• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

3cx10000 Ouput Test

. He was in his 80's the last time I saw him at his home where he passed. One of the last things he expressed to me was the importance to pass knowledge on and that he wasn't joking about eventually learning what he had.

Lenny was indeed a very very smart guy,anyone can learn,but to realise that all you learn is useless unless you share it with others takes intellect well beyond the average persons comprehension.

I was recently asked here "why do I waste my time explaining this stuff when they never get it?" The answer is the same motivation Lenny had. Just because one person may have a momentary case of brain freeze doesn't make it worthless. Eventually if they truly like radio, they will meet someone they respect more then me that will reinforce the same theories. Additionally, the internet and what we type is likely to remain here as a source of knowledge long after any of us have shuffled on.

The reason you explain stuff to those who don't get it is because for everyone person who doesn't get it and makes that point clear vocally or in a forum by typing,there is another 10 or more smart enough to keep their mouths shut or typing finger/s still and listen and learn.its those people who give you the satisfaction of putting something back into a hobby that has obviously given you so much and to be able to do what Lenny did and impart his/your wisdom on others.

First thing i ever learned was you learn nothing when your mouth is wide open.

I personally think its sad that you have had to put your personal credentials in the public domain as it is blatantly obvious you are one of the few guys that does have a f@cking clue what he is talking about.

loose cannon said:
i would like to make a humble request for credentials gentlemen.

please state where you learned what you know about this subject.

i think it might help if everyone knew who they were debating.
LC

I am a free lance cb reporter daring to ask the questions that beckoned to be asked on my quest to debunk the world of cb bullshit.

What's you're credentials loose cannon, not that it really matters one bit as there are many techs out there that don't know their asses from a hole in the ground which I have an uncanny ability to cross paths with.:whistle:

i have absolutely ZERO credentials.

i got into radio when i was 8 years old because my dad had a multiband portable radio in the workshop.
i was instantly hooked.
then it was on to CB which led to me getting my ham license at age 14, which i let expire because it was so boring to me at that time.
since then it has been a never ending quest to learn as much as possible about what goes on inside one of these beasts we call radios.
the only thing i have going for me is an uncanny ability to choose the right people to listen to. Shockwave and bob85 are two of those people.
captain kilowatt is another. heck, freecell also had some good insights, if you could stand the bitch slapping. LOL

i am 35 now and i do have a very technical job, but it is not really related to radio. i do stage automation which involves computers, electronics, mechanics, and nerves of titanium!

i didnt ask that question to call you out mack, i hope it didnt come across that way. i already know you know your stuff.

359?
you're next.
LC

i have absolutely ZERO credentials.

i got into radio when i was 8 years old because my dad had a multiband portable radio in the workshop.
i was instantly hooked.
then it was on to CB which led to me getting my ham license at age 14, which i let expire because it was so boring to me at that time.
since then it has been a never ending quest to learn as much as possible about what goes on inside one of these beasts we call radios.
the only thing i have going for me is an uncanny ability to choose the right people to listen to. Shockwave and bob85 are two of those people.
captain kilowatt is another. heck, freecell also had some good insights, if you could stand the bitch slapping. LOL

i am 35 now and i do have a very technical job, but it is not really related to radio. i do stage automation which involves computers, electronics, mechanics, and nerves of titanium!

i didnt ask that question to call you out mack, i hope it didnt come across that way. i already know you know your stuff.

359?
you're next.
LC
Didn't take it that way but usually when someone does the calling they leave a business card, no hard feelings here.

I have pretty much the same background growing up and listen to people that I know have good sense when radio is involved and I've known and talked with bob85 for several years via the interneck and he's taught me tons, just wish I could remember 500 lbs. of it, thanks Darren.

honestly i think its more about proving somthing to everyone.

That Might be it for some...a few. But there are a lot of us that want to learn, I have been playing radio for 30+ years and I still learn things every day. I for one appreciate the time spent here by guys like Shockwav, Bob, LC, Marconi who asks a lot of Questions and make us think, Tim, the guy that makes it all happen, everyone that reviews, contributes, attempts to answer questions, helps out, and every one that make`s mistakes and has the guts to post about it for the answers that we all get to share and brings up interesting subjects and new things in the hobby.
The list goes on for sure, but we all benefit from sharing info, Sure it get`s heated sometimes and off track, but the core result is that it makes us all think and learn....that is what the guys that started this whole thing years ago had in mind.

Thanks. To All the Members that Participate.

Jeff

But to go on for days about this type of topic lol.

Sure some guys out here have some knowledge.But the guys who know alot more usually wont associate with cb people.

Im talking about the kind of guys that can figure out values for circuits or whatever off the top of their head real engineers.

Like the guy ive been talking to he wouldnt be caught dead in a chat room ike this.

I love this forum dont get me wrong.

I would like to know what broadcast transmitters donald has converted since he said transmitters which is plural meaning more then one.And what amplifier he has installed that regulator in.

I think a guy who worked on radios for the military and has owned a service shop for over 40 years who has desined and built triode to pentode amplifiers would be the kind of guy you could call i real tech who knows basicly everything.

Last edited:
scottdarling,

its not just about the immediate conversation, and saying, "i was right".

its about the future forum searchers who may be looking for clarification on a subject such as this one.

if shockwave were to just give up and say, "forget it", then those future searchers might end up believing something that is not true.
then they go on to tell others what they think they know and the myths are given new life.

tenacity in threads like this is what its all about. especially in this particular forum.
i think if 359 knew the background of the people he was debating this with, he might have had a bit more of an open mind.

this forum is unlike ANY other radio forum on the net exactly because the guys with real knowledge will take the time to talk to "CB people". (i am one of the CB people LOL)

in any of the other forums that have anything to do with CB radio, the smart guys have left the building long ago out of frustration.
not here!
this forum is completely unique, and putting threads like this through the ringer until they end up at a logical conclusion is what keeps it unique.

i for one hope our smart guys never give up on a thread, and applaud their willingness to push on through.

long live the WWRF!!!
LC

credentials/experience don't mean squat, we had a professor of communications/electronics on here, the kind that teaches your kids and in EVERY topic he got involved in from amplifier output impedance/optimum load impedance to simple bipolar biasing, he was wrong, a couple of cbers exposed his ignorance,

we have cb amp builders that have no idea how the shit they copy/cobble together works, tell you to change jumper length rather than how to fix the unstable amp or poorly tuned input circuit, claim you have high reflect because your amplifier output impedance is not 50ohms, bias amps with the shittiest circuits, most can't even bias an amplifier with a shit circuit, have no clue what negative feedback does in an amplifier, the list goes on,
they have many fans/customers/pompom wavers that think their builder knows what hes doing,

we have cb antenna builders that sell plenty of antennas but have no idea how they work, how baluns work or where they should be used so they make it up as they go along, service with a smile lovely jubly,

we have hams that refuse to learn how vswr meters amplifiers or baluns work, a ticket and and 30+ years experience has not taught them much at all apart from how to make bs sound convincing to the enquiring mind that knows no better,

if people threw the towel in when somebody argues back with technobullshit there would be little hope for anybody on here that does want to learn but feels uncomfortable on a ham only forum asking questions pertaining to cb radio,
a handfull of people that don't understand how a pep meter works and clearly don't understand how an avg reading meter works or what they should and should not be measuring with one do not represent the whole forum,
the truth is out there, a small portion of it is on here ;)

I would like to know what broadcast transmitters donald has converted since he said transmitters which is plural meaning more then one.And what amplifier he has installed that regulator in.

Scott has placed me in the awkward position of appearing dishonest and deserves clarification. He knows a customer purchased a pair of large broadcast transmitters in the late 1990's and offered me one to convert the second. The modifications were extensive and involved the complete redesign of the grid drive circuit, output tank, and conversion from 3 phase to single.

I have no practical use for 80 KW PEP and never finished mine. It's been a white elephant in storage at my friend's grandmothers house for about 10 years. Sorry, I only have one complete broadcast transmitter under my belt. Scott also knows the transmitters were old and used the simple resistive loaded, low impedance screen power supplies and that the customer inquired about upgrading to full regulation for improved IMD.

Building a shunt screen regulator that operates at 2 KV is no easy task. I agreed to build this regulator in trade for an item that amounted to an out of pocket expense of $300 to cover labor charges. After I built the regulator on a massive heat sink and fully load tested it, the customer decided the item they paid $300 for and agreed to trade for the work, was now worth significantly more and changed his mind.

I can't see how only finishing one transmitter or the customer not wanting to pay for the completed upgraded regulator has any bearing on my ability to do what I've claimed. I'm also surprised Scott would raise this topic in the forum knowing it would be viewed as antagonistic due to the issues surrounding the subject. Hopefully he will view this as a measured response and end it here.

shockwave theres no need to explain, its clear you have more idea than most, i for one enjoy reading your posts,

jeff, i was not refering to your 30+ years,

how come i only just realised captain kilo is qrn, i guess im a bit slow:unsure:

how come i only just realised captain kilo is qrn, i guess im a bit slow:unsure:

Maybe too much static on that receiver of yours bob,you really need to get that i10k up of the ground,lol.

P.s Shockwave if you've no use for that 80kw pep transmitter,send it over here to scotland,i'm sure it would send shockwaves right across the uk on UKFM,pmsl.

F@ck the harmonics of it alone would probably be stronger than 99% of the stations in the uk.

i think if 359 knew the background of the people he was debating this with, he might have had a bit more of an open mind.
It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with Mack saying a 43p Bird measures peak and not pep, and then getting a pat on the back.

It's about SW saying compression only effects average power and then coming back to say that it only effects pep and getting a feather in his cap.

I try to confront these contradictions for clarification and get told that I'm stupid, not smart enough to understand or closed minded.

So I give up, this is your forum, treat it as you will :D

It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with Mack saying a 43p Bird measures peak and not pep, and then getting a pat on the back.

It's about SW saying compression only effects average power and then coming back to say that it only effects pep and getting a feather in his cap.

I try to confront these contradictions for clarification and get told that I'm stupid, not smart enough to understand or closed minded.

So I give up, this is your forum, treat it as you will :D

You're overlooking what the simple definition of the word average means. Compression will not raise the maximum PEP power. What it will do is raise the majority of "average" speech closer to the maximum PEP value available.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.