• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

9' of coax in mobile install to lower SWR?

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
So I bought a used Ford Escape as my old truck is deemed caput.

Going to mount my Uniden 78 in center console as it's very deep.

Antenna is a 5' FS 2. Worked well on prior pickup but had 18' of coax that came with it as a kit.

Only need about 7' run to get to console. Anyone see any issues as to running just say 9' of coax?? I don't want to run 18' in a coil. Lol.

Also keep in mind the radio has RFX95 so I'm trying to keep SWR low and was thinking that whole increment of 9' thing with coax.

I may swap in a 102" whip for less wind resistance than the FS 5'.

0C4DC971-4990-4A5F-AD95-70C588666291.jpeg

The 9' increment makes little sense, if you think about it. Every coax would have to have the same velocity factor to equal the same proportions of a wavelength....and they don't.

You can run shorter coax. You can run 7' if that's what you want.

The only time length comes into play is hiding another problem, IMO.

EDIT: and with phasing arrangements.

Like 2NC995 said the amount you need for the run from antenna feed point to radio is all you need. It is easier for shops to sell 1/4 wave increments. The 1/4 wave increments may assist common install issues as an ideal ground plane in a vehicle is not an everyday finding. That all being said try the 18 foot piece you have already see if you are happy with results. Spool the extra up like an extension cord and place under a rear floor mat or under passenger seat Try out how you like you new install. I have a similar install on my Nissan Rouge but the antenna is on drivers side and the radio is up front at the console I ended up with extra from the 18 foot piece. The coax runs under the back deck the under the door jam trim. Then across under the dash to the radio.

Last edited:
Get a 500ft spool. Drag it out to the Ford. Start running the coax like you need it, through all the little nooks and crannies. When you make the run, chop it off and install your connectors, I suggest crimps, if my opinion counts.

That’s it! If it’s 4ft 4in or 9ft 2in, that’s all you need. So many of these “myths” that I too wish we could eliminate from this hobby. But sadly the koolaid brigade has spread this misinformation and false propaganda over the years.

my ranger uses 9 feet of rg213 from the antenna to the amp and 6 feet of rg8x from amp to radio,,,, i didnt do no formalas or figureing,, just what i needed from point a to b,,,,i have a good match and it gets out very good,,

....... I'm trying to keep SWR low and was thinking that whole increment of 9' thing with coax.

Tell me......what is it with the 9 foot increments that you are trying to stick with? It means NOTHING. It is NOT a quarter wavelength since velocity factor has to be taken into account. Throw out the idea that length matters. If changing length changes SWR you have other issues at play that need to be corrected. How do ham operators run multiband antennas mobile without having "special" lengths of coax for each band? Also NOTHING wrong with rolling up a few feet of cable and tucking it under the seat or wherever. The cable is shielded and will NOT form an inductor like a regular coil of wire will.

(Yawn). So with the pencils.
Shorter club. Rules.

The idea about bulk coax is VERY good. These discussions focus on theoretical (proven) which is only right.

Mobile means noise.

If, as me, you wish to treat for such at both ends . . . don’t cut until ferrite toroids are wound-in-place.

Your choice may be different (something else or nothing), but . . .

. . a seven-foot run may need another thirteen-feet of windings for two FT-240-31 toroids (one each end) thus totaling a little over twenty-feet of coax to match that initial seven.

The total amount of coax needed isn’t obvious until the physical layout is done.

You might also want other devices in line. If not today then where would you mount them?

As length doesn’t matter, (just girth; for, as some may be RG59, others are 1-5/8” Heliax), tickling her signals comes down to enough.

For some reason I was looking at the WILSON 18’ Mini-8 Coax here at the North Forty truck stop three hours ago. Guess I was receiving the signal. Has an FME-end for easier threading INTO vehicle from outside. Performance is good enough that I can say it’s an easy, expensive ($32) AVAILABLE choice nationwide.

I’ve been thinking about a BALUN DESIGN 1:1 cube at the feedpoint. (Already have a bandpass from ARRAY DESIGN. Battle of the MetroPlex Baluns & Bandpass from a few miles apart). Beat me to it, wilya? Ha!

Last edited:
I thought the same. Adding coax length would lower SWR or raise wattage. I was wrong. I added 6’ then another 6’ from amp to LP filter for a total of 12’. So that’s 30’ of coax. WRONG... removed the 12’ and added the 3’ jumper and it was the same.

Isn’t mobile radio fun?? LOL

Reactions: Slowmover
If you tune at feed point then it doesn't matter about length however if you tune from radio or a SWR meter with jumper and with amplifiers the meter looks at everything as a whole.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated