• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99 mount

Mudduckmobile

Oct 5, 2015
S.W. Washington Coast
So we moved. We are on the coast in S.W. Washington now and I do not want to put up my 2016 5/8 antenna so out comes the old A99.
I am 30ft bellow sea level, and 1/8 mile from the ocean to my west, and about 1/2 of that to the Bay.
We have big winds here and can't put guy lines up. I do have an 26ft above ground 6x6 that I can strap my push up mast to the coax feed point will be 32-34ft off the ground....so a few feet above sea level.
1. Do you all think I should try the GP kit on this (I have it) or not?
2. I was thinking about putting the GP kit on Upside down to see if that does anything...
3. Or not
4. Will also put up a Dipole under the A99 E/W
Any input?
Thank you.

So we moved. We are on the coast in S.W. Washington now and I do not want to put up my 2016 5/8 antenna so out comes the old A99.
I am 30ft bellow sea level, and 1/8 mile from the ocean to my west, and about 1/2 of that to the Bay.
We have big winds here and can't put guy lines up. I do have an 26ft above ground 6x6 that I can strap my push up mast to the coax feed point will be 32-34ft off the ground....so a few feet above sea level.
2. I was thinking about putting the GP kit on Upside down to see if that does anything...
3. Or not
Any input?
Thank you.
H.F. (all of it including 10/11 Meters is a compromise, always has been and always will be. Experiment, do it and try it for a few days/weeks, try to improve it. You will get tons of 'advice", and most of it bad. Experiment and compromise those are the operative words here. I remember once putting an inverted vee fed with ladder line upside down, it worked gang busters................

If you put the GP kit on and notice a difference, then you had a problem to begin with. Adding the GPK is one way to fix said problems, but not the only way. The GPK, in and of itself, doesn't increase the performance potential of the antenna. Some people call it snake oil, but that isn't necessarily true either. It does some things fairly well, such as minimize common mode currents on the mast/feed line.

3. Or not

This would be counter productive. If the antenna were longer, it might have some slight benefit, but in this case upward pointing radials will not help any, and will actually hurt to some extent.

Many people do this and switch between the two antennas. It isn't uncommon that when a signal fades out of an antenna of one polarization that it fades in on an antenna of the other.

The DB

If you put the GP kit on and notice a difference, then you had a problem to begin with. Adding the GPK is one way to fix said problems, but not the only way. The GPK, in and of itself, doesn't increase the performance potential of the antenna. Some people call it snake oil, but that isn't necessarily true either. It does some things fairly well, such as minimize common mode currents on the mast/feed line.

This would be counter productive. If the antenna were longer, it might have some slight benefit, but in this case upward pointing radials will not help any, and will actually hurt to some extent.

Many people do this and switch between the two antennas. It isn't uncommon that when a signal fades out of an antenna of one polarization that it fades in on an antenna of the other.

The DB
Yes, I am with you on all points.
I will try a few things, just to see... But when done it will be the A99 as high as I can get it. no GP kit and the Dipole on the underside, with the switch box on the desk.

The DB
I have done this with my starduster and a dipole with two radios on the same channel. The signal will fade from one radio to the other and then back again.

Reactions: Mudduckmobile
Well I have been lazzzzzy.....
Yes I have been here but just dickered....:whistle:
So the A-99 is up.
Yes there is a street light next to it but I can turn it on and off at my power box. On I see and here nothing from it. Off the same.
So I'm 34 ft. to the feed point, and I am at sea level. ....
So far every day @ 75w on lb I talk to my north about 30 miles as the crow flys, and about 45 miles to the south. I have the ocean to my west 1/8 mile, and 1/2 mile to the bay.
A bit of DX has been coming from British Columbia, Saskatchewan Alberta idaho, montana, Northern California Central California, Central Arizona, Northern Nevada, Southern Idaho, for me sporadically, for the last 3 weeks although today is the first good day in the last two.

Well I've been very lazy finally I've got the pics of the new a 99 set up at the base about an eighth of a mile from the ocean to the West in about a half a mile to the Bay at the East been having pretty good quote on quote local DX lately about a hundred and thirty miles to the north only about 40 to the South DX in general hasn't been good for the last two days but today is doing fairly well been getting a lot of Alberta Saskatchewan and British Columbia along with Northern California Central California Idaho Montana and Arizona lately.Oh 43 ft. To the feed point as well.
20180902_164244.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?