• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Allow Me To Introduce Myself

crappykraco

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 6, 2014
Hello all...

I'm in Maine and have a few old radios I'm digging out of the closet, as well as an antenna that was given to me years ago.

Pardon my level of complete ignorance, and please take it easy on me. I'm just getting my feet wet.

I've got a uniden 68, an old kraco ssb deluxe, a Uniden Washington base, and a Cobra 148GTL that i picked up used. I have a cheap fiberglass mag mount on the truck, and this thing to put up at home...

It was given to me years ago along with the kraco ssb radio. I've never had it up, but plan on doing so. How do I determine what length the radials are supposed to be? Some are clamped in place but some aren't.
My other question is regarding proper grounding. Can I use the ground rod below the service panel for my home?

Attachments

• 20140806_202303[2].jpg
    20140806_202303[2].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37

yeah,... I'm thinking it's an AR-10 too

yes, ALL elect grounds should be tied together at one point so they are all at the same potential

Reactions: GnG8d
Welcome , an yes you do have a few nice radio's in the mix , I would get some fine steel wool an give that antenna a good cleaning for you install it . JMO

yeah,... I'm thinking it's an AR-10 too

yes, ALL elect grounds should be tied together at one point so they are all at the same potential

OK. If I want to mount the antenna on the other side of the house, what is the most practical way to tie these grounds together... They would be 50 feet apart.

20140809_125716[1].jpg

20140809_125843[1].jpg

I'm hoping one of you may be able to help me figure out what is going on inside the Kraco SSB deluxe. There are jumpers going to the nb/anl switch and an extra switch just dangling inside. I'm guessing this is for extra channels? This radio is older than I am, and I'd like to have an idea whats been done to it.

gee.. thanks for the help. I'm overwhelmed.

Got the antenna tuned, and have the washington up and running. Made several contacts last night. I was told something sounded wrong with the 148gtl, not sure what it is. Got a similar report talking locally on AM>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.