• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

572B Tubes Available

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
RF Parts is showing another batch of 572B's available at the time of this post. $5 less each than their last batch a few weeks ago. I ordered a matched pair for my SB200 and effectively doubled it's value. What a deal! :)

They go fast so if you need them grab them now.

Reactions: BBB

RAtso give us a review when you have time, I have a few amps that use 572B tubes, all mine are full output but would be nice to know the quality of the tubes RF Parts is selling now.

How good are they? Are they anything close the Cetrons? Curious as to how they stack up to the old school Cetrons and RCA's.
~Cheers~

RF Parts tells the whole story in a pdf document on their website which I attached below. They chose to stop ordering Cetrons in 1989 due to high prices and started working with a Chinese factory. The tubes they are selling are made specifically for them, labeled as Taylor tubes and they say the quality control is really tight on the tubes.

RAtso give us a review when you have time, I have a few amps that use 572B tubes, all mine are full output but would be nice to know the quality of the tubes RF Parts is selling now.

I will. The original Cetrons are still in the amp showing full output but I'll drop the new ones in for some testing and post the results.

Attachments

• File-1417561155.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 506
Reactions: 2RT307
Thanks Ratso.

I Have three of the older 572B Taylor models and they have about 50 watts less output that the Centrons or the no name Chinese brand tubes, other than that they seem to play well

Looking at their site, I'm still not sure if you can just buy them direct now or you still have to be put on a waiting list. I also noticed that they didn't list the option for a matched pair, just single, triple or quad. Probably just an overlooked that entry on their site. Guess I'll call and see if i can get two now.

When the options to buy appear on the 572 Page they are in stock and available for purchase. They cleared the wait list with the first shipment. This is the second. Once the tubes are gone the options to buy will disappear until they get more in stock. I just checked the page and single tubes and matched sets of four are still available. The option to buy a matched set of two tubes has disappeared.

My matched set of two tubes shipped yesterday.

I wonder how far off an unmatched pair would be if I decided to order a set. Maybe they just say "matched" :rolleyes:

Well I sure if you only need two you could see if someone else needs two and order a set of matched quads. or keep the other two for back up

Reactions: RatsoW8
The tubes arrived in perfect condition. I was going to install them last weekend but the SB-200 took a dump. I pushed the power switch on Saturday and saw the meter lamp light for a split second and go out. Power never actually came up on the amp. There is power to the on/off switch and it tests ok so I think something opened in the soft-start module which is next in-line.

Going to try to pry it off the chassis (it's glued on) this weekend and check the resistors.

So I poked around the soft start board last night and found one of the 10 ohm 10 watt resistors to be open. Radio Shack still stocks these resistors and my local store has them. I hope the fix is that easy :)

I replaced the two load resistors in the soft start module and the amp is working fine with the new tubes. I removed the Cetrons that were in the amp to tset the amp for the smoke test of course..

The new Taylor tubes from RF Parts look like copies of the Cetrons I'm keeping as a back up set. With 65 watts drive the amp runs about 650 watts 80-15m and about 500 on 10m. That's assuming the meter on my tuner is colse and I think it is.

SB%20-200%202_zps5uesi276.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.