• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

38LSB

178, Larry DX man has been on 38 LSB all morning and I can hear him working all up and down the west coast......get in there and say hello if you can

Jeff
It seems to be North and South and some East for me today. Nothing out of the West today at all. Yet. That usually changes as the sun get's over that way though. I am right on the Mississippi River about half way up Wisconsin. Last week all I heard was California and Baja, now, nothing but a few late at night.

Turbo T, I know I tried calling you many times from just after you made that post last night. I wrote the name and number down in my log so I could remember it. I know I heard you, but it was so faint and fading in and out, I couldn't tell if you were answering or not.

I use a dipole, and they are like that, very directional and bounce centric. If your not within the bounce area when the signal comes down, you don't hear me and I probably won't hear you very well. But if you are in the area, it doesn't matter how far away you are generally, you will be the loudest station I hear. LOL, I love trying to predict where the bounces land.

In fact, I use some websites to try and record some of the bounces by direction and distance, just to see if I can find a pattern with the dipole. Here is a site that will tell you your distance from you to any other point on earth, the bearing and distance in Km. Here is another one for just distance as the crow flies. And of course, you can get your own and target Lat. Long. from Google to fill in the boxes. :)

I dunno if I heard you or not. it seemed right after I unkeyed, all the sudden a pile up soon commenced, so it's hard to tell if they all heard me and were trying to get to me or if it was just the band going up and down. Many folks were jumbled there together on 38 LSB. I could hear people calling out my call but they'd get lost in the weeds, others would rattle off my state (Missouri) so who knows....I may have heard you but it was hard to pick anyone out of the mess except for the really strong stations.

On a side note, so I hear, 6 meters is open too.

I know, it's like that when the skip is running. I do not have much experience with DX as a stand alone hobby, but I drove truck for years and most of that time I had a Texas Star 500. I had 40 channels, but no sideband and since I drove alone, I had hours and hours of sitting in truckstops talking skip. It was the same back then. Everyone just piled in and the loudest ones came to the top. LOL

Nothing has changed, in fact, most of these guys are probably retired truckers. :D

I thought it had died early on this afternoon, but here it is, almost 10pm central time and skip is tiptoeing thru the tulips so fast I can't catch them all. Mostly Eastern states, SouthEast and South from me, very strange but I am not getting any California talk at all the last few days.

Talked 804 WV and 357 Kentucky since 9:30. Crazy ;)

I feel like a one legged man in an asskicking contest. I'm so busy trying calls I can't keep up. I am getting into Tennessee real easy, a lot of strong stations down there tonight. I'll try calling your number. :)

058 Wisconsin

I drive around South Florida all day covering about 150 miles of geographical area, most of the time talking on 38lsb or .555. I've noticed the area of the world you can talk with varies by hundreds if not thousands of miles just by moving a mile or two. The band had been incredibly kind to me the last few weeks, though contacts only last a few minutes at 70MPH.... I'll be firing the rig up in a few minutes to start my busy broadcast day. Hope to catch a few of you out there. 305portable, Miami Fl, back on the side.

Reactions: 1 person
Hey 305, it's 169. LOL, nice putting a "face" to a voice. I am on 38 now, but no skip yet, one time zone over. I'll be listening. :p:

Hey 305, it's 169. LOL, nice putting a "face" to a voice. I am on 38 now, but no skip yet, one time zone over. I'll be listening. :p:

Wow. That is awesome to find someone from DX land on the internet so quickly! Wish I would have seen this before we had that brief contact this morning.

Ya. kind of weird, I heard you 50 times today and tried calling, but I couldn't seem to get through. Either I really am not getting out, or it is so crowded over there you just can't comb me out of the pile.

I don't think I am NOT getting out though, cause I heard this weak guy calling on 555 said he was on an Italian submarine at the North Pole and anyone that could hear him, go to 27.445. so I did and sure enough, he was calling again so I answered and he heard me. We had a 10 minute QSO after that and he thought it was funny that I thought it was hard to believe. He was on the Italian Submarine SR-231 at the North Pole, had broken through the ice and was transmitting from there to see if he could get out.

I logged it anyway, but I want to verify it next time I get a call from Italy. LOL Anyway, I am pretty sure I am getting out. :)

Always a possibility, if so I was not the only one that fell for it. On the other hand, I did a lot of research into the Italian submarine business and it turns out they have a thriving business building many different types of subs for a number of nations. Who knew? 231 just happens to be a few numbers away from one or two that were in their list of fleet subs. Until I hear something more positive, I'll keep my mind open. It's not like making an appearance at the North Pole is anything new, is it? :)

I drive around South Florida all day covering about 150 miles of geographical area, most of the time talking on 38lsb or .555. I've noticed the area of the world you can talk with varies by hundreds if not thousands of miles just by moving a mile or two. The band had been incredibly kind to me the last few weeks, though contacts only last a few minutes at 70MPH.... I'll be firing the rig up in a few minutes to start my busy broadcast day. Hope to catch a few of you out there. 305portable, Miami Fl, back on the side.

Despite the cyclical drop off, F layer skip these last two months here in South Florida has come in from all over the place: Birmingham, England; Sydney, Australia; Barbados, West Indies; the Midwest; Grand Canyon, AZ. However, the tons of skip from South America that we've heard in years past has not been there.

Because of the summer weather pattern down here, we get almost daily afternoon thunderstorms. In years past, they've produced a tremendous amount of E layer skip, which brought in the state of Florida from the I-4 corridor to Jacksonville and all the way across the panhandle to Pensacola. It is still storming like crazy, but I'm not hearing much of the E layer skip this season.

Last year was good compared to this year. Last year the skip died in early April and for me, it lasted till mid May, then it came back like it never had died, in one day. I went about 28 days with absolutely no skip from anywhere. I have a bad location to start with here, in a hole, overhead power lines, inside a canyon that is regionally down in the upper Mississippi river valley. I have no horizon anywhere.

This year, the dead zone has lasted for more than two months now. But not all at once like last time. I will have 2 to 5 days of nothing, then I will have a day of a few contacts. One day I got 23 good ones around the Eastern US, but no EU or Australia. This year, I have had 41 days of silence in two months. It's damn depressing. :unsure:

I talked to Florida, Ok and Texas between 3 and 4am on my drive to work. Same thing yesterday, heard a Texan and thought he was a local. Still rolling at 9am.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated