• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alinco DX-77e Trouble

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I picked up an Alinco DX-77e. It has full output in all modes and bands and audio reports are good. The only thing that I have noticed is an issue on LSB. When I select LSB, it sounds like it loses a little sensitivity and the S meter climbs to 3 S units.

Any thoughts? I might invest in an alignment, or an hour bench time poking around, but not much more than that. I have $150 invested. Shame, it's in near mint condition with just a little scuff on the side case.

Sounds like a carrier point adjustment ..Or your crystal filter has drifted out of spec..

The frequency of the radio's receive carrier for SSB is supposed to be just outside the passband of the receiver's crystal filter. If the crystal's frequency drifts so that it can now pass through the passband, the receiver treats this as if it were a signal coming from the antenna. This can drive up the S-meter, and exaggerate the bass tones in the receiver audio.

If the LSB 'carrier point' setting proves to be correct, this suggets that the receiver's crystal filter has become "wide", and is not rejecting the receiver's carrier like it should.

Without checking the frequency of the LSB carrier crystal, it's a coin toss as to which failure you're seeing.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.