• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

73's

kopcicle

Feb 17, 2016
Even TOM (The Old Man, 1AW) made mistakes. By definition, 73 is already plural. Going back to my Novice daze (1970), I NEVER used (nor heard) the plural or worse, the plural possessive form.

vy 73 es gl,
Bryan WA7PRC

well...

N2EY said:

Maybe. However, having read much of HPM's writing, it's my opinion that ol' Hiram had a dry Yankee sense of humor, and that the "73's" thing was his way of poking a bit of fun.

73 de Jim, N2EY

1AW.jpeg

In addition to his civil, mechanical and electrical endeavors, Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim "compiled and edited" a book he called Li Hung Chang's Scrapbook. This book was addressed to Li Hung Chang (also spelled Li Hongzhang and Li Hung-chang) and endeavored to address a belief that "The Chinese were generally puzzled as to how it was possible for people who are able to build locomotives and steamships to have a religion based on a belief in devils, ghosts, impossible miracles, and all the other absurdities and impossibilities peculiar to the religion taught by the missionaries."[37] Sir Hiram Stevens Maxim (5 February 1840 – 24 November 1916)

It appears Hiram Percy Maxim came by his dry wit honestly or at least from definable ancestry . It's no sillier than any other explanation and at least plausible.

It has long been my policy to always use “73’s” whenever someone tells me I’m not allowed to. Sometimes I’ll even add “Best” to really make their right eye twitch, since it roughly translates to “Best best regardses.”

73's

I'll be handing out tons of them Best 73s as soon as I can get all them SWRs set right in my radio.

Reactions: kopcicle

Li Hung Chang's Scrapbook

And just a reminder

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.