• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

955hp blowing fuse

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
A buddy of mine pulled his Stryker out of storage, and the fuse instablows. He said there were no issues before. Anyone know the likely cause? He can't afford to send it in for repair so I was thinking of trying to help him out.

It was in his house so I doubt it moisture. I was thinking that the protection diode blowing just made a dead radio, but it's been a long time since I blew one. I'll have him take a pic of that area.

The current rating of a protection diode is nearly always lower than the current rating of the fuse for that radio. If you get the polarity backwards, this pretty well guarantees the diode will get more current through it than it's rated, before the fuse can trip and shut it down. This makes that diode a one-time protector. Usual way the diode fails is to become short circuit.

That's where the odds point to, not knowing any more about where it's been or how it's been treated.

I'm thinking D501 in the circle? Looks kinda funny, but requested a better pic. Not really the area I expected to find it, so its probably not it anyways.

20201003_222031.jpg

Ok, I'll have him bypass the fuse to confirm. Seriously though, it has to be the diode. He said it blows the fuse with the radio off. Then again it does have some sort of lighting installed and there is a wire from the positive going to a switch on the cover. God only knows what that mess is, but it's either shorted diode, or shorted wires for the lights.

That's what I thought. I have always just desoldered to avoid any other interference because its foolproof. I'll try to have him desolder one side and test. Thanks for your help yet again nomad

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.