• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 Meter Rig

Jaymom

Mar 14, 2011
Ocala, FL.
I'm looking for a 6 meter mobile rig and would like some idea's on what I should be looking for. I have a ICOM IC-718 and I just bought a Yaesu FT-7900 and I love them both. I do not have anything what so ever for 6 meters though. From what I have heard on 2 meters, 6 meters is going strong. I passed up a 6 meter rig that started out as a kit about 2 months ago at a ham fest in Gainesville, FL. and I am sorry I did now. I can't seem to find the kit on the internet. E-Bay hasn't been any help either. This is all I have found so far....

http://aero-smith.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=1417

How about it, any tips?

Harold

Last edited:

If you are willing to spend that kind of money on a MFJ take a look at this for a few dollars more. 100 watts

Ranger RCI-5054DX Amateur 6 Meter Mobile Radio from Ranger Communications

And it looks kinda cool

I'm looking for a 6 meter mobile rig and would like some idea's on what I should be looking for. I have a ICOM IC-718 and I just bought a Yaesu FT-7900 and I love them both. I do not have anything what so ever for 6 meters though. From what I have heard on 2 meters, 6 meters is going strong. I passed up a 6 meter rig that started out as a kit about 2 months ago at a ham fest in Gainesville, FL. and I am sorry I did now. I can't seem to find the kit on the internet. E-Bay hasn't been any help either. This is all I have found so far....

MFJ-9406X [MFJ-9406X] - $267.48 :: Aero Smith - Amateur Radio Products

How about it, any tips?

Harold

Just to many brainwashed 2 meter junkies out there that refuse to see the benefits of operating on 6.

I'd love to see more 6 and 10 meter repeaters out there, but they are expensive.

There are plenty of stations out there, but you need a good rig, antenna and location to work them when the band is short.

What is a nice active 6 meter frequency? Ide like to program in emeory a good frequency I can frequently check to see if 6 is open frome time to time.

50.125 is the call frequency for USB, I usually hear from 50.125 - 50.200 once you hear them on the call frequency. Need a Horizontal Antenna

52.525 is call frequency for FM. Need a Vertical Antenna

Happy....you sold me on that rig fair and square. I saw it but didnt read enough. I didnt realize that it was all mode. Now to find the best deal for it out there. It sure is a beautiful radio.

Many thanks,

Have a blessed day,
Harold

I'm glad I read this before I called them. I wonder what company policy's they have for warranty's on their product. Have to give this some more thought.

Thanks,
Harold

Saw a Ranger 5054DX at HAMCOM in Plano this past Saturday. Almost new in the box.
Good looking rig. Guy only wanted $150 for it. If I hadn't already had several mobile rigs that covered 6 meters, I'd have bought it. As far as I know, no one bought it. Keep looking and you'll find one at a good price. 6 Meters mobile can be quite fun.
james
aka:Trucker

I'll do it Trucker. Right now I'm waiting for the 21st to get here at which time I will have a chance to ask fellow members what they suggest at our monthly meeting. I want something before the end of the month when we have our field day event. I don't believe we have a 6 meter repeater close enough to my QTH but never the less I do want a 6 meter rig that I can program the repeater offset if we ever do get a repeater.

Harold

Avoid the 5054DX if you plan on doing repeater work on 6 meter.

It has no CTCSS board, you could always buy a board and add to it, now the cost is going up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned