• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 Meter Rig

Jaymom

Mar 14, 2011
Ocala, FL.
I'm looking for a 6 meter mobile rig and would like some idea's on what I should be looking for. I have a ICOM IC-718 and I just bought a Yaesu FT-7900 and I love them both. I do not have anything what so ever for 6 meters though. From what I have heard on 2 meters, 6 meters is going strong. I passed up a 6 meter rig that started out as a kit about 2 months ago at a ham fest in Gainesville, FL. and I am sorry I did now. I can't seem to find the kit on the internet. E-Bay hasn't been any help either. This is all I have found so far....

http://aero-smith.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=1417

How about it, any tips?

Harold

Last edited:

If you are willing to spend that kind of money on a MFJ take a look at this for a few dollars more. 100 watts

Ranger RCI-5054DX Amateur 6 Meter Mobile Radio from Ranger Communications

And it looks kinda cool

I'm looking for a 6 meter mobile rig and would like some idea's on what I should be looking for. I have a ICOM IC-718 and I just bought a Yaesu FT-7900 and I love them both. I do not have anything what so ever for 6 meters though. From what I have heard on 2 meters, 6 meters is going strong. I passed up a 6 meter rig that started out as a kit about 2 months ago at a ham fest in Gainesville, FL. and I am sorry I did now. I can't seem to find the kit on the internet. E-Bay hasn't been any help either. This is all I have found so far....

MFJ-9406X [MFJ-9406X] - $267.48 :: Aero Smith - Amateur Radio Products

How about it, any tips?

Harold

Just to many brainwashed 2 meter junkies out there that refuse to see the benefits of operating on 6.

I'd love to see more 6 and 10 meter repeaters out there, but they are expensive.

There are plenty of stations out there, but you need a good rig, antenna and location to work them when the band is short.

What is a nice active 6 meter frequency? Ide like to program in emeory a good frequency I can frequently check to see if 6 is open frome time to time.

50.125 is the call frequency for USB, I usually hear from 50.125 - 50.200 once you hear them on the call frequency. Need a Horizontal Antenna

52.525 is call frequency for FM. Need a Vertical Antenna

Happy....you sold me on that rig fair and square. I saw it but didnt read enough. I didnt realize that it was all mode. Now to find the best deal for it out there. It sure is a beautiful radio.

Many thanks,

Have a blessed day,
Harold

I'm glad I read this before I called them. I wonder what company policy's they have for warranty's on their product. Have to give this some more thought.

Thanks,
Harold

Saw a Ranger 5054DX at HAMCOM in Plano this past Saturday. Almost new in the box.
Good looking rig. Guy only wanted $150 for it. If I hadn't already had several mobile rigs that covered 6 meters, I'd have bought it. As far as I know, no one bought it. Keep looking and you'll find one at a good price. 6 Meters mobile can be quite fun.
james
aka:Trucker

I'll do it Trucker. Right now I'm waiting for the 21st to get here at which time I will have a chance to ask fellow members what they suggest at our monthly meeting. I want something before the end of the month when we have our field day event. I don't believe we have a 6 meter repeater close enough to my QTH but never the less I do want a 6 meter rig that I can program the repeater offset if we ever do get a repeater.

Harold

Avoid the 5054DX if you plan on doing repeater work on 6 meter.

It has no CTCSS board, you could always buy a board and add to it, now the cost is going up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.