• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ahhh, what to build, what to build?

Whiplash-265

Aug 14, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Just passed Basic/Honours (Canadian standards=full range with 250w)

Presently i run an a99...Internal tuner of Yaesu FT-950 seems to tune fine 18Mhz thru 30Mhz
Looking to build 2 beams (LFA)...one for 6m, and one other but not sure which freq. range i should aim for that will hopefully give me coverage over the full range (1.8 thru 30...serious doubts in the 50 being able to drop to 28) utilizing either the internal tuner or even an external if need be.

What say ye?
Suggestions for a broad-range auto-tuner would also be appreciated. Have seen a couple that can be controlled by the Yaesu but 100w limit?

Thanx all

I am intrigued by 'log periodic beam antennas'.
Woof!

erick@the net - Log Periodic Antenna Design

Loops will also work many bands effectively:

Loop Antennas and Calculator by dxzone.com

I don't like log periodics at all. Sure wideband coverage but at the expense of gain and sheer size. A typical three element monobander or most tribanders will have more gain than a log with a dozen elements and since I don't operate BETWEEN the ham bands I do not need continuous coverage.

Whiplash I suggest you study a bit about antennas and how they operate and do not consider trying to build a band specific antenna and then try and operate in on other bands far removed from it's design frequency. Building a 6m beam is a great idea but forget about trying to use it on 10m. Any good tuner will provide a low SWR but it won't make the antenna any better. It will still be an extremely poor performer on 10m. No one antenna will perform great on all bands, it just does not happen that way however a very good antenna is a simple dipole cut for 80m and fed with open wire or ladder line and a good tuner. This will allow all band operation and will have some gain on the higher bands and will perform much better than trhe typical G5RV antenna. It is what I am using right now until the spring when I can install my yagis on the new tower I put up last fall just in time to be shut out by bad weather.

Reactions: 2 people
I was going to suggest a fan dipole until spring as well.
A couple of years ago I bought a used Alpha Delta DXCC dipole for the wire. Just for giggles I put it up and quickly tuned it and its been up ever since. I also have a 10/11 metre 1/2 wave vertical and a tribander 3 element yagi which needs work in the sky as well.

Edit to add: Very nice, now start studying for the advanced, I found it to be easy as well.

Last edited:
As always CK, appreciate and value your input. I want to do the 6m due to it's small footprint (as per my other thread you replied to), was hoping others with more knowledge would confirm my suspicions that regardless of a 50ohm match that an antenna built for one range of frequencies is just that, designed for one range of frequencies. I was mostly unsure of how severe the degradation in performance would be.
I can probably get away with two beams (plus the vertical, i do plan on maintaining my local "pirate" contacts) and no more before the (extremely nosy, small-town) neighbours start looking at me funny and potentially start stirring up some shyt. It appears I'm the only one in town that is a Ham so any mass array will stand out. Im also on the main drag.

I like the dipole idea (I tried an attic dipole a couple of months ago for 11m), but the measurement of wire req'd for 80m is definitely out of the equation. Even a 40m inverted V is unrealistic for my little plot of land.

Will investigate further options.

As always, thanks for the input.

I was going to suggest a fan dipole until spring as well.
A couple of years ago I bought a used Alpha Delta DXCC dipole for the wire. Just for giggles I put it up and quickly tuned it and its been up ever since. I also have a 10/11 metre 1/2 wave vertical and a tribander 3 element yagi which needs work in the sky as well.

Edit to add: Very nice, now start studying for the advanced, I found it to be easy as well.

was tough enough getting the basic/H binrat...math, q's, phonetics and reg's np, but damn the electrical was a bugger. I'm the type that has to see that kind of thing to get it, and the book just didn't give me that.
The a99 gives me decent "tuned" bandwidth from 14-30, but again, it's a false performer. 24-30 it's passable :) I like the gain of the beams.

Greetings!

The loop fed with ladder line and a good tuner is a good suggestion. I used to have a 40m loop suspended from three trees at my previous QTH. It worked great. I did have trouble with it loading up on 80m until I discovered that I could short out the ladder line to one side of the balun and attach the other side to a counter poise and turn it into a vertical with the loop portion acting as a "cap hat" to use it on 80&160m.

We need a little more information on what kind of space you have to work with and how you intend to elevate said antenna.

You also could do a dipole/ladder line configuration as well.

You touched on looking into a beam.

If space is an issue I would suggest a broad band HEX Beam. That could get you on 20-6m with one feed line and no tuner.

Just some food for thought.

Hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters too much.

Wayne C.

I have one semi-usable tree, a maple I'd actually love to cut down before it falls down lol. Not sure how long it will last, quite a bit of dead wood still hanging on.
Neighbours within 60' all across the rear covering +/- 240°. Older crowd so although cable IS in the area tvi could still be an issue :)

Had a look at the KIO Hex Wayne and it actually looks like a very plausible option for 20 thru 6. Looks like it shouldn't stand out any more than a beam would, if even as much as a beam. Has directional gain. Appreciate the pointing in it's direction :)
No waters muddied, i love options and really love hearing what experiences others have had that i might adapt to my needs!!

Marty

Greetings!
I used to have a 40m loop suspended from three trees at my previous QTH. It worked great. I did have trouble with it loading up on 80m until I discovered that I could short out the ladder line to one side of the balun and attach the other side to a counter poise and turn it into a vertical with the loop portion acting as a "cap hat" to use it on 80&160m.

Wayne C.

Or you could add 2 vacuum relays 180 degrees from the feed point and open it up, (open a 6"-12" chunk) into a 1/2 wave HALO for 80m and get some real good performance on 80m at a reasonably low TOA.

Whiplash, here's what I'd recommend for your build, CobWebb multiband antenna by dxzone.com - and if you extended out the spreaders you could add 40m and even 80m.

And there is a lot more on the web about building the cobwebb, just google it.

Diagram.jpg

Thanx for the input Needle Bender...another very interesting option.

Cheers!!

While I'm here i'll also add i'm mounting on a 40' +mast Delhi GN "antenna support structure" with a Yaesu G-1000DXA rotor (rotator). Prior to it's install I brought it to the towns attention (if permit was needed) and they said no providing it wasn't freestanding. Also told them it's planned usage and height (told them perhaps 60') and still no weird look lol, Opted for 40' due to maximum bracing height.

Again, thanks much everyone. 'tis appreciated

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.