• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Am Phone

The house shack is coming together slowly. I have a bit of junk in there now.
Wife is going to flip!!

index.php

index.php

Since I have all this in the house I had to set up a small repair station:
index.php

Reactions: 2RT307
Well a 1625 is basically an 807 with a 12.6 volt filament . Other specifications are the same. The 6146 is a variant of the 807. I don't like the idea of running eight of them however. Pretty much akin of the old CB sweep tube amps. far too many tubes for the job. Time for bigger tubes. I personally would not run any more than four and preferably only two. I know it's only 75/80m we are talking but nevertheless. A pair of 807's should be able to provide a decent drive level for a big amp. We used a pair of them in class B audio service driving the grids of a pair of 833C's in the modulator stage and another pair driving the grids of a pair of 833C's in class C plate modulated service in our Gates 1 Kw AM transmitters.

The house shack is coming together slowly. I have a bit of junk in there now.
Wife is going to flip!!

index.php

index.php

Since I have all this in the house I had to set up a small repair station:
index.php

Nice set up. I especially like the top shelf. That Midland 13-898B brings back memories. It was my very first radio and what got me started. I was always an SSB'er from the start at 14 years of age.

Thanks,
The bottom shelf is a solid door core I picked up at a lumber yard that closed. The top shelf is a 2x12 wrapped in paneling and supported by 2 2x6 uprights, these are bolted together with 4x1/4 inch lag bolts. I think it will hold my truck!

Funny you mentioned the Midland. This was my first new base station I bought from Kings department store when I was 14 or 15. Had it ever since and it still works a charm. Original finals are in place. Even had it on 10 meters at one time plus it is a good AM performer.

Last edited:
WOW a great looking station, a nice accomplishment.

807 well when I got my ticket to celebrate anything in radio was a cold 807...can or bottle.
DOCTOR/795

Well a 1625 is basically an 807 with a 12.6 volt filament . Other specifications are the same. The 6146 is a variant of the 807. I don't like the idea of running eight of them however. Pretty much akin of the old CB sweep tube amps. far too many tubes for the job. Time for bigger tubes. I personally would not run any more than four and preferably only two. I know it's only 75/80m we are talking but nevertheless. A pair of 807's should be able to provide a decent drive level for a big amp. We used a pair of them in class B audio service driving the grids of a pair of 833C's in the modulator stage and another pair driving the grids of a pair of 833C's in class C plate modulated service in our Gates 1 Kw AM transmitters.

Yep I agree on the 807. I don't have any of them but have about 20 1625's.
8? only kidding, but you have to agree they would sure be purty sitting there glowing on a cold AM winter's night :D

WOW a great looking station, a nice accomplishment.

807 well when I got my ticket to celebrate anything in radio was a cold 807...can or bottle.
DOCTOR/795

Thanks,
It was easy to set up. Collecting all the equipment took a while lol.
I still have a shack full out in the shop, plus a lot of V/UHF stuff.

Looks good. I build my operating desk a few years ago as well. Instead of reposting everything here again I'll just post a link to the thread I started on it. The layout is pretty much the same but I think it will be rearranged this fall once I get back on the air and get a few things added/changed out like a remote antenna switch controller and a new Yaesu rotator controller and a few other little things.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/just-finished-building-my-new-radio-desk.73127/

Looks good. I build my operating desk a few years ago as well. Instead of reposting everything here again I'll just post a link to the thread I started on it. The layout is pretty much the same but I think it will be rearranged this fall once I get back on the air and get a few things added/changed out like a remote antenna switch controller and a new Yaesu rotator controller and a few other little things.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/just-finished-building-my-new-radio-desk.73127/

Thanks, All from scrap I had. I want to restain everything to a darker shade.
I just looked at yours, very nice and well done.

RT: IS that and National NCX-3 setting next to the 101's?
You don't see many National's any more. My Elmer had an NCX-5...it was a strong talker...
I had a NCL-2000 once and would love to find NCX-500 or a NCX 1000(extremely rare!)...
Very nice indeed
All the Best
Gary

Sold most of my Swans:cry: (had a 350D /500CX /700CX even a drifty 240)...
that's when I went to the Yaesu rigs
I still have a 700S/spr-ps/ Ext. VFO and Vox unit on the self(y)

Yep, early 62 model I do believe.
Radio likes a lot to be desired, not good on AM since it uses only one of the side bands with carrier, no CW side tone, no RIT, and uses sweep tubes as finals.
The 500 and 1000 were a bit better.

Yep, early 62 model I do believe.
Radio likes a lot to be desired, not good on AM since it uses only one of the side bands with carrier, no CW side tone, no RIT, and uses sweep tubes as finals.
The 500 and 1000 were a bit better.

The RIT was an issue, that's why most who operated the old National's has Ext VFO's with them...The side tone thing really back then was not that much of an issue, everyone had old TO keyers or oscillators and of course they all had side tone speakers!
I'm really showing my age now!
All the Best
Gary

MMM AM MODE !..

Indeed, I have been a SSB for years and not much for AM. Until I meet my Elmer, He is a BIG AM guy mostly 3.885 and 160M when the band is open. And now has me hooked on it.. I am in the middle of Building a 4-1000 Amp w/3100K plate volt @1. amp will only do 10-80 M but that all good for now, A 2nd amp is on the bench next for 160M only w/4X 572B tubes. The Xciter is modern gear for now a TS 570 D (G) but looking for some Vintage gear..

I have upped a pic of me working my Elmers station for W1AW/7 AM 3.885 and WHAT A BLAST it was.. ALL vintage gear Globe Scout 65A with a home brew Globe Master 2x 304TL's driving a 4-1000..
Even though I was saying Transmitting on 3.885 AM There was those that did not know how to work on AM and tried calling on SSB

AMPLITUDE MODULATION ................That was not on your test !

w1aw-7.jpg

RT: IS that and National NCX-3 setting next to the 101's?
You don't see many National's any more. My Elmer had an NCX-5...it was a strong talker...
I had a NCL-2000 once and would love to find NCX-500 or a NCX 1000(extremely rare!)...
Very nice indeed
All the Best
Gary

Sold most of my Swans:cry: (had a 350D /500CX /700CX even a drifty 240)...
that's when I went to the Yaesu rigs
I still have a 700S/spr-ps/ Ext. VFO and Vox unit on the self(y)

Land Air Communications has some National stuff... better bring your big checkbook, though! http://www.landaircom.com/transceivers.txt

Brett

I've operated AM for quite a long time, almost exclusively on 3885 in the mornings. Not a rag chewer per se, nor a DX chaser, or contester. Just like spending a few minutes with "the guys" every morning. Currently using either a Gonset GSB100/Hali SX101/Nat NCL2000, ancient Collins TCS Rx/Tx/Clipperton L, or national NCX5 with the national amp. I like repairing test gear, radios, or building more so than operating I think. Currently working on a Hammarlund SP-600 and hope to have it done in a week or two.

I've had Gonset twins, arc-5s, and a Yaesu 990 on AM, and soon a 101B. I'll have to look into the AM mods and see if I want to incorporate them in my "new" 101. I was first licensed in '53 when almost everything was AM. I liked the fidelity of AM then, and still do.

NuTstBnch32_zps8927bd89.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.