• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

3Y0J Bouvet Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of pictures from their FB page.

They are wearing survival suites for for the dingy ride because they can't beach the dingy and have to wade through water to get to the beach. They also have to "float" all the supplies from the dingy to the beach.

The other photo is the station set up. That giant rock in the background is in the path to North America.:cry:

Attachments

• Survival.jpg
    Survival.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 68
  • camp.jpg
    camp.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Also....Normal Fox and Hound on FT8 would have the DX transmitting on the even time interval. 3Y0J is TXing on the odd interval. Many people are complaining about this. I think it is pretty clever. If you hear 3Y0J with an even TX interval it is a pirate.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
It was 13 wpm back when I took the test. I studied for a few weeks , listened to cassette tapes to and from work and passed the test.
Since then I have logged maybe 5 hours of cw, I just did it to pass the test.
I got plenty of no code friends, I don't care.
They passed the test that was being used at the time as it should be, regardless of the fact that older guys had to learn code.

I know guys that screamed the sky was falling when they permitted tech class a space on ten meters.
End of the world, but nothing changed.
I would rather hear a new no code tech on ten meters than Tod on 28.425 calling CQ over and over and over endlessly

Jeff
Re-Todd

Someone on QRZ mentioned that the 3Y0J logs were uploaded to ClubLog. I checked to see if I made it. No! Then I read this on their Facebook page.

3Y0J Bouvet Island 2023 Update:
From 3Y0J Team Co-Leader Ken LA7GIA
12 FEB 2023 18:20 UTC
“3Y0J will go QRT Monday at 12:00 to 15:00 UTC when we run out of fuel. We will start taking down the camp on Monday and transport the last equipment on Tuesday. There is another 60 knot storm coming this weekend. We have a wx window on Tuesday we will utilize now to return.”
73, Ken

Additional information:
The 3Y0J log has been uploaded. However, FT8 QSOs did not upload. They will be uploaded when the laptops get back to the boat from the island. QSL manager Charles M0OXO says, “Its already on Clublog and those who donated over $350 will also have recieved their LOTW.”
Steve N2AJ
Media Officer & NA East Coast Pilot
3Y0J Bouvet Island 2023 DXpedition

• Sad
Reactions: BJ radionut
Hope that laptop with my FT8 Q makes it back to the boat!

From the 3Y0J Facebook Page.

[FEBRUARY 14 @ 0650Z]​

Just before 0100z, the generator shut down. This would be the beginning of the end for 3Y0J operations. Shortly after 0300z – as announced previously – we got official word the DXpedition was QRT and the camp was being dismantled. Once the Bouvet ops arrive back on boat, hopefully later today, the laptops with FT8 QSOs should be uploaded to Club Log. It’s likely we will also see first pictures and videos emerge of the activity from the island and life inside the tent etc. "

Reactions: AudioShockwav
I feel very fortunate to have worked them. I did do some planning to determine when I would have the best chance.

Here are some charts that breakdown their operations.

1676461651835.png

1676461701931.png

Reactions: Crawdad
Hahaha, they failed on that one
Why is that so funny?

That's has to be one of the most treacherous DXexpedition around.

There was no guarantees they would even make the island like their last attempt much less be able to setup a working camp due to constantly changing weather.

Maybe you should assemble a team to go out there and show us how it's done!

Geez…

Hahaha, they failed on that one

Why is that so funny?

That's has to be one of the most treacherous DXexpedition around.

There was no guarantees they would even make the island like their last attempt much less be able to setup a working camp due to constantly changing weather.

Maybe you should assemble a team to go out there and show us how it's done!

Geez…

I agree. What is so funny about a group of extremely dedicated operators risking life, limb and vast amounts of money to activate one of the most inaccessible entities on the planet. It takes a real piece of work to laugh at something such as this. I guess some people laugh at train wrecks too.

What's hilarious is that they weren't sitting on their arses at home being anally retentive about SWR and 0.1mW of reflected power. That's funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated