• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AL1200 RECAP: Any opinions on ohmite wirewound resistors for HV bleeders?

Walkin' the dog
Sep 12, 2009
Chilliwack, BC
www.youtube.com
I'm recapping my AL1200 and I checked the resistors and they are all 49.xx Kohms and within .5 of an ohm. 2 look like they got a bit hot as the lettering is faded.
I planned on replacing them and since they are wirewound, I got new wirewounds but 10w instead of 7w

I was just wondering before I pull the trigger, does anyone have any bad experiene with ohmite? these are 20J50KE "E" standing for ROHS compliance.
Do you think I'll be ok with these?

thanks

IMG_2772.JPG
IMG_2773.JPG
IMG_2757.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG
IMG_2756.JPG
IMG_2758.JPG
IMG_2764.JPG

Absolutely nothing wrong with Ohmite. In fact, Ohmite is/was pretty much the industry standard. All the broadcast transmitters I worked on had Ohmite 100K 100 watt wire wound bleeder resistors in the HV power supply section. Globar is another quality name in high power resistors but I have seen them used more in high power dummy loads than power supplies. Globar makes some really good carborundum resistors that are non-inductive and suitable for loads in the HF spectrum.

Reactions: 357
OK thanks.
The reason I'm asking is I tried to put as much research into the parts I could and many suppliers are bone dry for parts and I seen the price go up on what they did have almost daily.

I couldn't find any data on the "crc" resistors that were in there. I did see lots of images of the RCD 170 series and while it was too late because I already ordered the ohmite, the RCD 170 series mentioned low inductance and a main feature which got me worried. data: https://www.rcdcomponents.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/100-Series-Datasheet_RevI.pdf

So that got me worried that there must be a reason the went for the inductance feature

Wirewound resistors have one advantage in this application. Their resistance value won't drift with age. A series string of caps like this uses the bleeders to equalize the voltage so it's divided evenly across each capacitor. The inductance they show is not relevant. This is a DC circuit and it just won't care.

Back in the day you would see carbon-composition resistors used for this task. Bad juju. They are famous for changing their internal resistance with age and mileage. But they were the lowest-cost option, and designers would use them with the knowledge the warranty would be long expired before they could cause any mischief.

Carbon-film and metal-film resistors are both perfectly suitable, and likewise don't exhibit a drift problem in my experience. And they're a lot easier to find in high resistance values.

But yeah, I would consider the wirewound part the "premium" option, but not really a whole lot better than the carbon/metal film resistors. Just use one that doesn't run too hot. Heat stress makes more difference than the choice of component type alone.

thanks Nomad.
That helps me relax a bit. I am seeing 105C off these resistors with normal use (the ones to the back the fronts are getting more airflow).
Hopefully thats normal. I was hoping 10w would run cool, I guess not

Assuming 400 Volts across each bleeder, this should dump 3.2 Watts in to it. You would think that would keep the temp a bit lower, running at one-third of its rating.

Probably won't hurt anything for the first five or ten years, anyway.

No load plate v is around 3600 right? With 8 caps that's 450v each.
With 50k bleeders you should drop each cap to 6.25v or so for a total of 50v across the bank in about 71 seconds. Each resistor will dissipate 4 watts.
A minute is fine. If you could stand to wait two minutes you could use 100k and they will diss 2w .

changing the resistors to 100K 3 Watt Metal Oxide. This was a very bad idea. They should be 50K 7 Watt wire-wound, HV resistors

I seen that online so I stayed with the 50k
I muffed up mounting them a bit close to the board...thats kinda bugging me but I dont see any signs of heat damage yet.
I guess they bleed voltage but they also equalize the voltage across the caps.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.