• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

38LSB

38 lsb is quiet today for the first time in a few weeks here in Michigan. The stations I do hear are very low or right at my noise level.

38LSB was on fire at 8 pm est tonight, and was still going great guns when I shut down at 8:45. I had contacts as far north as Toronto and NYC, and as far southwest as Texas ... and everywhere in between.

Conditions, conditions, conditions... that is the question.

You're not going to punch a hole in the atmosphere, no matter how many times you whistle into your mic, nor how many amps you're running.

It's hit or miss... Mother Nature's dictating who you're talking to. And she's deciding when, where, and how.

I've made more contacts in my barefoot mobile than I have with my base (antenna, etc, mounted under "ideal" conditions). When I drive into what I perceive to be a "sweet spot," I park and get busy.

Conditions are all about being at the right place, at the right time. If you aren't there or then, don't waste your time buying equipment that might splatter all over your neighbors' attempt to watch "Golden Girls" reruns.:LOL:

If you're patient enough, your base will be in that sweet spot. Enjoy. :laugh:

There are folks with big wattage out there on 38LSB, but I'm not one of them. I monitor and use 38LSB more than any other frequency, and do it with vewry little power, often making solid contacts with my radio only. I also connect in the mobile, which is a low power setup, too. I do this with a variety of antennas from a 4 element Yagi, to a 2 element, from a dipole to a V4k, and wire to metal construction, too.
I don't have any big power. On high, I can get 200 watts, but I run it on low for 125 max PEP.
Conditions always either work, or they don't.

Hell i can run up to 2 KW and i run a Moonraker 4 and sometimes i still cant get heard!!!!

im usually on 38LSB ,i go by 454 in the keystone u guys hear me give me a shout.
ive had talked to florida georiga, up the whole eastcoast . over into the west coast.
but i think its 2 things CONDITIONS and LOCATION. unfourtanely we can only change 1 of these. theres times when i cant get heard out there in dx land also . sometimes i have troube with my locals that are 30-50 mile radius.

I got north one time east forget it west i always get skip 24 hours a day i can talk south sometimes.I live on a lake wonder if it has something to do with it.

I made a contact into Japan a couple months back on 38 lsb...Australia stations on 38-35 lsb were in every evening.
You do not need a bunch of watts.....was in a Qso back a month or so Back......Texas to Canada to South Africa. Texas wattage 20, Canada wattage 740 milliwatts! or almost 3/4 of 1 watt, s Africa wattage 12. The two stations in s Africa were running older Royce mobile radios as a base....sounded great!
The Canada low power station was just as strong as the s Africans but w running less than 1 watt. No beams no big amps...just radio conditions. The same Ontario Canada station just a few days before was working Texas,western Canada and brazil running 1 watt. If conditions are right you can talk around the world on 15-20 watts or many times much less! Good luck! And happy new year

Reactions: 2 people
38 LSB is full of power guys so if you want to get on there to make contacts you need to run a KW or more.

You are Way Wrong about that..
I have spoken the world over on 4 watts.
(with cobra 146 GTL and palamor D2500 antenna from the car..

Did even better when i changed radio to AR-3500.
( until it was stolen )

More recently with Icom 706 MKIIG or IC-7000 with Interceptor I-10K
( until Hurricane Sandy removed my I-10K )

One clearly does NOT Need a KW to get through.
Location..Location is more important..
as is your Antenna..

When Skip is Rolling it cares little of the power you are using.
But then with the right gear...in a good location and knowledge how to use it.
You can practically create your own skip
(not really,but one can consistently get out great distances when they know how to do so)

Reactions: 1 person
I'm running a TRC 458 with 1/2 wave vertical dipole in a tree (designed with EZNEC SW) and hearing a lot of traffic around the US and Mexico. I just got into this CB hobby, and found this radio just in time (for the sun spot cycle).

Great to hear that I can use this radio as is to try and make a contact.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?