• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

9lbs of noise on my radio,help!!

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
Okay so I put up my new antenna it is a sirio vector 4000, and I am getting during the day a solid 9lbs of noise than at night it will go down to 1 to 3lbs, I have the antenna on a push up pole, I think it is a ground issue because I have another radio hooked up to the same antenna and it is getting the same noise

what is the best way to ground the antenna? also what type of grounding equipment should I use?

all I have in town is a radioshack, lowes and a home depot and a ace hardware.

any help would be greatly appreciated

i will have to look at the other thread on this to see if something has changed, but this does not sound at all like a grounding problem, and while i am all for safety, i think you will be wasting your time and money trying to fix the problem in this way.

your interference is most likely coming from an outside source.

you might need to get a field strength meter (you can make one for cheap, instructions online all over the place)
and walk around your neighborhood looking for the source.

the grounding of your antenna is not going to cause you to receive 9 S units of noise during the day, and then get better at night.
your antenna is not dependent on the ground system for its ability to pick up skip signals.
LC

Okay so I put up my new antenna it is a sirio vector 4000, and I am getting during the day a solid 9lbs of noise than at night it will go down to 1 to 3lbs, I have the antenna on a push up pole, I think it is a ground issue because I have another radio hooked up to the same antenna and it is getting the same noise

what is the best way to ground the antenna? also what type of grounding equipment should I use?

all I have in town is a radioshack, lowes and a home depot and a ace hardware.

any help would be greatly appreciated

radioman, I agree with Loosecannon for the most part. In my area in Texas in the summer months, conditions get noisy, or i get static crashes where the receive needle goes up and down...minute to minute.

You'll hear plenty about grounding, but I've never experienced a noticeable noise reduction by grounding. For sure when conditions are bad.

Rain in our area tends often to mitigate such problems for me. Humidity in the air, or the lack of it, might also might show some effects too.

When I use to change antennas often, I sometimes suspected that noise might have show to change at some particular heights, but that was never really convincing and I made no notes in that regard, this was just something I noticed at different heights.

Make sure everything on the antenna is good and tight...of course without stripping anything.

If you really feel like grounding will help, then do what you can and keep us posted.

How high is you new Vector?

Good luck.

it is about I want to say 30 maybe 35 feet to the tip and this noise was never there when I had my old Avanti av170 ground plane up I wish I knew how to solve this it is a solid 9 pounds on every single channel and frequency I also hear a slight hum with it to, if that matters?

radioman,

i am happy to help you if i can, but i just looked at your other thread on this exact subject and noticed that you havent responded to answer any of the questions i asked you in it.

my questions here will be exactly the same, so its up to you which thread you choose to answer them in, but be sure, anyone that tries to help you with this problem will need to know the answers to the questions i asked.

i probably wont be on the forum for the next few days, but dont let that stop you from posting your answers here ASAP.

if you will make a post that provides all the little details that may seem insignificant to you, provides the history of your station, again with all the details, im sure that someone on here will be able to nudge you in the right direction.
the better your post is, the more help you'll get.

also, did you say that your vector 4000 is only 35 feet to the tip?

that antenna is about 28 feet long, meaning that your antenna is only 7 or 8 feet off the ground.
that is nowhere near high enough to realize the benefits of that antenna.
that low height also makes you REALLY susceptible to interference from yours and your neighbors appliances.

you dont need grounding help, you need a push up pole!
good luck, here is a review of your antenna just for some more info:
Hevener.Com© - The Sirio Vector 4000 Review

LC

i would say its a electronic interference . florestant light bulb, transformer noise,plasma tvs
are good for this. my flat screen tv cause noise in my radio every channel 10-11 mters.
hope ya figure it out . id start unplugging everything in house one by one till noise drops
when/if it does take note of what ya just unplugged.hope ya figure it out

Thank you loosecannon, I love that you want to help me along with others okay here is a step by step guide on what I have done since day 1.

I put up my vector 4000 on this push up pole and it is at about 35 feet to the tip, than I redid my coax connections cause they were getting corrosion on them, than I put the antenna on the mast and hooked up my coax and than that's when I heard the noise for the first time, so the next day I went outside and watered the ground where the mast is very heavy and the noise went away left came home a few hours later and the noise was back and has been since, I have watered that mast over and over than I had my friend turn off circuit breakers in the house the noise was still there I even plugged in another radio noise is still there last time I has my radio setup I ran a old school Avanti av170 ground plane and the same radio and no noise at all so I am just confused as to what to do? :(

I have power lines in the back yard, and I run a Imax 2k, its up 21ft to the base of the antenna...I used some 10ga stranded wire, have it up under the bottom U bolt, and have it ran down the mast pipe I taped it in a few places down the pipe to the ground, where I used a metal pipe for a grd rod, which is about 3ft in the grd and used a water clamp to clamp the wire to it...

And I also took a old ext cord I had here, it has 3 wires inside it, and I used a water clamp and clamped the wire to the bottom of the mast pipe, and ran it about 20ft, over to a 5/8s solid copper ground rod that is 7'6" in the ground and used a metal clamp and clamped the wire to the grd rod..

Through the day time hours I usually have a pound of static noise, and at nights its about the same, maybe a little less noise....sometimes I don't get the noise at nights, it comes and goes..

As I type this, its 1:30am here and I have a half pound of noise, it is dropping out...

I also have a buss bar on the back of the table here and used a 4ga wire and it is all grounded outside in the same place on the 5/8s grd rod...don't no if this has made a differences or not in that situation..

I used to have a lot of noise on the radio a few months back, but not sure if the radio has made the differences or whats happened...but the noise has dropped off some .....

Hmmmm......dang. I have run an IMAX on 20 feet of mast for 5 years now on the base with NO PROBLEMS at all.

Radioman it appears to me that you have eliminated your home as a source of the interference, if your friend turned off all off your breakers in succession. It is possible that one of your neighbors could have placed a new electronic device online, or it could be caused by faulty power pole hardware. If you are experiencing extremely dry and dusty conditions, arcing could be occurring. The power company can resolve this, if it turns out to be the culprit.

An easy way to localize the source is to use a portable am or shortwave receiver tuned to an unused frequency, and walk around your house and neighborhood until the noise is strongest. Switch to a higher frequency or frequency band as the noise gets stronger. You can get even closer to pinpointing the source, by using an old handheld scanner set to the AM aircraft band between 118-136 MHz. You could also use the 200-400 MHz military aircraft AM band for further discrimination of the noise source. Good luck.

Last edited:
hey m42duster I made a video and posted on my youtube channel my user name there is azmann30 the video is called galaxy Saturn turbo noise

also how can I get the power company out here to check there equipment? will they charge me for it? I tracked the noise to right behind my house

Dan

ok so you tracked the noise to behind your house. so now what is back there?
1]other house
2]electric lines [power]
3]florecent lights [ flood light]
all 3 of these can be the culprit . #3 would mostly be at night unless it on 24/7
also if possible check different times during the day say early mourning/ afternoon/evening /middle of nght/. if its a nearby neighbor maybe they have something on. my flatscreen
tv gives my radio a reading of s6 in the house and mobile even at end of driveway 100 feet
away from house.

there is a house behind me I went over and talked to him he has no new household electronics so I am thinking bad power line equipment and those noise drops down from 9lbs to 3 right around 6:30 to 7pm at night but it does not go fully away.

hey m42duster I made a video and posted on my youtube channel my user name there is azmann30 the video is called galaxy Saturn turbo noise

also how can I get the power company out here to check there equipment? will they charge me for it? I tracked the noise to right behind my house

Dan

Can you please post a link here?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.