• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AlphaSpid Rotators

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
Anyone have any experience with them or know anyone that has? Over the next two summers I will be replacing and upgrading all my HF antennas including one new tower with some fairly large antennas on it and I need a decent HEAVY duty rotator. The Tailtwister T2X was being considered as was the Yaesu G-2800DXA until I stumbled across the AlphaSpid website. I have read the reviews on eHam.net but was looking for a real user I could converse with about them. I am looking at the AlphaSpid RAK.

http://alfaradio.ca/alfaspid.html

Looks MUCH BETTER than the HyGain at half the price.
Alfa Radio Ltd. Home of the ALFA SPID ROTATOR.
1 degree increments digitally controlled too
Yeowser!

Yeah, the 1/2 price part is misleading a bit. That is just the price of the actual rotator unit and does not include the controller when they say that. I like the fact that the DC motor will run on anything from 12 volts to over 24 volts. Speed and torque increase with the higher voltage. They also use a magnetic reed switch to count turns of the main drive motor to determine direction so no pots to get dirty or wear out. They are also computer control ready and with the proper software you can click on a world map display and the antenna will automatically turn to that direction. (y)

I am hoping to get a Hygain Explorer 14 with the 40m add-on kit and a Hygain DB-1217 as well so I need something big to turn the things. It also needs to be rock solid in the wind which is why the worm gear drive appeals to me. I have heard of too many instances where the brakes on the Hygain type rotators like the Tail Twister or Ham series would jam when the wind was blowing hard and not release until the wind pressure was released from the antenna array. Again, another advantage of the worm drive.

http://alfaradio.ca/docs/AlfaSpid_Price_June15_2009.pdf

I've been the yaesu route. They are great as long as you never need repair. If you do its cheaper just to buy a new one. I went back with a ham 4. At least I can get parts and repair it myself.(y)

I'm using this rotator with X7 since 7 years. Works perfect.
Mike

Good to hear that Mike. My antenna stack will be somewhat bigger than the X7 but the RAK should handle it no problem I think according to the specs. Have you ever had any trouble with the mast slipping in the rotator? If I get the RAK I may taper the ends of the mast mount bolts so that they dig into the mast so the mast does not rotate inside the rotator mount. Also did you run your cables up thru the rotator or around the rotator like a normal rotator would be?

My coax runs around, control cable goes from plastic box on the side.
I never had problems with mast slipping.
A friend of mine is using this rotator with 5 over 5 for 21MHZ without any problems.
In the near future I'm going to put 3 ele 40m Yagi on it with X7 over. It can handle this I'm sure.
Mike

My coax runs around, control cable goes from plastic box on the side.
I never had problems with mast slipping.
A friend of mine is using this rotator with 5 over 5 for 21MHZ without any problems.
In the near future I'm going to put 3 ele 40m Yagi on it with X7 over. It can handle this I'm sure.

Mike

That is good news to me. If things work out as I think they will I will end up with an Explorer 14 with 40m add on kit at 55 feet and a DB-1217 stacked above it. Both antennas have about a 15 foot boom and 30 foot elements except for the 40m element on the Explorer 14 that will be 41 ft. long. That's a lot of wind drag and rotational momentum to deal with especially in the wind. Now all I need is to start saving up for the tower to hang all that stuff on. :eek: I've got the antennas covered now and may order the Explorer 14 as soon as I get the old tower stripped. I plan to put the Explorer 14 on the old tower by itself with a backup Hygain rotator I have for now until everything else is purchased. When the new tower, hopefully a 56 foot Trylon Titan 500 series, goes up I will move all HF antennas over to it. Man, I feel a lot poorer just thinking about it. :cry:

BTW - what is the price on the controller?
You didn't say...

Yes I did. It was in the link above. :love:

Here it is again. http://alfaradio.ca/docs/AlfaSpid_Price_June15_2009.pdf

The model is the RAK Top line is for rotator and controller and the 2'nd and 3'rd lines are for the two individual components.

What I really like is that if the controller should fry the rotator can be run by simply connecting a 12 volt source to the motor. reversing the polarity reverses the motor. There would be no indicator of course, you would have to look out a window, but at least the antennas would not be in a fixed position.

Keep in mind the reed switch pulses degrade with long cable runs. Some manufacturers suggest using coax for the counter wiring.

M-squared makes some tough rotors too. I've been burned by many different rotors. I installed an M-Squared for a customer in a US Tower 106' telescoping model. The rotor has plenty of power but the %$^%%#(* DC motor screws loosened up causing missing and later NO pulses with a dash of troubleshooting.

You ask me, they all have problems. I still like prop pitches with selsyns.

Keep in mind the reed switch pulses degrade with long cable runs. Some manufacturers suggest using coax for the counter wiring.

M-squared makes some tough rotors too. I've been burned by many different rotors. I installed an M-Squared for a customer in a US Tower 106' telescoping model. The rotor has plenty of power but the %$^%%#(* DC motor screws loosened up causing missing and later NO pulses with a dash of troubleshooting.

HD,

Between the AS and the M2 which do you think is the better of the two for handling large wind load arrays? I have looked at the M2's but was unaware that AS made a rotor that would handle large wind load arrays. Not ever having had a beam I'm really a novice at what is available.

HD,

Between the AS and the M2 which do you think is the better of the two for handling large wind load arrays? I have looked at the M2's but was unaware that AS made a rotor that would handle large wind load arrays. Not ever having had a beam I'm really a novice at what is available.

Sorry, I've never had the opportunity to curse at a Spid rotor.

Never heard that one before. Why is that? Why would coax be better for counting simple contact closures? My total cable run will be less than 200 ft. I have seen some reports from users that are having no problems out to 500 ft using properly sized wire for the DC power and much smaller wires for the position sensor.

Sounds like a problem with M2. As for the prop pitch and selsyns that is way over kill for what I am proposing. IF you can find a good prop pitch motor and have it rebuilt into a rotator you will have a great rotator,no arguement from me on that, however as I said it is an expensive and unnecessary option I am not willing to entertain. Before I would go that route I woud get the even bigger Alphi Spid unit the BIG RAK.

Never heard that one before. Why is that? Why would coax be better for counting simple contact closures? My total cable run will be less than 200 ft. I have seen some reports from users that are having no problems out to 500 ft using properly sized wire for the DC power and much smaller wires for the position sensor.

Sounds like a problem with M2. As for the prop pitch and selsyns that is way over kill for what I am proposing. IF you can find a good prop pitch motor and have it rebuilt into a rotator you will have a great rotator,no arguement from me on that, however as I said it is an expensive and unnecessary option I am not willing to entertain. Before I would go that route I woud get the even bigger Alphi Spid unit the BIG RAK.

Download M-squared rotor manuals to see the coax run mentioned. They amplifiy pulses in the controller A long run of plain wire has poor noise rejection. If you know anyone with a M-Squared rotor and 500 feet of unshielded cable that doesn't lose counts I'd like their contact info.

If you get a good prop pitch it doesn't need to be rebuilt and should be relatively inexpensive.

How much $$$ are the rotors you are considering?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.