1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile 3-foot mobile antennas

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by DeedleD, Feb 16, 2019.

1. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Bobby , still makes me cringe when I think of you drilling that hole in that Brand new Lariat , ( but it did the job ) only because I know what it $ my wife has one $$$ .:D Myself I'd have the right mix of " Cocktails " in me being careful not to go over the edge & really screw it up !:whistle:;):D 73 & God Bless , Leo

undertaker likes this.

2. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas

Either bit can be chucked into a 1/2" drive. I have used mag drill bits extensively in Petro-Chem construction, they have many name brands. Basically a hole saw for metal. The hole required does not justify using a mag drill bit. Just keep it simple stupid, use regular bits and step out a couple times. If worried about flaking the paint.....just use masking tape over the hole location prior to drilling. This also works for cutting lex/ poly glass. My gosh do we need to over complicate things and have a trove of specialized tools to do simple jobs. Got a friend who just has to cut full sheets of plywood on a table saw with no fence. For all the time in set up I have already ripped or cut it with circular saw. Done! Move on to next piece. "Not building a Rolex" as we say in the bidness.

357magnum likes this.
  3. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Sr. Member

I have never had success drilling large holes in sheet metal with twist bits, but I'm sure you could get a hole made.

I have never seen a rotabroach with a 1/2" shank, or any other broach for that matter. Do you know of one? That would be a handy little mag drill.

I prefer step drills for antenna mounts, but for bigger pucks a hole saw is pretty much mandatory.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  4. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas

McMaster-Carr, Grainger, and Fastenal. Most industrial supply will have them. Use mine in chuck of drill awl the time. I agree about the step drills, used to use those working in auto body shops. Those are great, but just don't need one that bad. Using what you have available will get the job done.

357magnum and fogdog like this.
  5. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

The older I get the more I appreciate that Job = Tool. That the tool pretty much IS the job.

And what’s wrong with a specialized tool? (Nothing at all, thank you). I’ve pickup, aluminum trailer and sons vehicle yet to do. I ain’t ripping plywood or working on a salvage steel cabinet. If the tool makes it ANY easier at all, I’m for it. I’ve no problem with the hole, per se, but I would if I later found that a cleaner, less-deforming tool had been available.

If in the next dozen years it gets used a half-dozen times, that’s fine.

No, it’s not a Maserati. So what?

S&W357 and 357magnum like this.
  6. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

When I did mine many years ago , someone let me borrow a tool . I don't know what it's called , he was a sheet metal worker . It was basically a punch of sorts . 2 pc's you drilled a small pilot hole , slipped bolt through to connect both pc's , tighten top bolt & it made a perfect hole . Wish I knew what they called it & had one the right size in my tool collection .

S&W357, kopcicle and Slowmover like this.
  7. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Yes. All sorts of stuff out there. Even with the Internet a search isn’t easy. And imagine an ingenious item invented decades ago and that disappeared with the death of that man.

Just a little something he had in the toolbox. (My toolbox isn’t running out of room).

357magnum likes this.
  8. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

Hydraulic Knockout Punch Driver Kit

#68 kopcicle, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    357magnum likes this.
  9. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore Sr. Member

The older I get the more I understand this mentality. I thought I was just getting lazy, but I'm still not sure. For now I still usually choose speed over ease, but I can see that changing in the future.

Tallman, 357magnum and Redbeard U812 like this.
  10. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

No, it is QUADRUPLING the output. 3dB is doubling, 6dB is increasing fourfold, 9dB is an eightfold increase, 10dB is tenfold.

w9cll likes this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

This 18 inch antenna handles 5k. Maybe it would work for him.
    20190302_154940

Riverman, Tallman, 357magnum and 3 others like this.
  12. S&W357

S&W357 WDX-556 / 2NC357 Supporting Member

I could whip up some scrambled for an omelette in short order with that :)

13. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Ralph with the right amp you could cook that omelette too !

undertaker likes this.
  14. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Professional results usually require professional tools. Not saying a craftsman can't do it as well, but the punch does such an easy job and quick.
    I have a complete set of "Green Lee" punches with the hydraulic rams.

357magnum likes this.
  15. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Thanks Tall ! That's the name I was thinking of Green Lee ! They do & awesome job !