• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amateur radio easly moded to 11 meters ?

B

BOOTY MONSTER

are there any new fairly inexpensive ham radios easily moded to 11 meters . i keep reading about how much better they recieve and the tx clarity too . ive seen this....
http://www.texastowers.com/ic718.htm
but i dont need that much band coverage or want to inverst that much . im pretty sure something used is gonna be my best option but i thought id ask you guys .

off topic , but , ive found theres about a half dozen ham meetings a month within 10 miles of me and im thinking about going and after a bit trying for a liscense . should i hide my 10k and export so i dont get bashed ? lol . ive herd some hammies dont like cb'ers comming around . :shock: :LOL:

dont worry about it, now with the tech no code (or tech now i guess) you have acess to 10m usb. you would be able to use your privilages as soon as you get your licence. at least you have stuff you can use (many of the exports wont do 10m voice and 11m at the same time so you might have to unmod it)

just have fun, the whole reason i got my general licence was to use 10m voice, after i got my code and upgraded the damn fcc droped code, i should have waited.

my current export does voice on 10 and 11 meters , but , only one at a time . im just kinda thinking ahead for when the lease on this apt runs out this spring cause im hoping to move . id like to set up a clean but inexpensive base . im planning to get some sort of ham liscense between now and then so id like to be able to make use of that with what i get .
thanks

Booty,

If at all possible try not to go the inexpensive route. I'm not talking about spending a mint. :shock: Go ahead and invest in a HF,VHF,UHF rig. You could sell off some of your current rig(s) :cry: and add some $$$ to that and get a decent rig which will give you greater access to the Amateur bands ;) . As a result when you get your Tech License you'll have a rig that will do HF 10/11m (you'll get to use the other bands once you upgrade to General 8) ) and also have access to the VHF,UHF repeaters in your area 8) . The Yaesu 857D or the Icom706MKIIG are good choices among some others that can be had for reasonable $$$. Yes, both of these rigs will mod for 11m ;) . Face it :roll: , you're gonna end up spending some more $$$$ on this hobby so go ahead and do it now so that when you upgrade you'll already have a rig in place to use on the other bands. Then it will just be a question of which antenna(s) you're gonna build or buy for that access. :p Hope this helps!

Wayne C.

Hey Booty,

I don't know what your goals are for ham, but I have a general ticket (and just got it by the way), and simply do not use it.

You'll see by my rig/antenna/etc. list that I have a mixture of equipment.... I still think the exports work better for 11 meter (IMHO).

I have local cb buddies who use exports (or straight-up cb's), and not so much the HF equipment you've been hearing about.

But, having said that.... I still would not be without an HF/VHF/UHF radio!!!!

I'm rarely on those frequencies allocated to the general, but hey, I have the ability now and that's what matters.

In sum, I hope you would perhaps "consider" using both a 10 meter/cb and an HF/VHF/UHF rig.

ive got several months to figgure it out . i have thought about the seperate cb and ham route . as far as the ticket goes i figgure why not . the worst that could happen is i spend a few bucks and waste a lil time on something i dont use . and of course theres always the possibility (hopefully) that i learn more about the radio hobby . also , i kind of get the impression that if i have problems with neighbors that having a ham ticket to show local police (if it got that far) could nip it in the bud . i dont want an over modulated harmonic ridden splatter station anyhow . im just kind of exploring options now and will decide later what i want to do , i just want to make an informed decision when i get to that point .

Booty,

You may want to google PRB-1 and the ARRL. PRB-1 is a law that has been implemented in half the states (in the last 22 years), that gives you further ammunition in the area of ham radio, antennas, and neighbors.

I'm still learning more about it myself.......

BOOTY MONSTER,
Everyone has their idea of what makes for the 'perfect' radio. And, that idea changes over time ("Oh look-it-dat, bet that would be nice!"). Probably the 'best' way of finding that 'perfect' radio is by getting your hands on one, twiddle the knobs, kick the tires sort of thing. That's also the hardest to do, where do you find those thingys? So, when you have the chance, go look. Making yourself a 'pest' at commercial stores is okay, it's expected. But be nice when looking at someone's radios at their house.
My idea of a 'perfect' radio isn't going to be the same as someone else's in most cases, it varies a lot, just like finding that 'perfect' place to live. Takes a lot of 'looking' sometimes.
Having told you stuff that you already know, I'll quit.
- 'Doc

{And it really is true, if you ain't got Kenwood, you DO got squat!}
;)

BOOTY MONSTER said:
ive got several months to figgure it out . i have thought about the seperate cb and ham route . as far as the ticket goes i figgure why not . the worst that could happen is i spend a few bucks and waste a lil time on something i dont use . and of course theres always the possibility (hopefully) that i learn more about the radio hobby . also , i kind of get the impression that if i have problems with neighbors that having a ham ticket to show local police (if it got that far) could nip it in the bud . i dont want an over modulated harmonic ridden splatter station anyhow . im just kind of exploring options now and will decide later what i want to do , i just want to make an informed decision when i get to that point .

Purely as info, you should know that it ain't kosher to run the ham equipment on CB. Illegal, ya know! IF you get the ticket, it is best to keep the two activities separate. Should you happen to catch FCC's attention and they learn that you are also running ham gear on 27 MHZ, it is likely to cost you a fine AND the license you worked for. Several hams who couldn't turn loose of 27 MHZ and ran their ham gear on CB have been caught lately. Nothing wrong with talking on CB, ya understand---just not OK to run the ham gear there. Some folks DO it, but that's their own sandbox if they get caught.

This is not to rag on you, simply information you can/should be aware of. I read about new hams posting on forums how they run their "export" radios on both CB and ham, and it is not advisable to do that. YMMV.

CWM

thats a very important and appreciated heads up CW . thank you .

i seen it mentioned in another post somewhere but ill ask here . can a antenna switch box also be used in reverse to switch between different radios and one antenna ? say i have an antenna thats covers 10-40 meters (or with the use of an antenna tuner) and i want to switch between a ham rig and a cb on that same antenna . as long as the switch handles the power and bandwidth should there be any suprises ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio