• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AES Closing down operation

BJ radionut

Supporting Member and 6m addict
May 9, 2008
35 miles East of Indianapolis
Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) has announced that it is ceasing operations as of the end of July, 2016.

The Milwaukee-based retailer has four locations around the country, including Milwaukee; Cleveland (Wickliffe), Ohio; Las Vegas, Nevada and Orlando, Florida. It has long been the nation's second-largest ham radio dealer, after Ham Radio Outlet. No reason was given for the decision to close the business.

CQ Newsroom at 9:58 AM

Shown on multiple sources across the web...Goodbye to another supplier.
Closeouts and discounts??? ...or did they sell inventory to someone else?
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

that sucks, I made many purchases from them, so nice having them close, next day delivery, and never a question with warranty items they would ship another item out right away

Web based business is the way of the future for many businesses. Less cost on store fronts, sales labour etc.

Yes, but HRO's "shack in the store" is what helped me make my decision on my HF rig. I hate to see that going away.

Brett

Reactions: binrat
Really, I never had problems with giga, are you sure they had the item in stock? You have to check the avalibity icons on the website.

I've found Universal Radio to be slow. Took over a week to get my Kaito 1103!

i bought all my ham gear from gigaparts. possibly it got lost. or something. i always get my stuff 1-3 days. shocked at this.

Reactions: W2EKG
I used AES quite a bit, with DX Engineering being my second most used. I have not used HRO since they opened a store here in Texas...if you are going to order on line and all ship quickly.... why pay sales tax by ordering from someone who has a store front in your state? We have a decent ham store in our area and I mostly only order what they do not have.

I used AES quite a bit, with DX Engineering being my second most used. I have not used HRO since they opened a store here in Texas...if you are going to order on line and all ship quickly.... why pay sales tax by ordering from someone who has a store front in your state? We have a decent ham store in our area and I mostly only order what they do not have.
Same here... I bought my Yaesu FTdx-3000 from the Atlanta store, shortly before they announced the new store in Plano. I do like to go to MTC when I go through Paris, though. Really nice people, and I like to support small business when I can.

Brett

For years AES was the standard for pricing of gear since their catalogs arrived for about a year after getting a license or upgrading or just even changing one's address. While I looked through their catalogs a lot I never ordered that much from them as it seemed that I gravitated to buying local when I could even with paying sales tax. I think that DXE put the final nails in their coffin. RIP, AES.

...possibly it got lost. or something. ...

Yeah, it got lost, somewhere between the sales dept and the shipping dept.

they (sales) said the never got the order, that went on for a week,.... then my bank informed them that they received the funds the day it was purchased, all of a sudden they "found" the order.

I understand that sometimes, "things" get lost, but,............... the sales staff acted like it was somehow my fault that THEY lost the order, not a "sorry" or anything from them, and NO, I am not the only person that has had issues with their shipping dept.

NEVER again!

BTW, I just ordered an item from AES today,( a Keyer) regular price, not a "going out of business" price.
$194.50 shipped,........ all the other chain stores were $30.00 higher

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.