• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6m is coming to Life

*note to self: Remove low-pass filter when trying to hear 6m!

BWAAAAHAAHAA!!! I did the same thing many years ago with my FT-857 which uses the same antenna port for HF as it does 6m. I was wondering why I could not trip the local 6m repeater then I saw a high SWR alert on the radio. I traced every cable, switch etc and found nothing wrong. Then I tripped the repeater with an HF radio thru a transverter and everything was fine..........except the FT-857 was still dead. Then it hit me.........the low pass filter was inline. o_O

SOB....:mad: My days off saw a complete drop in 6m activity. I went back on Tuesday and it picked up. I am not off until Saturday and will put the radio back in the truck. If 6m dies on the weekend I am responsible for it.

Reactions: N0NB
I'm not a huge fan of digital modes, but FT8 has become very common / popular on 6 meters. So dug out my Signalink USB and set it back up for the first time in years.

Over the last week, I've made about 100 FT8 contacts. Even though I don't really like the mode, it was very cool to see Japan (QM08) get confirmed in LOTW over night.

Reactions: N0NB
6 opened this morning for us. All state side. Computer I was going to use to log went tits up (working now at home--odd), so logged by paper. Tried CW for a bit but either the Es was very unstable or it was meteor scatter. I think I made two CW Qs and gave the keyer back to the HF station.

I didn't hear any SSB activity on 6 yesterday but would tune up to .313 and there would be FT-8 signals.

On 6 one must be nimble, one must be quick.

figures the dx would roll. when all my stuff is in storage. just moved so its going be a bit before i can get a radio going. just my luck

Played around this evening on 6m CQ-VHF Contest....ALL SSB(y)...no DIGI stuff here!:rolleyes:
from IND EM79...
COOL Grids worked:
VE5MX...DN89...Weyburn, SK Canada,
VE5UF....DO61...Saskatoon, Canada
VA6AN....DO42...Edmonton, ALBERTA
VE5DLC..DO60
VE4FT.....EN19
XE2R......EL06...LA PAZ, MEXICO
PACIFIC NW: CN84 / OR... CN87 / WA ...CN88..Camano Island,WA
MOBILE...EN50
OTHERS: DN98...N.DAKOTA
Short Hops also to MINN / WY / CO / NEB
PLUS: TX / NM / UT
All in about 2 hours...never called CQ once, just watched the scope and pounced :):ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackcat630
I was at work watching the VHF propagation maps. My truck had the 6m gear in it in the parking lot. :cry: then i got home and showered and sat down to relax after a 12 hr. shift and looked at the map again. More :cry:. The entire coast from here down to past Virginia was RED indicating great band openings. By then I just said to hell with it and settled down for the evening. Shortly after that the band was dead. Going camping for a few days the first of August and WILL have my gear with me running mobile on 6m as well as probably 15/20m.

GREAT LITTLE SURPRISE FROM 6M:
With the Eskip season slowing down on 10/11 and 6 meters.
Still a nice opening this afternoon 3 NEW ones logged from Indiana!
D4Z....SAO VICENTE ISLAND...CAPE VERDE ISLAND GROUP...AFRICA...GRID HK76

Worked in 2/ modes BOTH CW and SSB
CW...20:11z
SSB...20:38z

KL7SB/VP9... BERMUDA Is. GRID FM72...21:10z...CW

F4VPC...FRANCE...GRID IN87...21:55z...SSB...

Also had a nice 10-15 minute chat with KK4MA...Mike from S. Car. in his 6m MOBILE.
Meet Mike at XENIA/HAMVENTION this year...Great GUY and GOOD OP!

Really cool to land all three NEWBIE's in that short span of the opening.
NOTE:
The Meteor shower is building (the Perseids meteor shower) to peak this weekend and early next week.
https://www.space.com/32868-perseid-meteor-shower-guide.html
The shower always brings a
opportunity to make some interesting contacts on 6/2 meters...Look for best results about One Hour before Sunrise till about One Hour after Sunrise, but bursts can happen at anytime...Contacts could last a few seconds or a few minutes depending on the size and path of the meteor.
Projections are good as the Comet's
debris trail has some normally bigger particles than in resent years.
Good Sky watching and Radio Fun may be

in-store.
ENJOY
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.