• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AB1 Amplifier & Class C Amplifier Sideband comparison

definately a difference . glad i listened to the pork butts and spent my money on class AB . :)

thanks mack ;)

I would wonder if the receiving station was at its "audio" limit (the speaker and its associated circuitry), and it had nothing to do with the actual quality of the RX signal. It sounded almost like the speaker was being pushed into distortion. I agree with Mack43, neither radio sounded that good.

Isn't a longstreet a little much for a 2-pill box to begin with? I thought they were a dual final radio?

And I am referring to the original vid, not Mack43s...

Wow that was intresting. I guess you need to choose your words when using a C box with a cap on the relay...:D

Thanks for taking the time to do the test mack.

Wow that was intresting. I guess you need to choose your words when using a C box with a cap on the relay...:D

Thanks for taking the time to do the test mack.
Glad to do it and I have to admit my radio was off freq just a tad but I can blame it on my sons ear as he tuned the reciever and controlled the recording on and off.

The 430 kenwood only has a stock filter and is narrow as hell.

Both radios?

Hey Mack, same radio different amplifiers. The test may have been a cheat. Notice that the "AB1" amp was narrated as sideband. Were all the tests on sideband? Clearly "C" is not for side band by nature. We need a new test, same equipment. Comparison fixed on AM, comparison fixed on SSB. Then we will know. The difference in the test produced very clear audio on SSb with an AB1 amp, and lesser quality on the other amp, but conditions unknown. If we take the test as SSB all equal, then the AB1 had superior modulation, hello, modulation! (y)

Hey Mack, same radio different amplifiers. The test may have been a cheat. Notice that the "AB1" amp was narrated as sideband. Were all the tests on sideband? Clearly "C" is not for side band by nature. We need a new test, same equipment. Comparison fixed on AM, comparison fixed on SSB. Then we will know. The difference in the test produced very clear audio on SSb with an AB1 amp, and lesser quality on the other amp, but conditions unknown. If we take the test as SSB all equal, then the AB1 had superior modulation, hello, modulation! (y)

You know Booty is on a crusade to educate everyone about the evils of class c amps.
The test done would be like comparing a top fuel dragster to a Sprint Cup car in the quarter mile........the top fuel car is way better but the sprint cup car is way better in the turns.
Booty is just ranting about his disdain for class c once again, he is bored.

hello psycho , i see youre still cheerleading the class C banner . i have to admit , you were very instrumental in my choosing of equipment when i first came around here . once i saw how much folks here respect your opinions , i knew then that if you didnt like something it was probally the better way to do things .
thanks for providing such a fine example of what not to do . :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Class "C" amps are not suited for AM, let alone SSB. They are not linear enough to properly amplify the signal. They are intended for FM and CW.
Rich

Although not considered the best option for SSB, that comparison shows a class C will indeed work on SSB. I was actually under the impression that a class C on SSB would be a whole lot worse, in fact I was under the impression it wouldn't work at all. If I only had, or could afford, a class C amplifier; I would not be concerned about using it occasionally on SSB.

And to be quite honest, only someone with a base that could fine tune that signal in, for an hour long conversation, would ever really know (or really care)...most of our DX contacts are for under a minute, then we move onto the next one. I wouldn't be able to tell if that was a class C or not...I would have assumed it to be a poorly tuned radio or the conditions at that time, which brings me to my next point.

Garbage in is garbage out...I would like to know how that Longstreet was modified, if at all. A clipped radio, overmodulating, would likely cause more issues and heartburn at the receiving end than that Class C amp.

For the record, I run two SSB setups; the radios are tuned by a competent technician into AB-1 amplifiers. So I really don't have a dog in this fight.

Class "C" amps are not suited for AM, let alone SSB. They are not linear enough to properly amplify the signal. They are intended for FM and CW.
Rich

Class C amps aren't suitable for AM??????? Here we go again. :rolleyes:
Someone better break the news to Joe at Davemade.

Last edited:
A class C amplifier can work on AM or SSB if it's operated in the linear portion of it's amplification curve. That doesn't mean it will work -well-, just that it will work. Why is a class C amplifier touted as the 'end all' for AM amplifiers? Cuz you can see more power output than for other classes of amplifiers. You don't have to know just a tad bit more to figure the biasing needed for proper operation. And because they've been around dang near forever so have become a sort of 'standard' for CB amplifiers. If it's 'older' it's gotta be better, right? Yeah, right. You've got your choice, big watts or good quality signal. You decide, then live with it.
- 'Doc

A class C amplifier can work on AM or SSB if it's operated in the linear portion of it's amplification curve. That doesn't mean it will work -well-, just that it will work. Why is a class C amplifier touted as the 'end all' for AM amplifiers? Cuz you can see more power output than for other classes of amplifiers. You don't have to know just a tad bit more to figure the biasing needed for proper operation. And because they've been around dang near forever so have become a sort of 'standard' for CB amplifiers. If it's 'older' it's gotta be better, right? Yeah, right. You've got your choice, big watts or good quality signal. You decide, then live with it.
- 'Doc
Thaaaaat's It!!!
(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.