• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base A99 Height question

Yes I agree. People complaining about something that is actually factually correct can be rather entertaining. :LOL: LOL Just yanking your chain.
If we wanted to get technical, swr claims on this forum are typically just readings from an uncalibrated and relatively cheap vswr meter and will differ from the actual swr.

It would be silly for me to say you should state "my uncalibrated vswr meter reading is 1.5:1" I may however start expressing my uncalibrated vswr meter readings as 3:2. Maybe I shouldn't, someone might have a stroke lol

Do you work in an industry (or know of an industry or situation) that expresses swr as a ratio like "3:2" or something? In CB and ham radio it is always expressed as "x.x:1" so the experienced operators here know right away that it is in fact a ratio. Seriously though, is the "1" in the ratio not always a given when expressing swr?
Look at Recon's post just two before the one of mine, He ends it by referring to a ratio of 2 to 3 (2:3). The ":1" to specify a Standing Wave RATIO should be a given, but when the post says "2 to 3", it's not a given that the poster meant ":1".

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
Look at Recon's post just two before the one of mine, He ends it by referring to a ratio of 2 to 3 (2:3). The ":1" to specify a Standing Wave RATIO should be a given, but when the post says "2 to 3", it's not a given that the poster meant ":1".
Did you honestly believe he meant 0.666:1? I know that you know that isn't possible, nor is there a meter available that would read as a ratio to 3. Was it written as a ratio? nope. You are likely just being stubborn and nitpicky. That is ok, just don't be surprised if someone calls you on it.

If you genuinely thought the "2 to 3" was an swr ratio and not a range of 2:1 to 3:1, we've all had our moments of misunderstanding some ones writings on the internet. It happens.

Well today I got the antenna raised. I’m actually hearing a lot more activity which is great. Frustrating part is I still couldn’t reach back to 95% of what I heard. Two contacts I made were both about 9 air miles away. Do I turn to more power now or is there more I can do to my antenna?

680622B5-B898-44E6-B4A4-AC9F58B50CA3.jpeg
A picture of the after. Added the ground plane kit while it was down. Great day to do it since it is 100 degrees .

Reactions: S&W357
A picture of the after. Added the ground plane kit while it was down. Great day to do it since it is 100 degrees .
Where did you get that ground plane kit ? A99 radials are usually 4. See picture. I am just curious.

Attachments

• D547AB32-F260-4CA9-88E8-9AD42CB6010E.jpeg
    D547AB32-F260-4CA9-88E8-9AD42CB6010E.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 7
It a GRK-8. I got it off of copperelectronics.com
The regular kit, the downward longer radials would get into my roof.
Hello Joe 610, can you talk a little about the hub fitting an A99?

How much did it cost including the radials you used, or did they come with the hub?

Marconi - Grampa on the radio...TC-39zero from Houston

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Hello Joe 610, can you talk a little about the hub fitting an A99?

How much did it cost including the radials you used, or did they come with the hub?

Marconi - Grampa on the radio...TC-39zero from Houston
The hub fit great. Slid right on with no play. The radials came with the hub. 8 2 foot long. $25.00 for the kit

Had one (4x6ft radial version) given to me years back. I installed it... saw no differences with antenna at 40 ft. Since I paid nothing for it, I gave it away to a buddy who said he wasn't sure if it helped or not. I have talked to folks that swear they work... I kinda feel they're a gimmick..

Reactions: Greg T
Had one (4x6ft radial version) given to me years back. I installed it... saw no differences with antenna at 40 ft. Since I paid nothing for it, I gave it away to a buddy who said he wasn't sure if it helped or not. I have talked to folks that swear they work... I kinda feel they're a gimmick..

Many years ago, before the internet blew up, I was forced into an A99 when the wind took my Starduster down. I hated that POS from the day I erected it. Noisy, dirty, knocking out neighbors' phones and TV, etc. So I decided to try the GP kit. Well, just as noisy, didn't stop the dirt, didn't transmit any further and the DX was worse. After a year, I ended up tossing it and put up a mobile whip and fabricated 4 copper wire radials held up with nylon rope. It out talked and heard WAY better than the A99 and most of the noise was gone. Best of all, most of the neighbors' landlines came back and I only had to deal a little TVI. Which I did, promptly. I really don't know how this flyrod became so popular and revered in the CB world, when nearly ANY other antenna is better. Makes no sense to me. Someone was a marketing genius.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated