• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp question

With the swing mod or without? Also, when I was looking at the Texas Star the website said a crystal had to be installed to determine the frequency. Where would you get one and how hard is it to install.

Thanks again

Since amplifiers are illegal on 11m's Texas Star gets around that issue like this. They sell 10m CW transmitters, right out of the box that's all they do. Most shops will as a matter of common practice "convert" the CW transmitter for you as part of the sale. You then have an amplifier that will work on 10 & 11m.

My biggest reason for saying the TNT 600hd is that at least he won't over drive it with the radio he has or many other radios for that matter. The new TNT 350HD's aren't like the old ones. Not many have used them to my knowledge, and X-force has changed the literature in the specs area of the amps to now say 50 watts max carrier on the TNT 350HD. I think 5 watts dead key is a bit too much. Radio will have to be either have the power turned back to at least a 2 watt dead key or less possibly, and I'm not sure about the pep numbers. I'd say 20-25 watts pep max is all they could take. You may see more watts but at the expense of heat. JMHO on that. At least with his current radio setup just the way it is, he could at best loaf the TNT 600hd along and it wouldn't get hot either and he could always upgrade to a better radio in the future and still use the amp as well. He would be limited to single final radios or dual final radios with the power turned back to use the TNT 350HD. Again, JMHO. For the extra $120 to get the 600hd vs. the 350hd, I'd spend the extra money and have an amp you can grow into if needed. Better to loaf an amp then drive the piss out of it!! I've learned my lesson about that myself! Watts aren't everything!! Keep it clean and mean. And, Antenna system should be at its best before any of this is done!!! JMO. Have a good one. And good luck to the poster. Keep us informed as to what you get.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
Hey guys,

Just a quick question... Can't find a clear answer on the internet. Can you run a radio doing 5w dead key swinging to 20w into a X-force TNT 2 pill? If not that amp, which one could possibly? I know its better to have a lower dead key, but I cant do the mod right now.

Thanks

that partially depends on how the amplifier is biased. for best results it should be put on an oscilloscope before making any adjustments to the radio

so 4 swinging 20 is fine for a texas star, but 5 swinging 20 is way too much for a high drive?

You can run your Texas Star how ever you want. I'm saying all a TS350 needs is 1.5-3 watts dead key input. Once you get in the 4-7 watt range the amplifier runs very hot, has a big dead key out, and the audio starts to sound crunchy and on the edge of being overmodulated. Then what happens is you burn up the keying transistor and the variable power control VR on the front of the radio also gets damaged as well. If you run it at say a 2 watt dead key or 16-20 watts PEP on SSB the amp will last for ever and run cool. A Texas Star 500 would be a better choice for a 4-7 watt dead key.

Here is a nice review by a forum member about what I am saying. He even suggests a .75-1 watt dead key. There are many amplifiers out there that have HD stamped on them, cber's like to see that even if it ain't true.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Amplifier Reviews/Texas Star DX350/Texas Star 350DX Review.html

Last edited:
If you really think 5w dead key isn't too much for a ts350hd I'd like to see one keyed up with a 5w dead key!! Wonder how long it would last?? Probably not long. The high drive BS is just that, BS. Keep the dead key to 2-3 watts max. Truly you need to set the amp up by how much the amp keys up at. It may take less then a watt. I know that a 2 pill amp should have no more than about 40-50 watts carrier max. Anymore is just over driving the amp. Like 9C1Driver stated, all that may be needed is .25-1 watt in some cases. I own an old magnaforce 350hd and I wouldn't even think of putting a 5w dead key into it!! No way no how. Not at the cost of 2 Toshiba 2879's!! Keep the dead key input down to 1-3 watts max and pep wattage at 15-20 watts for a 2 pill amp. Anymore and it is just showing more watts that aren't doing any good. Keep it clean and mean. I've both the magnaforce 350hd and a TNT 600hd, and both serve their purpose. Like I said, I would not even think of keying up my 2 pill amp with a 5w dead key. I like my Toshiba transistors too much I suppose. In the end it's your choice, but the newer amps like the TNT 350hd aren't like they used to be built. Parts and input numbers have changed. Take this into account when choosing your amp and also keep in mind that like I said, better to loaf an amp along rather than to over drive one. This is JMHO and experience with both the magnaforce 350hd and an older TNT 600hd. Here is a pic to prove I have both as well. Have a good one, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
You can run your Texas Star how ever you want. I'm saying all a TS350 needs is 1.5-3 watts dead key input. Once you get in the 4-7 watt range the amplifier runs very hot, has a big dead key out, and the audio starts to sound crunchy and on the edge of being overmodulated. Then what happens is you burn up the keying transistor and the variable power control VR on the front of the radio also gets damaged as well. If you run it at say a 2 watt dead key or 16-20 watts PEP on SSB the amp will last for ever and run cool. A Texas Star 500 would be a better choice for a 4-7 watt dead key.

Here is a nice review by a forum member about what I am saying. He even suggests a .75-1 watt dead key. There are many amplifiers out there that have HD stamped on them, cber's like to see that even if it ain't true.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Amplifier Reviews/Texas Star DX350/Texas Star 350DX Review.html

I know I can run my equipment how I like, that's why my dx500 got just enough dead key to click the relays and never more than 12 watts peak.
so you're basically saying that there's no difference between the texas star 350 and the texas star 350 high drive?
everything you've said has been about the 350. even the review is about the 350.

I'm trying to find contact info for texas star, but I'm not finding anything.

If you want to run a 350 size 2 x 2879 amp then just do the mod to lower deadkey or have your tech do it. If you do it yourself it might cost you $10 in parts. 350 size amp will cost you around $200.

If you don't want to mod anything then go for a 4 x 2879 amp - $400 but keep in mind your alternator has to be able to run it, you'll need high quality power wire, and you antenna has to be high power to handle it.

Honestly - there is no need to go with a 4 pill. For less than the cost of the 4 pill you could buy a Galaxy 959 with varialbe power + a 2 pill and your problem is solved and you can start enjoying SSB. Hell, you could even buy a 2970dx or 2970N2 for as much as a new 4 pill tnt.

Reactions: Nick23
If you want to run a 350 size 2 x 2879 amp then just do the mod to lower deadkey or have your tech do it. If you do it yourself it might cost you $10 in parts. 350 size amp will cost you around $200.

If you don't want to mod anything then go for a 4 x 2879 amp - $400 but keep in mind your alternator has to be able to run it, you'll need high quality power wire, and you antenna has to be high power to handle it.

Honestly - there is no need to go with a 4 pill. For less than the cost of the 4 pill you could buy a Galaxy 959 with varialbe power + a 2 pill and your problem is solved and you can start enjoying SSB. Hell, you could even buy a 2970dx or 2970N2 for as much as a new 4 pill tnt.

Now you got me thinking... A Galaxy 979 starlight faceplate and a TNT 2 pill. Can never have to many radio's!! Comes out to 390 not including shipping. Haha... this is going to take some CAREFUL thinking.

Never had a ssb radio, might be time for one.

I have a Crown Vic police package, it has a 200amp alternator and a Predator 10k. That's covered.(y)

Thanks for all the help guys...
I'll post pics of the completed install.

Reactions: psycho
I'm pretty sure with a 200A alt you would have zero issue running a TNT 600hd with your cobra 29. The price difference from the TNT 350hd to the 600hd is only $120. So if you can get a 979 and have it tuned and aligned like it really needs to be, by a good tech, then by all means have at it. Just remeber that with the TNT 350hd you are limited to which radios you can use versus the 600hd. Especially with the new transistors that are being used!! If anyone can truly say the PP100's are a good transistor and will hold up to max input, then hey go for it!! I just don't think there is much info out there as far as how well the PP100's work. I'll say it one last time and leave it be. Better to Loaf an amp along then to drive the Piss out of it!! And with that, re read the posts Crusher made about the new PP100's. He knows his stuff about amps!! Not saying anyone else doesn't and by no means am I an amp guru. What I have learned has been from guys that know about amps. Not BBI types either;). Keep it clean and mean!! JMHO. Good luck with whatever you decide. For the money you are spending you might want to hold off and look at some other radios as well and then make your final decision as to which radio/amp to use. Like Big Kahuna stated, a simple cap and resistor mod will get your dead key down. Not hard to do and as long as your limiter hasn't been clipped you should be fine performing the mod to lower your dead key. Couple dollars in parts to make it happen.
Anyway. Have a Merry Christmas!!

Reactions: milkman21218
I know 2 people who have one and they run the key up to 100 watts and they sound excellent. They also drive it with a 1 pill keying 3 watts swinging 100 peak.

Now you got me thinking... A Galaxy 979 starlight faceplate and a TNT 2 pill. Can never have to many radio's!! Comes out to 390 not including shipping. Haha... this is going to take some CAREFUL thinking.

Never had a ssb radio, might be time for one.

I have a Crown Vic police package, it has a 200amp alternator and a Predator 10k. That's covered.(y)

Thanks for all the help guys...
I'll post pics of the completed install.

With all the ground plane on a Crown Vic, you should be mauling all the guys with small vehicles and much bigger amps.

Are we speaking about the TNT 600hd psycho?? Or the older TNT 350hd? The ones with the Toshiba 2879's that were the older models could take some input. My magnaforce 350hd would take a lot of pep input. Dead key stayed at about 2w on radio and pep would reach 80 watts. I used it with a magnum 257hp for a while until it fried the keying circuit. My lesson was learned!! Now unless the amp has been padded/attenuated at the input, I wouldn't run a 1 pill into the new TNT 350hd, older ones using Toshiba 2879's is a different story vs the new PP100's!! JMHO.

Are we speaking about the TNT 600hd psycho?? Or the older TNT 350hd? The ones with the Toshiba 2879's that were the older models could take some input. My magnaforce 350hd would take a lot of pep input. Dead key stayed at about 2w on radio and pep would reach 80 watts. I used it with a magnum 257hp for a while until it fried the keying circuit. My lesson was learned!! Now unless the amp has been padded/attenuated at the input, I wouldn't run a 1 pill into the new TNT 350hd, older ones using Toshiba 2879's is a different story vs the new PP100's!! JMHO.

The one he has uses the DEI pills. I saw it on a Bird 43P and with 3 watts key from the 1 pill it'll key 100 swinging to 400 all day long. The Toshiba equipped 350s do about 20% more. I don't know of anyone using a pee pee equipped amp but if they are made in china.........we know how that goes.
Xforce EXTREMELY overrated the output peak numbers with their DEI amps. The DEI TNT 600 4 pills don't do over 700 watts peak even if you drive the ever loving snot out of them....they were rated at 1000 watts peak. LOL

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.