• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A completely UNHACKED Cobra 2000GTL LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I guess he doesn't know how to reduce the DC voltage to the final with a resistor or pass transistor if you want it variable. Then add a capacitor across it to carry the full modulated AF to the final for PEP swing. That trick has been around since the days of tubes and will work in any hi level modulated AM radio that doesn't have a carrier control already in it.

Reactions: loosecannon
Hmmm, I guess he doesn't know how to reduce the DC voltage to the final with a resistor or pass transistor if you want it variable. Then add a capacitor across it to carry the full modulated AF to the final for PEP swing. That trick has been around since the days of tubes and will work in any hi level modulated AM radio that doesn't have a carrier control already in it.

This has indeed been around for some time now I seen it in an old book and I also had this done to an old Realistic TRC-453 I believe it was.

well thats the difference isnt it.
being able to apply the concept of a mod to different radios rather than have to find specific instructions online for a particular radio.

the oldest printed version of this mod ive seen was in vol. 5 of the secret cb books. ca.1979

it was called the super modulation mod and was for some old boman base i think.
LC

well thats the difference isnt it.
being able to apply the concept of a mod to different radios rather than have to find specific instructions online for a particular radio.

the oldest printed version of this mod ive seen was in vol. 5 of the secret cb books. ca.1979

it was called the super modulation mod and was for some old boman base i think.
LC

LOL.. I got that same meter, and thats how I mod by whistling into the mic, but I am new to this hobbie so thats my excuse... Whats his? LOL

I really hate all the switches and knobs on the back. Putting an echo and a peat/repeat in a Cobra 2000 should be an A Felony.
The switches on the back are not quite as moronic as some people putting variable power knobs on the back of their mobile radios.

To each his own when it comes to adding features to a radio, no matter what they are.
The only thing I stick on is that if there is not enough room to bring all of the knobs through the front of the radio (Base or Mobile) where the knobs belong, I don't want it and will not do it.

Sometimes people want to limit the amount of defacing done to a radio. Once you drill a hole in the front of a classic, you just scrubbed value right off the top. For example when I wanted variable RF power on my old Tram D201 VOX radio I installed the potentiometer in an existing vent hole on the chassis rather then the front panel. I was also told there was no modification for variable power on the D201. It couldn't get any simpler then to control the voltage to the pre driver transistor in front of the 12BY7A through a pass transistor.

Reactions: 1 person
My rebuttal

Well I see that you are are talking about me and my work and I just want to say thanks very much for the publicity. I have never been busier than I am now lol. And to Tony why are you so angry and condecending towards someone you dont even know in person. And as far as the mods that I do goes yes I have taken the best mods from the net and I use them to create some of the best custom 148`s out there and I am not bragging just look at my testimonials on my website they speak for them selves. I dobnt hold a gun to anyones head to get work done by me people need a good shop they can trust and they find me and like what I do so whats the problem? I dont get all the negativity towards me nor do I claim that they are my mods. I have found a nich and it keeps me off of the welfare roles what is wrong with that? What I am best at is the mechanics of the whole radio building process. I recently got abird 43 and a b and k 2040 and a service master and I am learning more and more everyday. No one can go from knowing nothing to knowing it all in 5 yrs it is not possible. I strive to be the best at what I do everyday. I have taught my self all that I know by trial and error that is how I learn. And now that I have the full support of Farmer Dave I am unstoppable. He is a great guy and a great human being. And about that lying peice of filth scumbag on soulcast that made it all up about me it is all b.s and made up lies I have never nor would I ever rip anyone off If anything I go the complete oppisite way and give freely of my time and give away free work all the time. And if i have aproblem while modding aradio I get another one and redo all the mods for free. The creator of the blog would not let me nor my customers respond to it so what does that tell you about it. All b.s lies. How could I be dishonest about what I do when I have a live shop cam on my bench? It does not add up And as far as my receiver mods go I studied the block diagram and change the rf and if transistors to high quality sanyo 2999 e parts and also upgrade the caps in the radio to minimum 16 volts or higher. What is wrong with that. The 2000 I built for the customer that wanted it wanted all the controls and a recorder on the back plate HE WANTED IT and will never sell it so get over yourself. If you ever want to put the radio back to stock all you would have to do is gwet anopther back plate. And yes I have the all time record on ebay for a 148 it sold for 305 and it was worth every penny over 15 hrs of labor and 150 plus in parts. So anyway in closing I just wanted to thank you all for trying to cut me down and make me look bad to the world. It never works and just makes me busier. Have a good day :D I sincerely hope this remains here and does not get taken down by the moderators. Thank you

Why did you pull down the video?
You could have gotten on board and calmly explained that the customer wanted the mods done and where they wanted them to be mounted with out going off In an irate manner, would have looked a little better to the public........

