• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 meters today

I bought an IC 7000 last night, hope to have it in the Bahamas within two weeks. be back on the air very soon.

Good to see you back. I was wondering about you after the big hurricane hit you guys but I think the worst of it passed north of you. Is your Larcan still working? I spent the day over to Warren's VO1KS this afternoon and we ended up talking a bit about the Larcan amps.

It passed north and destroyed two islands, literally leveled them, i was there in the aftermath it was like being in a movie, nothing i can describe or convey with words.

Life got in the way i got married has kids etc. larcan actually has never been fired up since i owned it, i have it and a bird line section for it, the power supply and pretty much everything i need except for a T/R relay.

I got my tower up about 2 years ago at the house i moved to with my wife, but only got antennas up about a week ago and then found out both of my radios have developed issues. I need to get my FT 847 Fixed but hope the IC 7000 gets me on the air for now.

I also never did any mods to the Larcan, some people say needed for 6m some say it wasnt.

It passed north and destroyed two islands, literally leveled them, i was there in the aftermath it was like being in a movie, nothing i can describe or convey with words.

Life got in the way i got married has kids etc. larcan actually has never been fired up since i owned it, i have it and a bird line section for it, the power supply and pretty much everything i need except for a T/R relay.

I got my tower up about 2 years ago at the house i moved to with my wife, but only got antennas up about a week ago and then found out both of my radios have developed issues. I need to get my FT 847 Fixed but hope the IC 7000 gets me on the air for now.

I also never did any mods to the Larcan, some people say needed for 6m some say it wasnt.

Good to hear from you. My Larcan is still waiting to be put on the air. Remember however that it has already had mods done to make it work better on 6m. That is what Warren was doing. They have already been modded for 6m. Nothing further required it work on 6m except for a ptt and T/R relay and power supply The tuning has already been done.

Good to hear from you. My Larcan is still waiting to be put on the air. Remember however that it has already had mods done to make it work better on 6m. That is what Warren was doing. They have already been modded for 6m. Nothing further required it work on 6m except for a ptt and T/R relay and power supply The tuning has already been done.

OK, i wasnt sure if those very first ones were like that... once im on the air i will get a relay and put it to use then. Mine still has your signature.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
The IC-7000 is a very capable radio. The receiver is adequate and transmitter stable.
You need a good ICOM compatible desk mic. Like the Heil ICM. Some op's have had good success with the very cheap BM800 mics thru Amazon.
Dynamic mics will work but need to block that 8vdc power on the audio line ICOM uses to run the mic preamp on their mics. The Dynamic mic will require more audio gain and a little tweaking of the internal EQ. They will sound very bassy and not the crisp audio needed for VHF/UHF SSB usage. IMHO
The hand mics are junk without some mods. I had mine rebuilt for use mobile and at least was usable after mods.
Be great to have you on 6 meters again.
I look forward to working you.
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

20200524_095705.jpg
20200524_095705.jpg
The IC-7000 is a very capable radio. The receiver is adequate and transmitter stable.
You need a good ICOM compatible desk mic. Like the Heil ICM. Some op's have had good success with the very cheap BM800 mics thru Amazon.
Dynamic mics will work but need to block that 8vdc power on the audio line ICOM uses to run the mic preamp on their mics. The Dynamic mic will require more audio gain and a little tweaking of the internal EQ. They will sound very bassy and not the crisp audio needed for VHF/UHF SSB usage. IMHO
The hand mics are junk without some mods. I had mine rebuilt for use mobile and at least was usable after mods.
Be great to have you on 6 meters again.
I look forward to working you.
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Ok. Thanks for the great info. I have rack mount audio gear I used to use with the 847. It would need adapting for the 7000 but for now I will research what you noted I did find the mic mod online. Likely I will look into running rack gear into it at some point but I'm not sure if that is even necessary anymore alot has changed the past few years.

Last edited:
View attachment 37536 View attachment 37536

Ok. Thanks for the great info. I have rack mount audio gear I used to use with the 847. It would need adapting for the 7000 but for now I will research what you noted I did find the mic mod online. Likely I will look into running rack gear into it at some point but I'm not sure if that is even necessary anymore alot has changed the past few years.

I remember that!! LOL Yeah I can see the SMD capacitors that Warren added to the input and output sections of each MOSFET on that board. It is already retuned for 6m.

What a crazy day on the band!
Grid Squares worked
Texas stations:
EL09 - EL28 - EL29 - EM00 - EM10 - EM12 -
DM91 Op was using a Multiband Hygain Vertical 4 feet above ground!!!
80 watts

Colo. stations:
DN70... 10-watt MFJ 9406 QRP rig with 3 element beam at 15ft
DN60

Wyoming:
DN71
... Nr. Cheyanne ... Op was using a 40-meter Dipole @20 ft. 75 watts

Lousiana:
EL39 - EL49 - EM30

Tenn ... EM56
MO ... EM48
KY ... EM78

Florida:
EM60 ... EM70 ... EL88 ... EL99

MEXICO ... DL98

Stations heard but did not work ...UTAH ... Nevada
I was heard in Calif by member FIRERUNNER / KK6USY ...but I could not pull him out
Might have an update later...Band still open 23:19z
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Well yesterday was the day I was waiting for! Had the day off and not on call. 6 was open all day but I really didn't have time to play until about 6:30pm. For 1 1/2 hours I had my first pile up. Picked up 18 new girds, 8 new states and 2 new grids in Quebec. Tons of fun!! At around 7:30 some signals from PN, NJ were +20. I had one guy QRP 5 watts 5/7 so I went QRP just for fun. He said I went from 5/9 to 5/7. I think I have caught the 6 meter bug. Next step is to get those 5 elements a little bit higher...

Officially on the air...my HF Yagi has a bad swr after sitting, but my VHF 2m and 6m beams are great :) been on 6 tonight listening, nothing yet... trying to learn the ic7000... im very confused alot of the time but its getting better.

cant wait to make my first QSO on 6 with the new setup.

my HF Yagi has a bad swr after sitting

Do you use a remote switch on your beams? Meaning one coax to switch between all your antennas on the tower?
I sold my 7000 about a year ago, ran it mobile but might remember a few tricks...So feel free to ask...I may remember a trick or two ???
I hope you get it ready for the VHF/UHF Contest this weekend!

Large Meteor Scatter group on every morning on 50.145 @ 7:00 AM EDST (US) many stations in FLA/GA and around the Gulf Coast. Plus many stations in Mid-West USA get on. Occasionally... ZF1EJ/Eden also on during that time.
Be great to hear C6 "In the Air". (What call will you be using?)

All the Best
Gary/W9FNB (EM79) IND

... edit...I sold my 7000 about a year ago, ran it mobile but might remember a few tricks...So feel free to ask..

Well, lets start with the S-Video jack, get an S video plug and then connect to an external monitor, or even the video display in your car or those cheap DVR players that run on 12 vdc .
I bought mine @ Wally World, 2 displays 12 vdc power cord and s-video connector/wiring for abour $30.

band-scope.jpg

As fasr as I know, the IC7K is the only "recent" rig with an S Video jack.

2016-04-09-20.08.51-1.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?