• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron AL-1500 Strange Issue

Ranch55

Jan 18, 2016
Fredericksburg, Texas
The strangest thing happened the other night when using my Ameritron AL-1500 amplifier.
While tuning the amp for one of the HF bands, I happened to be glancing at the top of the cabinet. I heard a light sizzling sound at the same time I saw some dim lighting come from the outlet vent on top of the cabinet.
It was very brief, and did not happen again. The amplifier tuned up just fine and operated just fine for the rest of the evening. I initially thought that maybe some dust had accumulated and just "burned off".....
Yesterday morning, I unplugged the amp, made sure all power was discharged, and removed the cabinet cover. Needless to say, there was some dust, but not much.

But what I did find surprised me.
The Plate tuning capacitor, C19 I think it is, had a cracked, broken ceramic insulator on the far end that connects to the two doorknob caps, which connects to the top of the 3CX1500A7 Eimac tube.
Everything was still in it's place except there were small pieces of the broken insulator sitting in the bottom of the chassis.
This amp has not been bumped around, or moved at all. AND it was still operating normally.
I can't even figure what the heck ........
I have had this amplifier for 3 1/2 years. I bought it used in August 2018 from an estate sale. It was still packaged in the original packaging and had never been used. The manufacturing date was in April 2013.
The operator who had originally purchased it had never unboxed and used it. An older gentleman who became ill shortly after delivery to him.
Well, the short version is that I was fortunate to have found it and bought it from the estate for $3500 .....
The amplifier now lists for $5,000, more or less, depending on where you look.

Bottom line is that I contacted MFJ/Ameritron, and they are sending me a new plate tuning capacitor and the two doorknob capacitors. They did have the parts listed in their catalog. And I am paying for the parts.

The white ceramic insulator that supports the fixed plates of the Plate Tune control is incredibly brittle.

It could have been cracked years ago just from a shock in shipping. If all the fasteners were tight, you would have had to look very closely to see it.

But with the passage of time, and with repeated cycles of temperature rise and fall things work loose a little at a time.

Until something gets loose enough to arc over.

Might be what happened,

I ordered some electrical insulating grade micarta, 1/4" and 5/16" thick pieces.
After I get the new plate tuning capacitor installed, I am going to attempt to fabricate an insulator to install in place of the broken ceramic insulator. It looks to be straight forward, maybe just a little tedious and meticulous. But I believe I can do it.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

Yo Ranch55: Great photos shows all, and good fix. I have never liked nuts directly up against ceramic insulators without a flat washer to smooth the pressure against the ceramic insulator and not have a twisted force against it.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles"

Reactions: Ranch55 and NZ8N
Okay, new update ......

I am very satisfied with my craftsmanship and fabrication of the piece to repair the part.

However, using the LE Micarta is not the material to use.
This material is very strong structurally and a very good electrical insulator, but it is not good for a high heat environment such as inside this big tube amplifier.

It started doing some "off gassing" when it came up to temperature and got hot.
Very stinky, burnt type smell.

So I pulled the repaired part back out and installed the brand new part that I had on hand.
I'll need to do some research for a more compatible material that is cost effective.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.