• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alignment Tools

KD8HMO

Aug 3, 2008
Kalida, Ohio
www.protrucker.net
Can anyone tell me where to get a decent set of the 2 or 3 tools that are made for adjusting the alignment points on most cb's? The cheap plastic tools that I got from Fair Radio only last for a few uses before the ends get chewed up.

I end up re-shaping the tips when that happens. To keep that from happening in the first place, I'll put a drop or three of WD-40 in the cans if they act sticky or tight.

Last edited:
Hi,
I bought a set from Amazon.

Not sure exactly what I need but will make it work I guess!

They were $8!!!

Attachments

• 31B9B9qigkL.jpg
    31B9B9qigkL.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Robb
For those who go turning the pots and cans w/o the proper gear and full knowledge for the real outcome are called 'golden screwdrivers'.
It is not meant as a compliment.
Tread carefully . . .

Hi,
Well...I bought a Daiwa Power/SWR Meter, A Dummy Load, Alignment Tools,Hook Ups for eveything.

I have gotten help from everyone here (including you!) have been shown vids, and I'm going to go for it!

Probably all I will do is turn the "dead key" down to 2 for the amp, and call it good!

I also have a Cobra 25 Classic, that needs a channel light a cleaning and a "peak and tune"!

I bought the best tools I could afford might as well get an education and use them!

I see a CB Radio recap in the future also maybe???

Last edited:
Always double check your work.

Sometimes turning the radio down to 2w is still too much. I'd recommend that you see 1/4 total rated amp power at dead key. SO; tune the radio's dead key accordingly . . .

Last edited:
Hi,
So Robb, if I understand....

If I dead key on AM and the power is 8W then I lower to 2W.

If I dead key and power is 6W then I lower to 1.5?

There seems to be a "little" thought difference on this subject?

222 was sayin if you go to far down that's not good either?

Would you up the modulation while in there?

what Robb is saying is that you connect your radio to your amp, key it up with a wattmeter between the antenna and the amp, say "ahhhh" into the mic at a normal talking level, and make a note of the modulated power level.

then you divide that number by 4, and lower your radio's deadkey until the amp keys that much deadkey.
LC

Reactions: Robb
Hi,
Thanks!

I was thinking just use the radio with a dummy load, but....

I guess if you do it with the amp and actual antenna it might be more accurate?

What about modulation?

seagiant, the reason you can't find a "decent" set of alignment tools is because you don't yet know what to expect from them.

alignment tools are made purposely to fail. well, let me put that a different way; if your alignment tool and a tuning can are going to get in a fight, you want the tuning can to win the fight.
does that make sense?

you can always buy or whittle a new alignment tool head, but the tuning cans in many radios have not been made in decades, and you can't just replace the ferrite core from another can and hope it will work.

you say you want to get started working on CB radios, which is great!

however, i would like to make a comparison that might give you some perspective on your endeavor. When people watch a movie they often think that they could be an actor when the truth is that it takes INTENSE training, and even with that training, not everyone is going to be good at it.

When it comes to CB radio repair, there are so many resources out there to read and how-to style videos to watch that it can seem like it's easy and anyone can do it.

the truth is that there is A LOT of studying to do, and it's not on the fun stuff like RF amplifiers and PLL chips. You have to learn how electronics work if you want to have any success at this. You have to do a lot of reading on theory and you have to learn the physics behind the electronic component.
learning about inductance still makes my head spin!!!

Too often we see a mod posted in Secret CB and it looks easy enough. What they don't tell you is that those books were never meant to be read by anyone but CB technicians. those books assume that you know what you are doing, have all the test equipment, and just want a little shortcut or hint to get you started.

they don't tell you what to do if the mod goes wrong, and this forum is FULL of threads where people are desperately trying to return their radios to stock form because "someone" messed their radio up.

Im putting this all here not because i think Seagiant needs to hear it, but because many others will find this thread and have a similar intent.

By all means, work on your own equipment. hey, its yours you can do what you want.

just know that those of us who know that we will eventually run out of a lot of the parts that are in the classic CB radios tend to cringe when we hear that someone wants to "learn about radios" on their classic 2000GTL.

To be honest, i think it's the price of shipping these days that makes a lot of people decide to fix their own radios.
respect to all.
LC

just saw your question.

yes, use the dummy load to do any work on your radio and amp.

when you go to use the antenna, the number shouldn't change much.
if they do, you have an antenna problem.

not sure what you are asking about modulation. when i refer to PEP wattage, i mean modulated output power.
LC

The reason for not setting the power below 2 watts on AM on the uniden 980 is that the internal diagnostics will start to have issues. That is the only reason I said to set it at about 2 watts. Best way is to set it up with a 1:4 power ratio as stated, but know that if you go below a 2 watt dead key that you can't rely much at all on the internal diagnostics anymore from what I have experienced and many others have as well with the uniden 980. Nothing more. If you prefer to set it to a proper 1:4 power ratio, meaning if the amp does 100 watts pep with the power on, you need to set the carrier of the amp on AM to about 25 watts. This will give you a good 1:4 power ratio. 25 watts x 4 equals 100 watts and so on. That is what others are telling you seagiant. Again, apologies if I mislead anyone or confused anyone. Not my intention. That is why I also said if you aren't comfortable or don't know what you're doing to send the radio to a qualified tech that does. Hope it all works out for you seagiant. Read and read some more before you just start plugging around though as others have said, you can really make a mess of a radio if you don't know what is going on. Not to discourage you in any way, just a reminder or note to self. Be careful and take your time. Good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.