• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AB1 Amplifier & Class C Amplifier Sideband comparison

B

BOOTY MONSTER

quoted from the video discription .

"There is always a lot of discussion regarding the differences between the classes on the transistor
amplifiers and how clean a signal will sound.

In this video we are recording from the base station and are transmitting from the mobile 5 miles away
using a General Longstreet Export radio into both an older Palomar 250 AB1 amplifier and a Xforce Midnight
Special 250 amplifier. "

YouTube - AB1 Amplifier & Class C Amplifier Sideband comparison

there is definately a difference .

Thar was a pretty decent demonstartion. Thanks!

Now - which one would you want? An amp for SSB or for AM?
Isn't that really the question? If one wanted the amp for merely AM, then the XForce would -of course- win hands down.

But if you talked mostly on SSB; then the XForce might sound a bit too overmodulated - and therefore less clear. CB'ers have become far more technical these days, so making your system more 'hifi' is becoming the rule than the exception...
IMO

Besides, do CB'ers really have true AB1 class amps? Not according to some techs. I'm helping a guy right now hook up his system with a switch so he can toggle between an class C am and an AB - so he can run one for SSB and the other for AM.

Too much? Well, he has got quite the setup, and Sparky is going to work on his Cobra 2000 very soon. He may publish pics of his station on this site when we finish wiring it all up. His screen name is "Toker Kid" on Sparky's forum, and is a neighbor of mine and he is also a Ham.

I sure as heck would not want a Palomar even if they claimed it was gold plated class AB. It's a palomar. Cool video though Booty, have to try and find a nice Joker with regulated AB or maybe a Bulletproof and do another one.

the audio sounded better with the barefoot radio IMO . the midnight special/xforce to me did not sound overmodulated , it sounded like the frequency was warbling with the modulation .

its funny, the palomar 250 is class c even though they say class AB1 on the front, the parts are usually there for the very crude AB biasing but the ones i have seen are all shorted to deck through a choke on the input transformer,
the palomar 250 in the cbradiomagazine pics is grounded class c so you would not expect much difference in sound,

if you are doing reviews/tests for the internet you should at least understand what you are looking at,
heres another guys review of a tnt 350, some funny shit no doubt,
YouTube - TNT 350HD Amp Review

a fair test would be against the little 225 amp or a kl400 that are biased towards AB,
palomar and cte are both guilty of putting class AB or AB1 on the front of a class C amplifier.

How it sounds on the air doesn't tell the whole story. A lot of ops can't tell the difference, anyway. Put them on a spec analyzer and a scope and let's see. BTW, Bob is right...you gotta open up those amps to take a look at what's really going on. The labels don't tell you anything.

i recall a few comments here and there about AB and AB1 . ive got a 500V and a palomar 225 with the 1446's and filtering .

even though the palomar sounded clearer to me I think both radios sounded like crap, he should of used a better rig for the check.

if you are doing reviews/tests for the internet you should at least understand what you are looking at,
heres another guys review of a tnt 350, some funny shit no doubt

Is that guy in Bob's video clip the same guy that sells those crappy knives on "The knife show" on cable? Is "longetivity" a word? And 250 watt input into a couple of 2sc2879s? I didn't see any input swamping on that amp....

maybe someone will see this thread that has both a class C and a class AB amp and a good clean radio to drive them with and give a shot at recording something for us/youtube to have a different example ?

maybe someone will see this thread that has both a class C and a class AB amp and a good clean radio to drive them with and give a shot at recording something for us/youtube to have a different example ?

I have a couple of class AB amps....no class C stuff otherwise I would do it. I could put them on the scope, too...no spec analyzer, though.

Yeah I'll have to do one with my mack4orce 2/2sc2879 with the bob85 AB bias which is switchable to class-c also from a RCI-2950 to the Kenwood ts-430.

That would be mobile to base.

Is that guy in Bob's video clip the same guy that sells those crappy knives on "The knife show" on cable? Is "longetivity" a word? And 250 watt input into a couple of 2sc2879s? I didn't see any input swamping on that amp....

its from here ... Reviews and Our Work

i joined there a lil while back , but had them delete me from their members list .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.