• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base ABR Industries RG213: i think I want my money back

What do you think?

• Total voters
Well, we all try to buy MADE IN USA, whenever possible I believe. I recently had an issue with replacing my old, 20 year old or so, GE profile dishwasher. It had been an outstanding washer, hence I bought a GE replacement dishwasher based on the standard set by the older GE one. Now the GE is made in America, somewhere in the South. Well, the replacement was a piece of junk, and it wasn't the contractors grade low dollar model. I wasn't able to finish the install as the workmanship as far as fit and finish was terrible. Not up to GE standards in my book. Welds were poor, trim pieces were not able to be put on because of the separation of the cabinet edges. I had to take it back. GE isn't exactly an American company any more I guess, and their quality in my opinion has suffered even though it was put together in the USA. Evidently standards are set low at GE USA, at least in the QC department.

I did however buy from another American company, Whirlpool. Made in USA and the install was a breeze. No surprises, and it works well, and was a comparable model to the GE. I wasn't the only one that encountered this after reading reviews.

I say this not to change the subject, but just to say in a lot of cases the Made In USA doesn't pass muster. I truly wish it was. I mean, I spent $300 on a toaster rather than buy a Chinese made model. Now the $300 toaster is fully repairable should it stop working which is a plus as well, but it was made in England. There are just some things that aren't made in the USA any more.

It was great to see that Chuck in the ABR camp saw this thread and responded positively. That at least shows a concern that some companies might ignore, and that is very hopeful. Hats off to ABR.

Not surprising, when you cut corners and put out a poor product, sales and public support will follow.

I've owned a lot of GE appliances, and other GE products thoughout my lifetime. Never again, I can't forgive and forget too easily especially living in a rural area and having to drive long distances to return expensive junk.

I think FEIT was still making bulbs, they used to be in the USA too, but I don't think any of the LED products we are forced to buy are made in the USA.

Don't want to get into politics, but I think we've been sold out.

Reactions: undertaker
"Much like GE's sale of its appliance division to China's Haier in 2016"

GE has a history of screwing the American public, I remember the then CEO moving the GE Motor/Generator division to China 25-30 years ago (30,000++ US Jobs).
There was a big story on 60 minutes shortly after and he was asked about the ordeal.
Paraphrased: "I am CEO, I am here to make money for myself and the stockholders. American workers are too expensive, I can work the new location workers anytime I like.
Pay zero overtime, and I am not hampered by overregulation"
The dismantle still continues to this day.

I don't buy anything with GE's name on the label...90% comes from the other side of the Pacific.
ENUF said
All the best
Gary

GE isn't exactly an American company any more I guess

The local GE major-appliance factory is officially called "Appliance Park". Employed 22,000 in three shifts a couple of generations ago.

But GE will sell its name in a heartbeat when it exits a particular business niche. GE major appliances, and the facilities making them now belong to a chinese company named "Haier", if I have it spelled right. Pronounced "Higher".

But that's what I was taught as a youngster. GE will stay with a product or business so long as they remain the top one or two suppliers in that market. And when they slip below that level, that division gets sold off with the name attached.

They have been around 129 years. Apparently knowing what businesses to get out of, and when, are important in the long run.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.