Jeff

I will say this.
After going back ( and understand that it has been a year since this thread has been posted in) I would agree that the quality of the work you are doing has improved.
I also note you giving props to Loose cannon radio for helping you out with part of that Mod to work out the smooth scan that is used in the radio.
As for the Mods pulling down your comments,don`t worry, if you want to defend your work that is fine, and after looking at what you are doing now I say you are moving forward.

There are guy`s that do not like to see a 2000 modded in any way, so you are going to come across them if you are in this business.

Jeff

Well I see that you are are talking about me and my work and I just want to say thanks very much for the publicity. I have never been busier than I am now lol. And to Tony why are you so angry and condecending towards someone you dont even know in person. And as far as the mods that I do goes yes I have taken the best mods from the net and I use them to create some of the best custom 148`s out there and I am not bragging just look at my testimonials on my website they speak for them selves. I dobnt hold a gun to anyones head to get work done by me people need a good shop they can trust and they find me and like what I do so whats the problem? I dont get all the negativity towards me nor do I claim that they are my mods. I have found a nich and it keeps me off of the welfare roles what is wrong with that? What I am best at is the mechanics of the whole radio building process. I recently got abird 43 and a band k 2040 and a service master and I am learning more and more everyday. No one can go from knowing nothing to knowing it all in 5 yrs it is not possible. I strive to be the best at what I do everyday. I have taught my self all that I know by trial and error that is how I learn. And now that I have the full support of Farmer Dave I am unstoppable. He is a great guy and a great human being. And about that lying peice of filth scumbag on soulcast that made it all up about me it is all b.s and made up lies I have never nor would I ever rip anyone off If anything I go the complete oppisite way and give freely of my time and give away free work all the time. And if i have aproblem while modding aradio I get another one and redo all the mods for free. The creator of the blog would not let me nor my customers respond to it so what does that tell you about it. All b.s lies. How could I be dishonest about what I do when I have a live shop cam on my bench? It does not add up And as far as my receiver mods go I studied the block diagram and change the rf and if transistors to high quality sanyo 2999 e parts and also upgrade the caps in the radio to minimum 16 volts or higher. What is wrong with that. The 2000 I built for the customer that wanted it wanted all the controls and a recorder on the back plate HE WANTED IT and will never sell it so get over yourself. If you ever want to put the radio back to stock all you would have to do is gwet anopther back plate. And yes I have the all time record on ebay for a 148 it sold for 305 and it was worth every penny over 15 hrs of labor and 150 plus in parts. So anyway in closing I just wanted to thank you all for trying to cut me down and make me look bad to the world. It never works and just makes me busier. Have a good day :D I sincerely hope this remains here and does not get taken down by the moderators. Thank you
A response to the rebuttal:

1) I think it is great that you keep off of welfare by doing radio work. I am glad that people do business with you. So long as they don't mind being a guinea pig and you are willing to make the job right should it have a problem down the line, that is OK too.

2) I also do radio work for locals. Some mods, alignments, and some minor repairs. I don't charge them anything except for parts. Some have given me things that help me continue in return, such as pot cleaner and cans of air. More than all, a 'job well done'; that is the best! I would make sure you have all of the basic alignment tools you need before you do any more work. Get a real scope, an accurate frequency counter, a solid digital multi-meter (Fluke or equivalent), frequency generator, dummy load, and a frequency sampler. The Bird 43 is nice; and the 2040 will work too.

3) I take a careful, conservative, and well known/approved methods of modding. 'If it ain't broke; then don't try to fix it it' works for me and eliminates any comebacks. I don't like hacked up radios; in fact - all of the mods I do can be reversed if the owner wants. Even the diodes clipped for unlocking clarifiers are left intact so that they don't short out somewhere else and can be rejoined to bring it back to stock function. I don't use the factory switches on the front panel for roger beeps and channel mods. I have worked on hacked up radios and simply refuse to work on them any more. To some, a radio that has been hacked up beyond recognition may have great value. But to many, it is a liability and a risk and lowers the value considerably.

Just some thoughts.
Have fun, and work precisely . . .

Last edited:
To the Haters:
Yea I am kinda unsure why all the hate. To me looks like the customer paid to have the work done to the radio, and the man did the work. Now, as far as the quality of work he does, I havent a clue. Never had any work done by the man. But, from this video looks like its pretty clean on the outside atleast.

‪CB RADIO COBRA 2000 GTL CUSTOM‬‏ - YouTube

To snakeradiocustoms:
A couple of things I do not understand is why you removed the video and why so many of your videos you have comments disabled.

Any how opinions are like assholes everybody has one. Its up to you to determine how close you wanna get nose.

Mad or angry?? Not in the least I dont care what a person does to their radio its their choice. If theres a pink corvette on the local car lot and you absolutely love it that does not mean I have to or should. If this was your radio fine but I still would ask why would someone do this as these radios are getting scarce well atleast ones without 50 extra holes drilled in them.

If this is a radio thats done for someone else well thats also fine if thats what they wanted just say its a customers choice. We all look at things and value things differently but thats how the world is. If you do great work and have happy customers SUPER who wouldnt want it that way. Im also happy to see 11 meters is booming for you as my CB erra was also fun and wide open.

The cobra 2000GTL is a classic and that will never change if one decides to spray paint one bright purple with orange racing stripes fine I ask myself why but ITS NOT MINE so whatever trips the owners trigger so to speak.

I think I realize the real issue here is ones idea of UNHACKED to another persons idea of UNHACKED. I hope this does not cause hate and discontent thats now what we are all about its all an open forum where we can post our indavidual thoughts and opinions. I agree what you do is interesting and hopefully its done neatly when finished. I cant say its what I would do to a nice 2000GTL but had I found one that was already done and neatly for the right price I would buy it a deals a deal.

Welcome to the forum and I imagine there will be alot of 11 meter or 2000GTL operators with tons of questions for you. Hell I may even dig out the 148GTL I have here that someone was in and added things ant the tone for sound is set on low and the switch is used for channels the wiring is a different color so I didnt switch the tone to high setting but want to when I dig it out. Maybe you will know what jumpers I need to switch Ill get a picture of the mess when I get it out. :headbang

It is the way of the radio world. Someone, somewhere will never like or be happy with a mod or the way it is done just as some will be quick to jump on someone that comes up with a new idea or new way do do something. :whistle:

I noticed that the 2 links in loosecannon's post now come back with a 505 error.

rebuttal

Thanks for the reply`s and I do have all the tools except for a scope and dont do extensive repairs on radios so a scope for me is to show the customer that the radio is clean thats it. I have been tuning am radios since I was a kid by ear and I was known for my ear when I did live sound and recording. The meter speaks for it self and the signal generator tells me it is good on the receive and the volt ohm meter tells me the voltages are correct. What matters is the final product and that the customer is happy as I am when I get done. My reputation is the most important thing for me. Most of my customers dont want a quiet radio they want the option to have it loud or quiet so I add a switch for the am only limiter and I never remove the ssb limiting In fact I allways put tr 24 back in radios. If you have seen my video`s you would know that I take the hacked up junk radio`s and make them nice again. I allways ask them what they want and I do what they want I am doing this for a living so I have to make money. There is nothing wrong with that. I have contact cleaner and de oxit and a frequecy counter and a nice volt ohm meter. I do light repairs on 148 s 29`s and uniden`s in general nothing that is over my head I refer them to other shops as to not waste there money. And yes the radio`s are custom built per the customers request. Like I said my testimonial`s speak for them selves. If I was so bad do you think I would have gotten all the great testimonials I dont think so. and belive me it does not bother me anymore what my critics say I just had to respond to this in my own words. I just dont get what is wrong with making money. People can search for themselves on google for the mods they are there but they choose to come to me to get the work done and I am going to charge for it because I am in business to make money so I can eat and have a roof over my head. I tell people all the time hey go to cb tricks or go here or go there the mod is there but they say no I want to send the radio to you to get it done. I do work my butt off and i do buil;d nice quality radios and no one can take that away from me.

www.snakeradiosinc.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.