• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AC power jack for base cb.

dxing.bruce

Apr 15, 2012
Hey: guys.

I scored a nice older cb base radio. It's a Citizen SSB-M6 40 channel AM/SSB base cb. It was bulit by Cybernet & has the PLL02A chip.

I need a new AC power jack as the one on the cb is cracked. I've looked everywhere local & on the net & can't find one.

Does anyone know where I may find one of these AC power jacks.

They were also used on some Colt base stations like the Black Shadow.
The RCA 14T303. The Robyn SB-520D & others but I can't find the jack anywhere.

I will upload pics of a radio with the type of jack I'm taking about.

It's 2 pins with a built in switch that disconnects the DC
power jack when the AC cord would be plugged into the radio.

Thanks in advance gang.

Bruce.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

I am unsure what “model” this plug is or was as far as ID numbers etc. But, I am fairly certain that a 23ch Pace base station I gave away a few years back had an identical plug. Just something to keep in mind if f you ever hit the swap meets.

Reactions: dxing.bruce
Not sure what the pin to pin distance on that is, but I think that is either a C7 or C8 male plug. Check ebay:

Not sure what the pin to pin distance on that is, but I think that is either a C7 or C8 male plug. Check ebay:

Ya this one has a bulit in switch to disconnect the dc power jack when the AC cord is plugged into the radio. They use this same type of jack on lots of portable stereos / getto blasters to disconnect the batteries when the ac cord is plugged in. So I might have to search around pawn shops for a cheap used portable stereo & get a pert from that. I'm actually surprised they are not still available as they were used in quite a few different base cb radios.

Reactions: brandon7861
For decades we bought the cord to fit that jack from MCM Electronics. They got bought, and no longer sell it.

Unless you are in love with restoring the radio to historic accuracy, I would get a hardware-store replacement and route the new AC cord directly into the radio through a grommet, and add a toggle switch to the rear panel to select AC or DC power. The switch contacts built into the old socket are already wired to do that.

Any reason to not wire up a 3 prong grounded cord to it? Could use a standard IEC socket and then you can use any computer/monitor power cord.

...and add that AC/DC switch.

Any reason to not wire up a 3 prong grounded cord to it? Could use a standard IEC socket and then you can use any computer/monitor power cord.

...and add that AC/DC switch.
Yes I could use a different type plug but the OEM one has the built in switch so if you take the radio mobile or use it on an external power supply via the 13.8v plug on the radio, the internal switch disconnects the 13.8v one while the 120v source in applied.

Although not particularly applicable here, this discussion reminds me of how uninterruptible power supplies work for computers. Anyone ever wonder how they can switch from AC power to battery so fast that the computer never loses power? There is a battery bank, an inverter, and an AC to DC converter. During AC operation while the mains power is on, the AC doesn't run the computer, the AC is converted to DC and the DC runs the inverter and the inverter runs the computer. In this way, all one needs to do is put a diode between the battery and inverter. When the AC to DC converter is working, it's voltage holds the cathode of the diode at about the same voltage as the anode at the battery which prevents it from being forward biased (thus isolating the battery from the circuit while AC power is being used). Once the mains power fails, the AC to DC converter output drops and the diode forward biases and the battery picks up where the converter left off.

It's too bad radio manufacturers didn't design the radios to run on .6v less as a diode would handle the AC/DC switching just as mentioned above and entirely eliminate the need for mechanical switches! I know.... with these low voltage finals, every fraction of a volt counts :) lol and I know, battery voltage fluctuates... Just an interesting topic this conversation reminded me of.... Sorry for the interruption!

But if one wanted to add a relay................... (I like nomads toggle switch idea, it's just plain simple)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.