• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur Radio doesn't get much uglier.....

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
I spent some time today cleaning up my photo album here at WWFR, and added a couple new ones in the process.

Just in case some of you guys never get around to checking out the Station photo section, I figured I toss my ugly mug up here so you all can see first hand what's on the other side of the microphone.....or computer keyboard....:D

If there's small children in the room, you might want to cover their eyes.....:eek:

TheShack005.jpg

Last edited:

So - do you still have your 10-meter radio?
I didn't see it in the picture...

BTW-If you have a laptop or PC out in your shack, and get a fair-quality headset/microphone, all you ned to do is run the ECHOLINK.
Then, you can get to my area via the ECHOLINK system and we can have a QSO. You don't even need your 2 meter radio; the ECHOLINK allows you to enter repeaters all over the world. Look up the ECHOLINK software on the internet, set it up (easy), they will want to verify your callsign, and then you are good to go.
Excellent; you should give it a spin!!

http://www.echolink.org/

Last edited:
I got the laptop Rob, but no internet connection....not yet anyway...

If I don't need the radio, then will this Echolink thing work from the house computer.....?

We do have a Cisco wireless broadband router in the house with 3 computers and my son's X-box hardwired through it, maybe I can get the thingie for the laptop to connect via the wireless part, and get on the net that way...

The Dragon SS-497+ got sold to a fellow HAM that lives around the corner from me, he did the mods to it, and is mounting it in his Chevy Blazer...(I had to sell it to pay for the antenna tuner)

I got the laptop Rob, but no internet connection....not yet anyway...

If I don't need the radio, then will this Echolink thing work from the house computer.....?

We do have a Cisco wireless broadband router in the house with 3 computers and my son's X-box hardwired through it, maybe I can get the thingie for the laptop to connect via the wireless part, and get on the net that way...

The Dragon SS-497+ got sold to a fellow HAM that lives around the corner from me, he did the mods to it, and is mounting it in his Chevy Blazer...(I had to sell it to pay for the antenna tuner)
Yes; the Echolink will work from the house computer. And it will work thru your wireless modem out to the shack once your laptop gets either a hard-wire connection from your modem (most wireless modem/routers have a couple of plugs for had wires too) or a wireless connection.

How do you access the internet from your laptop in the house? You will need to do that much - that is all that is necessary.

Once the internet is working on your laptop, you may need to borrow Junior's headset and plug it in, run the Echolink program, pick a repeater ANYWHERE in the world, and you're off to the races!

Last edited:
Ya Echolink Was Cool Till I Got An ANTENNA ! Then The Skies the Limit ,I Want PROPAGATION ! If I Wanted too use the Internet I Would Go Too The Computer ! Man Use you're Radio GEEKOLINK IS NOT FOR ME!!!!!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.