in the 2995, but I know the one my friend has only does 150 on the Bird meter with peak kit. Trying to do anymore than what it does from the factory will wear out the power supply quick. They are marginal to begin with. I know several guys here that had them opened up and now run them on external supplies as they burnt up internal supplies. Funny thing was guy was used to running it wide open. When we hooked it up and put it on scope, his audio signal was best when he set mic gain to around 9 o clock position. After that, he started to get Very sharp edges and tops were close to square. Maybe you don't care, but thought I'd pass it along. I'm sure the radio I was testing had either the audio trim pot wide open or limiter removed.

I'm not sure what final or finals are in the 2995, but I know the one my friend has only does 150 on the Bird meter with peak kit. Trying to do anymore than what it does from the factory will wear out the power supply quick. They are marginal to begin with. I know several guys here that had them opened up and now run them on external supplies as they burnt up internal supplies. Funny thing was guy was used to running it wide open. When we hooked it up and put it on scope, his audio signal was best when he set mic gain to around 9 o clock position. After that, he started to get Very sharp edges and tops were close to square. Maybe you don't care, but thought I'd pass it along. I'm sure the radio I was testing had either the audio trim pot wide open or limiter removed.

Yeah I hear you I am not sure what is the 2995 either but the 2990DX is 2sc2290 finals, and as for the power supply I know all about them, it already been replaced by a 42Aamp @ 14V PS by meanwell, no more underpowered, seems to work well not sure why they put in such a weak PS from the start.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.