• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6KV6A Tube?

I have a Kris Power Pump linear with a 6KV6A driving two 6MJ6 tubes that are all brand new. My Cobra 2000GTL deadkeys 1-1.5 watts and swings to 17 watts on AM and 22 on SSB. What is the maximum dead key and drive wattage that I can safely put into the 6KV6A tube without causing damage to the tube? Tube guru's please help.

Thanks,

broncoman529 said:
I have a Kris Power Pump linear with a 6KV6A driving two 6MJ6 tubes that are all brand new. My Cobra 2000GTL dead keys 1-1.5 watts and swings to 17 watts on AM and 22 on SSB. What is the maximum dead key and drive wattage that I can safely put into the 6KV6A tube without causing damage to the tube? Tube guru's please help.

Thanks,

The 6KV6A and the associated circuitry were designed and perfected long before some disingenuous CB'ers decided to lower the dead-key of their 25 watt AM radios to 1 watt and then swing it to saturation at 22 watts.

The 6KV6A will accept 22 watts input however, Tubes are not transistors, what 'supposedly' works for transistors (if you are willing to accept the IMD products and hash and mash that you generate on the band) does not work in practice for tubes; your radio should be keying 4 watts.

If you want to develop swing in a tube amp, you do this adding volts to the screen grid and by raising the negative bias voltage on the control grid of the tube.

Reactions: 1 person
I have a home brew amp with 4 6KV6A tubes driving 8 6P45S tubes! The 6P45S tubes are the Russian equal to the EL509, EL519, 5KG6 and 6KG6A tubes. I have found that 4 w dead key into this amp is not quite enough! Sure it perform OK with 4 atts but with a 6 to 8 watt dead key they love it! The amp will do well into 2000w pep and I am swinging 25 pep input! Amps been running for 4 years now with only a choke and a cap to go bad in that time. Parts were used when I built it so they were apt to go down! Maybe its because I have 4 of these tubes as driver and not 1 or 2 but these will take more! I am thinking about putting another 6KV6A in this amp and use it as a driver!

The 6KV6A only has a 28 watt plate dissipation and driving a pair with 22 watts is surely overdriving the stage into gain compression. You'll probably find this amp feeds RF into these tubes through the control grid element which substantially reduces the drive requirements you would find in grounded grid cathode driven circuits.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio