• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AL1200 RECAP: Any opinions on ohmite wirewound resistors for HV bleeders?

I'm doing some spring cleaning and inspection on the al1200 and the ohmites white lettering is wiping off on the most of the inner resistors....the others are ok mostly.
Does that mean anything like they are getting too hot?

DSC01614.JPG
DSC01613.JPG
DSC01612.JPG
DSC01611.JPG

Also the board seems a bit saturated with something? It wasnt there in Nov 2022 when I put the new caps in.
I think its just rosin from the solder

DSC0u613.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: techradioman
They are designed to get hot. That's the point of using a ceramic body. Power resistor design is a tradeoff between how hot its materials can be allowed to run, balanced against the physical size. The more surface area, the less temperature rise. The printed ID stuff will flake off eventually. A fanatic would change the bleeders to a higher resistance value and reduce the heat that way.

That kind of resistor almost never fails without first being massively overloaded. The steady heat from this service should not be a problem.

Just remember the rule of the shade-tree. If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.