• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Almost Afraid to undue the screws

Sammitch

Oct 20, 2014
Hello all,
I know you probably can't help without more info. But I haven't been home long enough to have a chance to look at this. It is my Northstar NS-4000, and the other day I started the truck and the channel lights started flickering and then all the lights on the radio started flickering, then went blank and the dreaded smell of smoke. I quickly grabbed it and unplugged the power cord.
Do you even think it is worth taking the case apart too look inside? Like I said, I have not had time yet. Any guesses as to what I will find or what to look for when I do.

Thanks for any advanced info you could give,
Sammitch

Hello all,
I know you probably can't help without more info. But I haven't been home long enough to have a chance to look at this. It is my Northstar NS-4000, and the other day I started the truck and the channel lights started flickering and then all the lights on the radio started flickering, then went blank and the dreaded smell of smoke. I quickly grabbed it and unplugged the power cord.
Do you even think it is worth taking the case apart too look inside? Like I said, I have not had time yet. Any guesses as to what I will find or what to look for when I do.

Thanks for any advanced info you could give,
Sammitch
I would at least take a look.

Hopefully the protective diode did it's job! As long as you had a fuse in line! Simple to replace....

mechanic

If there was a fuse inline there should not have been any smoke if the polarity was hooked up wrong but this seems to NOT be the case since the radio was in use prior to this happening. The protection diode only comes into play if the power is hooked up backwards.

Pinched wire that shorter out possibly?? Might be a good idea look at the power cord to the radio. JMHO.

And let me say the power cord past the fuse itself. Look for any damage to this area, from beyond fuse to radio, a cut, pinch, or even the plug itself. JMHO. Worth checking at least.

if the radio's been installed and working for a while, I'd guess it's some of the caps going bad. I know my northstar is starting to have that problem.
easy enough to take care of if you've got some time, patience, and some soldering skills.
of course those failing caps may have shorted out other components, and that's a lot harder.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.